View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 05, 2005, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SF
We've had a number of issues come up in league play the past couple of weeks (every year, as the weather gets hotter, so do the coaches) that there's been quite a bit of disagreement and discussion about. Just wondering what everyone else thinks...

Would you...

Eject a coach for throwing a bat against a bat rack (filled with other bats) as a reaction to an error by his players?

Probably not. I doubt I would be looking at the coach and see the full sequence, and I wouldn't want to eject without that full observation.

Eject a coach for throwing a bat against a bat rack as a reaction to a call he disagreed with?

If I saw the whole sequence, and was sure that reaction was directed at me or my partner, yes. Otherwise, coach will certainly gain closer scrutiny, and will certainly be advised accordingly.

Eject a coach for bringing a rulebook on the field, wanting to "discuss" a rule interpretation?

The rulebook in his possession is not an automatic ejection in my game. It may be in possession, but not open nor pointed to during a "discussion". Coach may refer to it after leaving the field, and I will give a few seconds after the "discussion" to enable a quick reference and decision to protest or not.

Stop to answer a parent's question after the game? Would it matter how they approached you?

I do that all the time; certainly the demeanor makes a difference. But, when asked in a reasonable manner, I am always willing to help educate the parents and coaches. I am also the ASA Player Rep, so that adds a certain secondary responsibility to me to be an ambassador for ASA Softball, but this is a title I received because I have always attempted to be that ambassador, not a responsibility I accepted due to the title.

Ever not wear a chest protector?

To turn that around, my personal decision is to not wear a chest protector. I own one, it is in my vehicle, but I choose to not wear it at this point. I am 52, have umpired fastpitch for more than 30 years, and still have never worn a chest protector in youth, NCAA, or even men's tournaments. I have never been given a bad evaluation on my plate game despite the advice of ASA NUS that I "can't" be effective without it, and I have umpired at many of the highest level tournaments (with Sunday assignments, I might add), including 2 18U Golds, Men's Masters 40&Over, and Men's A.

I make these statements, not to toot my horn, but to reflect that I believe it is fully possible to be a totally effective umpire at the highest levels of fastpitch and still make the choice to not wear a chest protector. I teach and preach to ALL new umpires to wear whatever it takes for them to stay still and call the pitches; I don't attempt to comvince anyone else that my personal choice is appropriate for them. For those who make the choice to wear one (obviously the vast majority), I fully respect your decision. To those who insist to judge others by their decisons, too bad; it is, and remains my decision.