The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Let's go back to the obstruction rule (the defense impeding the offense) and the possibility of it being verbal, then apply that to the examples above.
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
Let's go back to the obstruction rule (the defense impeding the offense) and the possibility of it being verbal, then apply that to the examples above.
Only a catcher may obstruct a batter and I don't believe it applies.

I still say Rule 10.9, works well with a little common sense and temperment. I cannot help it and rules should not be rewritten because some umpires get overzealous in the rules as they perceive them. We see that on these boards on a regular basis.

Rant on!

It's just like these guys who meet for ground rules and offer a littany of do's and don'ts for THEIR game. Well, guess what fellas? It isn't YOUR game. It's a game which you are working for someone else.

We've had people on this board ready and willing to throw kids out of the game for not controlling their bat, but it's okay to scream at the opponent as long as it isn't nasty. Give me a break. What is nasty, dirty or profanity? Should there be a list? Maybe George Carlin can develop one for us.

It's not the words, but the context and manner in which they are used. If it is obvious that the action and words cannot be meant for anything other than affecting the opponent's play, then it is unsportsmanlike conduct (rule 10.9). Hopefully, we are not out there trying to impose a particular social value of zero tolerance on others whom perceive nothing is wrong, thus we give warnings.

If you are a player on a field which I am working, you can say just about anything you want as long as it isn't directed at or about the umpire or opponent. I don't even get upset if a player curses as I DON'T CARE if it is not directed at or about me, my partner or the opponent. I will request the player(s) to keep it down. I may even go to the coach for help. I am not going to eject them. If I do, it's because they turned on me when I asked them to quiet down. What I will not put up with is an out of control game.

As noted before, the disparity among the umpire's opinions is huge. However, the impact of some words varies immensely depending upon the person using it, where they are from, where they are standing at the time along with the same conditions applied to the person to which the word is directed.

Who determines what is permissible and what is not? ****ing, frigging, fricking, humping, boinking, boffing, screwing. All words used to describe one particular sexual act, yet some are allowed and others are not. What makes one word worse than the other if they all project the same image?

I have seen umpires toss players for virtually inaudible general mumblings just because they "thought" it could have been profanity.

I'm not the language police or social director, I'm the umpire. I work the game being played on the field. I WILL keep control of that game regardless of the manner in which the players act.

Rant off!

Sorry, got a bit carried away, but have no problem with it.

Old Mon May 03, 2004, 06:34pm
Official Forum Member

Rick,

I even had a catcher for 2 years who barked. She had 4 different barks. Everything from a Chihuaha to a stinkin' Rottweiler. The first time she did the Rottweiler."

We had one of those in Houston last year. I think she
was from the Austin area. With Storm. She eventually
had everyone barking to see who was the best. She did
her act mostly from the stands.
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 10:30pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by whiskers_ump
Rick,

I even had a catcher for 2 years who barked. She had 4 different barks. Everything from a Chihuaha to a stinkin' Rottweiler. The first time she did the Rottweiler."

We had one of those in Houston last year. I think she
was from the Austin area. With Storm. She eventually
had everyone barking to see who was the best. She did
her act mostly from the stands.
Ya know, you just gotta have fun with this, or it just ain't worth it. A barking contest? I may set one up at the next tournament. Grand Prize? Maybe an altered bat that looks like a bone now.
Old Mon May 03, 2004, 11:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
Only a catcher may obstruct a batter and I don't believe it applies.

I still say Rule 10.9, works well with a little common sense and temperment. I cannot help it and rules should not be rewritten because some umpires get overzealous in the rules as they perceive them. We see that on these boards on a regular basis.

Rant on!

It's just like these guys who meet for ground rules and offer a littany of do's and don'ts for THEIR game. Well, guess what fellas? It isn't YOUR game. It's a game which you are working for someone else.

We've had people on this board ready and willing to throw kids out of the game for not controlling their bat, but it's okay to scream at the opponent as long as it isn't nasty. Give me a break. What is nasty, dirty or profanity? Should there be a list? Maybe George Carlin can develop one for us.

It's not the words, but the context and manner in which they are used. If it is obvious that the action and words cannot be meant for anything other than affecting the opponent's play, then it is unsportsmanlike conduct (rule 10.9). Hopefully, we are not out there trying to impose a particular social value of zero tolerance on others whom perceive nothing is wrong, thus we give warnings.

If you are a player on a field which I am working, you can say just about anything you want as long as it isn't directed at or about the umpire or opponent. I don't even get upset if a player curses as I DON'T CARE if it is not directed at or about me, my partner or the opponent. I will request the player(s) to keep it down. I may even go to the coach for help. I am not going to eject them. If I do, it's because they turned on me when I asked them to quiet down. What I will not put up with is an out of control game.

As noted before, the disparity among the umpire's opinions is huge. However, the impact of some words varies immensely depending upon the person using it, where they are from, where they are standing at the time along with the same conditions applied to the person to which the word is directed.

Who determines what is permissible and what is not? ****ing, frigging, fricking, humping, boinking, boffing, screwing. All words used to describe one particular sexual act, yet some are allowed and others are not. What makes one word worse than the other if they all project the same image?

I have seen umpires toss players for virtually inaudible general mumblings just because they "thought" it could have been profanity.

I'm not the language police or social director, I'm the umpire. I work the game being played on the field. I WILL keep control of that game regardless of the manner in which the players act.

Rant off!

Sorry, got a bit carried away, but have no problem with it.

Meanwhile.. after 1 1/2 hours of the loudest 12U girls tonight, hey batta batta, and every chant you can imagine.. several particularly whiney coachs (on each side) appealing everything .. including attempting to invent a few rules of their own.. and even a score keep who complained a girl left the bag early on a steal.. I have returned barely scared for life and without any ejections..

I agree with mikes post 100%.... and while it certianly wasnt me having fun tonight... some kids were and I guess thats what counts.