Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by TexBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by IRISHMAFIA
Quote:
Originally posted by BBallCoach
Tex Blue,

This is plain and simple you let all of those young athletes done by not being able to do your job. You can have whatever excuse in the world for why you could not get into position without getting screened. Bottom line is you failed in your job and that is something you need to deal with.

That's right.

Rick, you suck.
Mike
OK, ya got me. I choked on my tea when I read the 1st sentence. From now on, I'll just put the glass down, read the post, pick the glass back up and reflect upon what was said. I hate cleaning up messes like that.

Actually, I was calling a real small tournament last night, before all the storms blew in and walked onto the field. Guess who was on defense. The team that got the raw end of the deal. I did a double take, almost started to run, then decided, what the heck, get it over with. At the plate, the coach even talked about it, said she understood and there wasn't anything I could do. Of course, it helped that one of the parents had a digital recording of the whole play from behind the plate. They were all fine and we had a good time before the rain ruined it.
Rick,
We got the storms before noon here today. I got in two games
of an AFA Advancement tournament.

Glad I read all Mikes post also. Knew it was not like him to blast
a fellow blue. Coach, maybe.

Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Sat Apr 24, 2004, 09:21pm
Official Forum Member

I feel like I am at the first of the HS season with the weather being the way it is. Last night, had a team playing that if they won, they would be in a tie in their district for first place. So you know that they were determined to get this game in. During the second inning, a heavy wave of rain moved in. Fortunately, the home team had a tarp which they quickly got out on the infield. We all waited about thirty minutes for the rains to pass, and proceeded with the game. Got it in, and the team that won will be in a tiebreaker game on Monday. We started the JV almost immediately after that, and just got to the top of the second before lightning and rain forced us to call it off. Now I have lost a college game this morning, and several tournament games tonight and tomorrow. Sigh....

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sat Apr 24, 2004, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Quote:
Originally posted by Skahtboi
I feel like I am at the first of the HS season with the weather being the way it is. Last night, had a team playing that if they won, they would be in a tie in their district for first place. So you know that they were determined to get this game in. During the second inning, a heavy wave of rain moved in. Fortunately, the home team had a tarp which they quickly got out on the infield. We all waited about thirty minutes for the rains to pass, and proceeded with the game. Got it in, and the team that won will be in a tiebreaker game on Monday. We started the JV almost immediately after that, and just got to the top of the second before lightning and rain forced us to call it off. Now I have lost a college game this morning, and several tournament games tonight and tomorrow. Sigh....
Now, see, that's what ya get for calling in Dallas County. The little tournament I was talking about got a little over 3 inches of rain last night and today. I got a call about 9:45 tonight, they're playing tomorrow starting at 11:00. I'm taking my flippers and snorkel, just in case.
Old Sun Apr 25, 2004, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Rick,

Checked my rain gague at 6:30 PM (sunday) and had 4 1/4"
since Saturday when rains started about 10:30AM. Hope
rains go away. Have two playoff games this week. One
3A and one 4A.
--Mark Twain.
Old Sun Apr 25, 2004, 09:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by whiskers_ump
Rick,

Checked my rain gague at 6:30 PM (sunday) and had 4 1/4"
since Saturday when rains started about 10:30AM. Hope
rains go away. Have two playoff games this week. One
3A and one 4A.
Hey, good luck with them. It's supposed to clear out here tomorrow morning. Of course, there's more some more bad boys movin' in from the Panhandle right now.

Have a blast in the playoffs!!!
Old Mon Apr 26, 2004, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Cool Nice weather

It's a balmy 63 degrees today...partly cloudy/mostly sunny. Perfect softball weather.
Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Question

Quote:
Of course, it helped that one of the parents had a digital recording of the whole play from behind the plate. They were all fine and we had a good time before the rain ruined it.
So, TexBlue or anyone else, would you have had any objection to the parent taking the recording to the UIC or TD to get the call corrected?

GaryB
Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GaryBarrentine
Quote:
Of course, it helped that one of the parents had a digital recording of the whole play from behind the plate. They were all fine and we had a good time before the rain ruined it.
So, TexBlue or anyone else, would you have had any objection to the parent taking the recording to the UIC or TD to get the call corrected?

GaryB
#1 The UIC doesn't have the authority to change this call;
#2 I don't care who has what, it is a judgment call;
#3 The UIC doesn't have the authority to change this call;
#4 Instant replay is not available at all angles of all games, therefore, is not a source of reference.
#5 The UIC doesn't have the authority to change this call;
#6 As the UIC, I don't have the authority to change this call.

etc., etc., etc.

Now we can hear all the idiots who want us to ignore the rule book for the sake of the players. They must believe it is possible as many coaches teach their players to circumvent the rules on a regular basis.

BTW, did I happen to mention the UIC doesn't have the authority to change this call?

Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 12:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

GaryB
No, I have no objection to the parent taking the recording to the UIC or TD. Why would I object to a parent wasting their time (and the UIC's / TD's - unless I'm the UIC or TD, that is!)

The UIC cannot change this call. (Is there an echo in here... or maybe it's just deja vu... I seem to have a feeling that I've heard that before ...)
Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

You know, I think there is some sort of a theme running through this particular thread!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dakota
Quote:
Quote:

GaryB
No, I have no objection to the parent taking the recording to the UIC or TD. Why would I object to a parent wasting their time (and the UIC's / TD's - unless I'm the UIC or TD, that is!)

The UIC cannot change this call. (Is there an echo in here... or maybe it's just deja vu... I seem to have a feeling that I've heard that before ...)
As an umpire, I'd like to see the play again, to be sure that I was wrong (or right).

Had a coach last year argue a bang-bang out call at the plate on a swipe tag...he told me I was wrong (very professionally, I might add). He still won the game, though. I was at his place the next week, he came to me and said, "so and so's dad had it on video, and you were right...she did tag the runner right before the runner hit the base...good call." Then he proceeded to add, "Tell me you were guessing."

I wish I could have viewed the tape, to be sure I was right.

Sometimes when I UIC I videotape umpires to show them positioning and such...I also take digital pictures so I can reference them later and send them to umpires. Seems to work.

And the UIC doesn't have the authority to overturn the call (in case no one has said this before).
Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 02:43pm
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't mind seeing it replayed, either. But not during or immediately after the game.

As a UIC, I have had people stick cameras in my face showing me that the umpire kicked a call. After I push them away from my face, I explain that I will not review the play, period. I do not like to waste time and absolutely nothing positive can come from me reviewing a play.

I also explain that the next thing they are ignorant enough to shove in front of my face may be the last time they see that article.

Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 03:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:

GaryB
Can I put my two cents in here? I admitted to both coaches what happened. I admitted I may have been wrong, but I couldn't change it, because there was no other evidence to back up a reversal, except for my hunch that I had the wrong call. Which, under the circumstances, was the only call I could make.

Now, as for the UIC reversing my call. As soon as he/she comes on my field, I will consider that a request to borrow my clicker, mask and shin guards. If I know him, I'll let him/her have them. I will not call ball for a UIC who walks on my field and pulls the rug out from under me. Is seems like I read it somewhere, but the UIC cannot change my call. If he comes out there, he/she has taken all the authority away from the umpiring team that he/she put on the field. I would expect my gear back by the end of the night, when he/she brought it to my house.
Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 03:52pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by TexBlue
Quote:
Quote:

GaryB
Can I put my two cents in here? I admitted to both coaches what happened. I admitted I may have been wrong, but I couldn't change it, because there was no other evidence to back up a reversal, except for my hunch that I had the wrong call. Which, under the circumstances, was the only call I could make.

Now, as for the UIC reversing my call. As soon as he/she comes on my field, I will consider that a request to borrow my clicker, mask and shin guards. If I know him, I'll let him/her have them. I will not call ball for a UIC who walks on my field and pulls the rug out from under me. Is seems like I read it somewhere, but the UIC cannot change my call. If he comes out there, he/she has taken all the authority away from the umpiring team that he/she put on the field. I would expect my gear back by the end of the night, when he/she brought it to my house.
Rick,
I agree.
Humility and humiliation are years apart.
mick
Old Tue Apr 27, 2004, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

Just have to do it...

Has anyone said this before....

:The UIC does not have the authority to change the call.

--Mark Twain.
Closed Thread