The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jun 15, 2022, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

questions and opinions

Some things discussed sometimes:
1) When a pitcher is replaced by another, We should not have the "ceremony" of telling her about runners, outs, etc. instead of the coach.
Do you agree? Is it in writing somewhere?

2) We should not instruct players at all, like why a pitch was illegal, why the fielder obstructed, why a runner interfered, etc. That is the coach's job, even if we have to explain it to the coach. Do you agree? Is it in writing somewhere?

3) Are we exposed to people thinking favoritism if we react to a good play?
Old Wed Jun 15, 2022, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil4 View Post
1) When a pitcher is replaced by another, We should not have the "ceremony" of telling her about runners, outs, etc. instead of the coach.

2) We should not instruct players at all, like why a pitch was illegal, why the fielder obstructed, why a runner interfered, etc. That is the coach's job, even if we have to explain it to the coach. Do you agree? Is it in writing somewhere?

1. Agree. NO ceremony. I ignore my partner that "pssts" me to try to get me to do so.

2. In general agree. Stronger agreement the younger the players. Explain to coach so that player can hear.

3. Hmmm... Could be. I always state a very quiet "Nice play" or "Nice hit" so that for the most part, only the player hears. This is for tourney ball. Not HS nor College. I do neither of those.
Old Wed Jun 15, 2022, 10:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

1) Baseball only perspective. No, the ceremony is usually about the umpire inserting themselves into the game although new umpires told to do this do not have that motivation and just don't understand and haven't been to a clinic. Aside, I hope no clinic is teaching this. But if you have someone who has told you to do this you might ask him if he wants you to run out to RF to brief that sub also. Another aside. In baseball I was taught the pitcher belongs to the PU. On a pitching change the BU drifts back to the line and counts pitches if his PU has to attend to the lineup and just flashes the number when asked. WTF are BUs lingering around the mound for? Sorry to say some BB rec leagues ascribe to this practice. Their UIC are smittys and we put a stop to it once the good umps make it to our level.
Old Thu Jun 16, 2022, 10:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
1) Baseball only perspective. No, the ceremony is usually about the umpire inserting themselves into the game although new umpires told to do this do not have that motivation and just don't understand and haven't been to a clinic. Aside, I hope no clinic is teaching this. But if you have someone who has told you to do this you might ask him if he wants you to run out to RF to brief that sub also. Another aside. In baseball I was taught the pitcher belongs to the PU. On a pitching change the BU drifts back to the line and counts pitches if his PU has to attend to the lineup and just flashes the number when asked. WTF are BUs lingering around the mound for? Sorry to say some BB rec leagues ascribe to this practice. Their UIC are smittys and we put a stop to it once the good umps make it to our level.
Haven't been around pre-teen rec baseball much I'd guess. It's only somewhat organized and under control
Old Fri Jun 17, 2022, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

1) First of all, I don’t think it’s in writing. I only do USA & NFHS so can’t speak to other sanctions. But I’ve never come across it in any readings or case plays. I’ve attended a few NUS and to my recollection, it has never been discussed in that forum, either.

I agree 100% that this should not be done. I believe there was discussion in this forum at one point on this subject, but I couldn’t quickly locate it.

But like any other issue, there are folks who will swear it’s an umpire’s responsibility. Some believe it is a “must requirement” but can’t provide backup to support their claim.

I’ll also agree with those posters who opine that those that do this are just seeking attention. Maybe they do it in timed games to use up minutes?

One of our locals who has since moved away was the poster child for this activity. After the pitcher completed her warmups, he’d take a slooooowww walk towards the pitcher, announce and posture the number of outs, point dramatically to each and every base runner, and provide the count on the batter (even if it was a new batter). Then take another slooooowww walk back to his position behind the plate. Definitely the most OOO behavior to observe.

2) I agree this is the coach’s job. I will not offer “instruction” to players during the course of a game. The only exception is if a player asks me a direct question about a play that just happened. I will provide a brief reply and if questioning persists, will take it up with a coach with the player who asked listening in.

Again, not in writing anywhere. A corollary might include the PU who calls balls and then vocalizes and signals where the ball was. I see MLB umpires who do this. I simply call it a ball. If the catcher questions where the pitch was, I’ll tell her, but I’m not doing that for more than a couple of pitches.

3) Well, applauding and clapping would definitely be viewed as unprofessional. As some have mentioned, a quiet acknowledgement to a nearby player who has made a great play is something I’ve done. While on the bases, I’ve commented to base coaches on plays by the defense or clutch hits by the offense.

Here’s one to add to the discussion list.

Do you pick up discarded bats during the course of a half-inning or at the end of an inning?

For NFHS games, I’m unlikely to touch a bat the entire game. For USA Softball, after the equipment check at the start of a game, I won’t touch a bat for the remainder of the game. (Exception: Questions of illegal bats.)

Like any other issue, people will be on either side of the argument. “He picks up their bats, but he doesn’t pick up our bats.” Whether it’s true or not, perception quickly becomes reality.
Old Fri Jun 17, 2022, 04:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
[snip]

A corollary might include the PU who calls balls and then vocalizes and signals where the ball was. I see MLB umpires who do this. I simply call it a ball. If the catcher questions where the pitch was, I’ll tell her, but I’m not doing that for more than a couple of pitches.
And many of the umpires in recent D1 postseason play.
Old Fri Jun 17, 2022, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Here’s one to add to the discussion list.

Do you pick up discarded bats during the course of a half-inning or at the end of an inning?

For NFHS games, I’m unlikely to touch a bat the entire game. For USA Softball, after the equipment check at the start of a game, I won’t touch a bat for the remainder of the game. (Exception: Questions of illegal bats.)

Like any other issue, people will be on either side of the argument. “He picks up their bats, but he doesn’t pick up our bats.” Whether it’s true or not, perception quickly becomes reality.
I "never" (almost) handle player's equipment and have also asked catchers to let the opponent get their own.
Yes, I know I said I don't instruct , but all rules have exceptions.
Old Fri Jun 17, 2022, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

As far as applauding, etc.; yes "good one", " nice hit" quietly just to the player.
I did tell a player once that her catch almost made me break the rule.