The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 25, 2019, 04:19pm
Official Forum Member

Was this handled correctly?

I had this during the week in a Co-wRECk game.

R1 at 3rd, R2 at 2nd, R3 at third, 0 out. B4 hits a pop up on the infield which both F2 and F3 have could catch with ordinary effort (if they weren't expecting the other to catch it). Ball lands untouched in fair territory. R1 takes off for home, touches the plate before the on deck batter (at the urging from the dugout, starts heading back towards third base, retouching the plate (unintentionally) as she goes. R2 had already headed to 3rd base on the play, while R3 stayed on first base. The defense throws the ball to the pitcher who runs after R3 before throwing F6 who is going to tag the now returning to 2nd base R2 if the throw got to him. Instead the throw goes into CF where the only defensive player who had a clue was backing up the throw, preventing R1 who is now on third base again from trying to come home again.

In the end we ended up with R1 on 3rd, R2 on second, and R3 on first with B4 out on the IFF.

After the inning the coach came up and questioned if R3 should have counted because she had come home. I told him that once she returned retouched the plate and returned to third she had put herself back on the bases. Was I correct?

like I said, this was low level co-wRECk softball.
Old Sat May 25, 2019, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Once the runner legally scored, which she did because the ball was uncaught and there was no possible appeal on her she cannot unscore herself. The only question you have to answer now was now that she was a retired runner, did her actions by attempting to return to 3rd base interfere with the defenses ability to play on another runner.