The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 28, 2019, 10:42pm
Official Forum Member

illegal pitch

Fed softball. (correct mechanic).
Umpiring on the bases, while seeing an illegal pitch being delivered (leaping), I know to extend the left arm, but is also necessary to say 'illegal pitch' before the batter swings?
Old Fri Mar 29, 2019, 07:00am
Official Forum Member

Yes, verbalize "illegal pitch".
Old Fri Mar 29, 2019, 08:48am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
Yes, verbalize "illegal pitch".
Verbalize does not mean loudly, just for nearest fielders and base coach; then loudly afterward. But hold the signal.
Old Fri Mar 29, 2019, 10:20am
Stirrer of the Pot

Agree, although I will usually just say "Illegal" versus "Illegal Pitch".
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri Mar 29, 2019, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Agree, although I will usually just say "Illegal" versus "Illegal Pitch".
If'n I'm on the plate, I'll just call "Illegal!"

When on the bases, I'll call "Illegal pitch!" loud enough so that hopefully my partner can hear me. Given that I'm 75' or so away from him and game noise and possible traffic noise on some fields, it's sometimes an effort to get PU's attention.
Old Fri Mar 29, 2019, 02:12pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
If'n I'm on the plate, I'll just call "Illegal!"

When on the bases, I'll call "Illegal pitch!" loud enough so that hopefully my partner can hear me. Given that I'm 75' or so away from him and game noise and possible traffic noise on some fields, it's sometimes an effort to get PU's attention.
I wouldn't be too concerned about my partner knowing that I had an IP. He/she will know when I kill play and let him/her know we had an IP. And if it's a batted ball, I'll call time and explain to my partner it's time to go to the offensive coach to let him/her know he/she has options to consider. I'll leave that discussion to my partner once we're both on the same sheet of music.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri Mar 29, 2019, 05:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I wouldn't be too concerned about my partner knowing that I had an IP. He/she will know when I kill play and let him/her know we had an IP. And if it's a batted ball, I'll call time and explain to my partner it's time to go to the offensive coach to let him/her know he/she has options to consider. I'll leave that discussion to my partner once we're both on the same sheet of music.
Hopefully, your partner would not need much explaining.

If it's a batted ball, that doesn't always mean there are options to consider. If BR reaches first base and all other runners have advanced at least 1 base, no option is given.

The umpire choir!
Old Mon Apr 01, 2019, 01:19pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Hopefully, your partner would not need much explaining.

If it's a batted ball, that doesn't always mean there are options to consider. If BR reaches first base and all other runners have advanced at least 1 base, no option is given.

The umpire choir!
True. What I meant was if there wasn't a batted ball, I would just let him/her know I had an IP, and he/she should realize that all is required is to add a Ball to the batter's count.

However, if there was subsequent action that took place, just telling him/her I had an IP may lead to some confusion if my partner isn't quite up-to-speed on what to do next. That's why I would get together with him/her, just in case. I don't want to just say I had an IP, and then let him figure things out from there.
Old Mon Apr 01, 2019, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
True. What I meant was if there wasn't a batted ball, I would just let him/her know I had an IP, and he/she should realize that all is required is to add a Ball to the batter's count.

However, if there was subsequent action that took place, just telling him/her I had an IP may lead to some confusion if my partner isn't quite up-to-speed on what to do next. That's why I would get together with him/her, just in case. I don't want to just say I had an IP, and then let him figure things out from there.
I would agree. In this instance it is important to make sure all parties are on the same page. Did the BR reach first. Did all runners advance 1 base? Making sure both umpires are on the same page never hurts anyone.
Old Sat Apr 06, 2019, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Let us not forget the NCAA possibility of multiple options on a play; a defensive first option may negate the apparent result of the play, and reinstate the offensive option to accept the illegal pitch and erase the offense's choice.
Old Wed Apr 17, 2019, 02:59pm
Official Forum Member

One other reason not to say it loudly is that when an umpire announces something loudly, players sometimes have a tendency to stop playing.

Just say "Illegal" or "Illegal Pitch" loud enough for the closest players to hear you and let the play finish.
Old Wed May 15, 2019, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Does the ball have to be batted for an option to be given?

Game last night, opposing pitcher hits her leg with the pitch which goes squirting off towards the third base line. My runner on second comes to third. Umpire calls illegal pitch (not sure why) and also returns my runner to second base. I ask "Don't I get my choice of the illegal pitch penalty, or the result of the play?" He said no, since the ball wasn't batted, there was no other option. This seemed wrong to me.

Last edited by parrot; Wed May 15, 2019 at 11:40am.
Old Wed May 15, 2019, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrot View Post
Does the ball have to be batted for an option to be given?

Game last night, opposing pitcher hits her leg with the pitch which goes squirting off towards the third base line. My runner on second comes to third. Umpire calls illegal pitch (not sure why) and also returns my runner to second base. I ask "Don't I get my choice of the illegal pitch penalty, or the result of the play?" He said no, since the ball wasn't batted, there was no other option. This seemed wrong to me.
Did he call it a dead ball immediately (incorrectly)? That is the only way I see not allowing the advancement of the runner.

I don't have the 2019 book handy, but from the 2016 book (and casebook 6-2-6 sit) indicate this isn't an illegal but it is a pitch way out of the strike zone.

The penalty states "A ball is awarded to the batter and the ball remains in play and runners may advance with liability to be put out." A defensive player may immediately retrieve the ball as long as the batter has no opportunity to contact the pitch."

I don't think this play has changed at all with the new rules for an illegal pitch.
Old Wed May 15, 2019, 02:17pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
Did he call it a dead ball immediately (incorrectly)? That is the only way I see not allowing the advancement of the runner.

I don't have the 2019 book handy, but from the 2016 book (and casebook 6-2-6 sit) indicate this isn't an illegal but it is a pitch way out of the strike zone.

The penalty states "A ball is awarded to the batter and the ball remains in play and runners may advance with liability to be put out." A defensive player may immediately retrieve the ball as long as the batter has no opportunity to contact the pitch."

I don't think this play has changed at all with the new rules for an illegal pitch.
The only difference this year is not awarding runners a base, just NFHS.
Old Wed May 15, 2019, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post

That was part of my confusion that I didn't understand why he called IP in the first place. I heard him call illegal pitch but didn't hear him say dead ball immediately. When we were discussing it he did say it was a dead ball on the illegal pitch. I asked "Well what if we had hit a home run, would it have been a dead ball?" He said "No, because then you have a play and would have the option to take the result." I was seriously at that point.

Last edited by parrot; Wed May 15, 2019 at 06:40pm.