The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   illegal pitch (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/104503-illegal-pitch.html)

bbman Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:42pm

illegal pitch

Fed softball. (correct mechanic).
Umpiring on the bases, while seeing an illegal pitch being delivered (leaping), I know to extend the left arm, but is also necessary to say 'illegal pitch' before the batter swings?

Tru_in_Blu Fri Mar 29, 2019 07:00am

Yes, verbalize "illegal pitch".

CecilOne Fri Mar 29, 2019 08:48am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 1031756)
Yes, verbalize "illegal pitch".

Verbalize does not mean loudly, just for nearest fielders and base coach; then loudly afterward. But hold the signal.

Manny A Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:20am

Agree, although I will usually just say "Illegal" versus "Illegal Pitch".

Tru_in_Blu Fri Mar 29, 2019 01:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 1031771)
Agree, although I will usually just say "Illegal" versus "Illegal Pitch".

If'n I'm on the plate, I'll just call "Illegal!"

When on the bases, I'll call "Illegal pitch!" loud enough so that hopefully my partner can hear me. Given that I'm 75' or so away from him and game noise and possible traffic noise on some fields, it's sometimes an effort to get PU's attention.

Manny A Fri Mar 29, 2019 02:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 1031778)
If'n I'm on the plate, I'll just call "Illegal!"

When on the bases, I'll call "Illegal pitch!" loud enough so that hopefully my partner can hear me. Given that I'm 75' or so away from him and game noise and possible traffic noise on some fields, it's sometimes an effort to get PU's attention.

I wouldn't be too concerned about my partner knowing that I had an IP. He/she will know when I kill play and let him/her know we had an IP. And if it's a batted ball, I'll call time and explain to my partner it's time to go to the offensive coach to let him/her know he/she has options to consider. I'll leave that discussion to my partner once we're both on the same sheet of music.

Tru_in_Blu Fri Mar 29, 2019 05:27pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 1031779)
I wouldn't be too concerned about my partner knowing that I had an IP. He/she will know when I kill play and let him/her know we had an IP. And if it's a batted ball, I'll call time and explain to my partner it's time to go to the offensive coach to let him/her know he/she has options to consider. I'll leave that discussion to my partner once we're both on the same sheet of music.

Hopefully, your partner would not need much explaining.

If it's a batted ball, that doesn't always mean there are options to consider. If BR reaches first base and all other runners have advanced at least 1 base, no option is given.

The umpire choir! :D

Manny A Mon Apr 01, 2019 01:19pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu (Post 1031783)
Hopefully, your partner would not need much explaining.

If it's a batted ball, that doesn't always mean there are options to consider. If BR reaches first base and all other runners have advanced at least 1 base, no option is given.

The umpire choir! :D

True. What I meant was if there wasn't a batted ball, I would just let him/her know I had an IP, and he/she should realize that all is required is to add a Ball to the batter's count.

However, if there was subsequent action that took place, just telling him/her I had an IP may lead to some confusion if my partner isn't quite up-to-speed on what to do next. That's why I would get together with him/her, just in case. I don't want to just say I had an IP, and then let him figure things out from there. ;)

chapmaja Mon Apr 01, 2019 10:41pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 1031928)
True. What I meant was if there wasn't a batted ball, I would just let him/her know I had an IP, and he/she should realize that all is required is to add a Ball to the batter's count.

However, if there was subsequent action that took place, just telling him/her I had an IP may lead to some confusion if my partner isn't quite up-to-speed on what to do next. That's why I would get together with him/her, just in case. I don't want to just say I had an IP, and then let him figure things out from there. ;)

I would agree. In this instance it is important to make sure all parties are on the same page. Did the BR reach first. Did all runners advance 1 base? Making sure both umpires are on the same page never hurts anyone.

AtlUmpSteve Sat Apr 06, 2019 02:09pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manny A (Post 1031928)

Let us not forget the NCAA possibility of multiple options on a play; a defensive first option may negate the apparent result of the play, and reinstate the offensive option to accept the illegal pitch and erase the offense's choice.

Andy Wed Apr 17, 2019 02:59pm

One other reason not to say it loudly is that when an umpire announces something loudly, players sometimes have a tendency to stop playing.

Just say "Illegal" or "Illegal Pitch" loud enough for the closest players to hear you and let the play finish.

parrot Wed May 15, 2019 11:36am

Does the ball have to be batted for an option to be given?

Game last night, opposing pitcher hits her leg with the pitch which goes squirting off towards the third base line. My runner on second comes to third. Umpire calls illegal pitch (not sure why) and also returns my runner to second base. I ask "Don't I get my choice of the illegal pitch penalty, or the result of the play?" He said no, since the ball wasn't batted, there was no other option. This seemed wrong to me.

chapmaja Wed May 15, 2019 01:34pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by parrot (Post 1032802)
Does the ball have to be batted for an option to be given?

Game last night, opposing pitcher hits her leg with the pitch which goes squirting off towards the third base line. My runner on second comes to third. Umpire calls illegal pitch (not sure why) and also returns my runner to second base. I ask "Don't I get my choice of the illegal pitch penalty, or the result of the play?" He said no, since the ball wasn't batted, there was no other option. This seemed wrong to me.

Did he call it a dead ball immediately (incorrectly)? That is the only way I see not allowing the advancement of the runner.

I don't have the 2019 book handy, but from the 2016 book (and casebook 6-2-6 sit) indicate this isn't an illegal but it is a pitch way out of the strike zone.

The penalty states "A ball is awarded to the batter and the ball remains in play and runners may advance with liability to be put out." A defensive player may immediately retrieve the ball as long as the batter has no opportunity to contact the pitch."

I don't think this play has changed at all with the new rules for an illegal pitch.

CecilOne Wed May 15, 2019 02:17pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chapmaja (Post 1032811)
Did he call it a dead ball immediately (incorrectly)? That is the only way I see not allowing the advancement of the runner.

I don't have the 2019 book handy, but from the 2016 book (and casebook 6-2-6 sit) indicate this isn't an illegal but it is a pitch way out of the strike zone.

The penalty states "A ball is awarded to the batter and the ball remains in play and runners may advance with liability to be put out." A defensive player may immediately retrieve the ball as long as the batter has no opportunity to contact the pitch."

I don't think this play has changed at all with the new rules for an illegal pitch.

The only difference this year is not awarding runners a base, just NFHS.

parrot Wed May 15, 2019 06:37pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by chapmaja (Post 1032811)

That was part of my confusion that I didn't understand why he called IP in the first place. I heard him call illegal pitch but didn't hear him say dead ball immediately. When we were discussing it he did say it was a dead ball on the illegal pitch. I asked "Well what if we had hit a home run, would it have been a dead ball?" He said "No, because then you have a play and would have the option to take the result." I was seriously :confused: at that point.