Thread: illegal pitch
View Single Post
Old Wed May 15, 2019, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
Did he call it a dead ball immediately (incorrectly)? That is the only way I see not allowing the advancement of the runner.

I don't have the 2019 book handy, but from the 2016 book (and casebook 6-2-6 sit) indicate this isn't an illegal but it is a pitch way out of the strike zone.

The penalty states "A ball is awarded to the batter and the ball remains in play and runners may advance with liability to be put out." A defensive player may immediately retrieve the ball as long as the batter has no opportunity to contact the pitch."

I don't think this play has changed at all with the new rules for an illegal pitch.
That was part of my confusion that I didn't understand why he called IP in the first place. I heard him call illegal pitch but didn't hear him say dead ball immediately. When we were discussing it he did say it was a dead ball on the illegal pitch. I asked "Well what if we had hit a home run, would it have been a dead ball?" He said "No, because then you have a play and would have the option to take the result." I was seriously at that point.

Last edited by parrot; Wed May 15, 2019 at 06:40pm.