The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Mar 18, 2019, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

lodged ball

nfhs 8-4-1 g.
Ball gets lodged in defensive players equipment/uniform, ball remains live. Does this mean the runner can continue running around the bases if the player can't unlodge the ball from herself?
Old Mon Mar 18, 2019, 02:36pm
Official Forum Member

Can't see which rule would require me to stop the runner just because the ball is inside the fielder's jersey...

Now, if it's jammed in the webbing of her glove, just toss the glove!
Old Mon Mar 18, 2019, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmkupka View Post
Can't see which rule would require me to stop the runner just because the ball is inside the fielder's jersey...

IOW, a live ball is just that, all plays are active.
Old Mon Mar 18, 2019, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Wouldn't that result in an award under 8-4-d? I feel like the answer is no but I can't justify that to myself.
Old Mon Mar 18, 2019, 08:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
Wouldn't that result in an award under 8-4-d? I feel like the answer is no but I can't justify that to myself.
You've never seen that before, even in baseball?

Hard 1-hopper to F1 and the ball gets stuck in the webbing. She runs half-way to first base and tosses glove and ball to F3 who secures the entire package.

At no point did a fielder make a play with detached equipment.

F1 had the glove on when the ball lodged in the webbing. F3 had the glove on when securing the ball (surrounded by F1's glove).
Old Mon Mar 18, 2019, 10:41pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
You've never seen that before, even in baseball?

Hard 1-hopper to F1 and the ball gets stuck in the webbing. She runs half-way to first base and tosses glove and ball to F3 who secures the entire package.

At no point did a fielder make a play with detached equipment.

F1 had the glove on when the ball lodged in the webbing. F3 had the glove on when securing the ball (surrounded by F1's glove).

I'm not sure if NFHS softball has a ruling on this but NFHS baseball has added an interpretation this year stating its legal.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Tue Mar 19, 2019, 10:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Why did the following just come to mind. Runner at second is stealing. The pitched ball somehow lodges in the catchers uniform or equipment. The coach, not realizing where the ball is sends the runner home. The catcher, realizing the can't get the ball out decides to jump on top of the runner sliding into the plate to "tag" the runner. The call is obvious but it would be the other circumstances that would be a problem. Now if she dives as she is pulling the ball out of the uniform we have an even messier situation.

If I ever see this I am quitting by the way.
Old Tue Mar 19, 2019, 02:48pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
Why did the following just come to mind. Runner at second is stealing. The pitched ball somehow lodges in the catchers uniform or equipment. The coach, not realizing where the ball is sends the runner home. The catcher, realizing the can't get the ball out decides to jump on top of the runner sliding into the plate to "tag" the runner. The call is obvious but it would be the other circumstances that would be a problem. Now if she dives as she is pulling the ball out of the uniform we have an even messier situation.

If I ever see this I am quitting by the way.
Well, considering that a legal tag of a runner can only take place with the ball in the fielder's glove or hand, then jumping on top of a runner with the ball under her jersey would not constitute a tag.

The real interesting question is, Would the catcher be guilty of obstruction? Is the ball inside of fielder's equipment or uniform considered "possession"? Remember that in NFHS, a pitcher has possession of the ball in the circle even if the ball is not in her hand or glove. For example, there's a case play where the pitcher tucks the ball under her chin while fixing her hair, and the ruling is that she still has the ball in her possession. So would the same be true here? Hmmm...
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Mar 19, 2019, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Well, considering that a legal tag of a runner can only take place with the ball in the fielder's glove or hand, then jumping on top of a runner with the ball under her jersey would not constitute a tag.

The real interesting question is, Would the catcher be guilty of obstruction? Is the ball inside of fielder's equipment or uniform considered "possession"? Remember that in NFHS, a pitcher has possession of the ball in the circle even if the ball is not in her hand or glove. For example, there's a case play where the pitcher tucks the ball under her chin while fixing her hair, and the ruling is that she still has the ball in her possession. So would the same be true here? Hmmm...
That's a good question.
Old Wed Mar 20, 2019, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

The pitcher in the circle with the ball between her knees or under her chin is considered "possession" for NFHS but not USA.

We know the definition of a catch, say by F3 on a play at first base on the BR. If the ball is held between body parts, that is not sufficient for an out call. Ball must be in the hand or glove. I'd say the same would be true for a defensive player making a tag play. If a ball was caught between F2's chest protector and jersey, I'd not consider that possession and if F2 was blocking the path of a runner prior to getting the ball in her hand/glove, I think it would/should be OBS.
Old Wed Mar 20, 2019, 10:53am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Remember that in NFHS, a pitcher has possession of the ball in the circle even if the ball is not in her hand or glove. ...
In the LBR rule.