The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Lodged ball?

What is the ruling on a lodged ball on the Free throw? I know in play it is a alternating posession and on a throw-in it is a violation but I wasn't sure tonight about a free throw lodged ball. Thanks for the help in advance.
Old Mon Dec 04, 2006, 11:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

It depends on the FT that is being attempted. If it is the first of 2 or 3 FTs, then it is simply a missed shot. You would go the AP on any FT that can be rebounded.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 12:03am
Official Forum Member

Well then I kicked that one then. I called it a violation. What about a player grabbing the rim at halftime. Is it a T on the player and an indirect to the coach or what? It is so hard to keep up when you are trying to remember three different rulesets. I know in the pros and college it is an indirect to the player which does not add to his foul count nor the team foul count, but I can't remember what it is for HS and I lost my rulebook recently.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 12:24am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Originally Posted by btaylor64
Well then I kicked that one then. I called it a violation. What about a player grabbing the rim at halftime. Is it a T on the player and an indirect to the coach or what? It is so hard to keep up when you are trying to remember three different rulesets. I know in the pros and college it is an indirect to the player which does not add to his foul count nor the team foul count, but I can't remember what it is for HS and I lost my rulebook recently.
So don't keep track of 3 different rulesets!! If you're working NBA, you're not allowed to do anything else, so you don't need college and NF. If you're working college plus NF, just keep track of those two.

in NF the player grabbing the rim during halftime is a T on the player, and an indirect on the coach. If you see it. Perhaps you didn't call it because you were carefully focusing on your aunt Matilda who was waving to you from the stands behind the basket there.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 12:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainmaker
So don't keep track of 3 different rulesets!! If you're working NBA, you're not allowed to do anything else

Not true. You are still allowed to work anything you want if you work in the WNBA and the NBA D-League. Don't forget about semi-pro and pro-ams in the summer as well. I have to keep up with these rulesets for now as I work and will be working with all these rules. I hope one day that I will be able to narrow it down to two and then finally down to one, but for now that is how it has to be. Thank you about the dunking during halftime answer as well. I did in fact T up the player but did not seatbelt the coach nor did I tell him that it is an indirect T on him.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 12:34am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
Quote:
Not true. You are still allowed to work anything you want if you work in the WNBA and the NBA D-League. Don't forget about semi-pro and pro-ams in the summer as well. I have to keep up with these rulesets for now as I work and will be working with all these rules. I hope one day that I will be able to narrow it down to two and then finally down to one, but for now that is how it has to be.
Okay, well shows what I know! I guess it's a good thing I only need to know the HS rules, and the local rec league.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Not true. You are still allowed to work anything you want if you work in the WNBA and the NBA D-League.
Don't take this the wrong way but how can someone be working the d league and/or wnba and NOT know what the ruling is on a wedged ball?

I'll agree that keeping track of the latest T rules every year between ncaa & fed is a pain, which is why I spend 2 or 3 minutes reviewing them during pregame. Maybe you should.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 08:57am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
Don't take this the wrong way but how can someone be working the d league and/or wnba and NOT know what the ruling is on a wedged ball?
If you work D1 and the D-League and high school (and I know somebody who does this), you probably only work 10 HS games a year to be eligible for the playoffs.

The person who does that is clearly not spending as much time in the HS rulebook as in the other rulesets. Maybe they ought to give up HS in that situation, but that's a personal decision. I can see how it would be fairly easy to think that maybe this is one of those nit-picky rule differences.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 11:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What is the ruling on a lodged ball on the Free throw? I know in play it is a alternating posession and on a throw-in it is a violation but I wasn't sure tonight about a free throw lodged ball. Thanks for the help in advance.
Last week I had a free throw rest on the flange.

Last edited by mj; Tue Dec 05, 2006 at 12:04pm.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
If you work D1 and the D-League and high school (and I know somebody who does this), you probably only work 10 HS games a year to be eligible for the playoffs.
I find this disagreeable. If you aren't going to work a full HS schedule, don't work the playoffs. Let the people who are dedicated to the game at the high school level work the high school level. You want to be a D1 ref, go be a D1 ref.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 11:53am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj
Last week I had a free rest on the flange.
Glad to hear that no one charged you.

How'd you get up there?
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 12:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee
Glad to hear that no one charged you.

How'd you get up there?
Edit...thank you
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 12:06pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire
I find this disagreeable. If you aren't going to work a full HS schedule, don't work the playoffs. Let the people who are dedicated to the game at the high school level work the high school level.
If the state athletic association says that you have to work a minimum of 10 varsity games to be eligible for the tournament, and then these guys work 10 varsity games, why would we want to keep them out of a playoff tournament? Because they're not as good as the officials who worked 25-30 games? That's certainly not true. Why would you want to keep a very good college official from working if that official has met the state's minimum requirements?
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire
I find this disagreeable. If you aren't going to work a full HS schedule, don't work the playoffs. Let the people who are dedicated to the game at the high school level work the high school level. You want to be a D1 ref, go be a D1 ref.
Yeah, I agree.

To kick 2 pretty basic rules in 1 game is not good.

If you know you don't know the rule let your partner handle it.
Old Tue Dec 05, 2006, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
If the state athletic association says that you have to work a minimum of 10 varsity games to be eligible for the tournament, and then these guys work 10 varsity games, why would we want to keep them out of a playoff tournament?
errr....maybe because some of them don't know the HS rules well enough?