The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Tue May 08, 2018, 10:19am
Stirrer of the Pot
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Lowcountry, SC
Posts: 2,212
Do You Wait? Do You Get Off the Field? How is this Really Supposed to be Handled?

NFHS play. Tie game, bottom of the 7th, and the bases are loaded with two outs. Batter receives Ball Four to push home the game-winning run. But she fails to advance and touch first base. Instead, she goes halfway to first, then turns back to join in the celebration.

The abandonment rule in Fed play (and in USA Softball, for that matter) requires the runner to enter dead ball territory to be ruled out. So in this particular scenario, what are we to do? Wait to see when the BR finally realizes she needs to touch first, or when she finally goes into her dugout? Not a chance I'm going to be hanging around that long!

But if the defense were to appeal that the BR failed to advance and touch first, what then? She was awarded first on the walk, so do we recognize this as a valid appeal? Or do we ignore it because the BR still has the opportunity to advance to first until she leaves the field?

I really think that in a game-ending situation, there should be an exception to the abandonment rule so that it is in line with the NCAA rule. Once a runner clearly shows no intent to advance to her base, and instead joins in the walk-off festivities, we should either be allowed to rule her out for abandonment, or allow the defense to make an appeal.

Thoughts? Is there a case play anywhere that does cover this situation?
__________________
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Tue May 08, 2018, 10:35am
Oklahoma Official
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 5
If the runner on third touches home, we have a ballgame.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Tue May 08, 2018, 10:39am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2002
Location: Glendale, AZ
Posts: 2,662
I'm going to wait until all awarded bases are touched.

If the B/R veers off to join the celebration before reaching first, I'm going to see if the defense picks up on it. If I get any inkling the defense is aware of the situation, now we have to wait until the B/R either touches first base or goes into dead ball territory and rule appropriately.
__________________
It's what you learn after you think you know it all that's important!
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Tue May 08, 2018, 11:01am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,634
NFHS Umpire manual (pg. 14) says "Umpires should leave the field together after giving the defensive team reasonable time for a possible appeal play".

What's reasonable? If I'm watching and nobody seems to making any move toward an appeal...I'm outta there!
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Tue May 08, 2018, 11:08am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 128
I basically see two choices in this situation-- 1) Leave the field and don't look back as soon as possible and let the celebration happen. or 2) Stand right there and risk the possibility of a defensive appeal and becoming the star of a legendary Youtube video for the next 20 years.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Tue May 08, 2018, 11:14am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountaincoach View Post
I basically see two choices in this situation-- 1) Leave the field and don't look back as soon as possible and let the celebration happen. or 2) Stand right there and risk the possibility of a defensive appeal and becoming the star of a legendary Youtube video for the next 20 years.
If #2 is an issue for someone, they shouldn't be on the field.
__________________
The bat issue in softball is as much about liability, insurance and litigation as it is about competition, inflated egos and softball.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Tue May 08, 2018, 11:21am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
I'm going to wait until all awarded bases are touched.

If the B/R veers off to join the celebration before reaching first, I'm going to see if the defense picks up on it. If I get any inkling the defense is aware of the situation, now we have to wait until the B/R either touches first base or goes into dead ball territory and rule appropriately.
I'm halfway there. I'm giving the defense an opportunity to make an appeal. If it is apparent that is not forthcoming, my partners and I am leaving the field.

Sometimes I think part of the problem is that you have umpires anxious to get off the field. IMO, if the teams see you watching, either of them, the more likely it is you will see the play come to a resolution before leaving the field.
__________________
The bat issue in softball is as much about liability, insurance and litigation as it is about competition, inflated egos and softball.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Tue May 08, 2018, 11:30am
Stirrer of the Pot
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Lowcountry, SC
Posts: 2,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
NFHS Umpire manual (pg. 14) says "Umpires should leave the field together after giving the defensive team reasonable time for a possible appeal play".

What's reasonable? If I'm watching and nobody seems to making any move toward an appeal...I'm outta there!
But that's the problem, in my reading of the rules on appeals. When has it ever become an appealable situation when a runner fails to advance to an entitled base? The four types of appeals in Fed rule 2-1-2 does not include not advancing to an entitled base. The closest one that applies is missing a base, but if the runner never advanced to that base to begin with, did she really miss it?

If a runner fails to advance to a base and enters DBT, we don't need an appeal from the defense. We simply rule her out for abandonment. But if she doesn't enter DBT right away, are we allowed to accept an appeal for failing to advance and touch the base?
__________________
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Tue May 08, 2018, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,634
(Typical screwy FED case play...)

9.1.1 SITUATION N:

In the last of the seventh with two outs, the score tied and the bases loaded, B6 receives ball four to force R1 home. Because B6 assumes that the game is over, she fails to go to first and leaves the field. The ball is then held at first.

RULING: B6 is out and the run does not score. (8-6-7 Penalty; 8-3-11; 9-1-1 Exception d)


What's screwy about it is that if B6 left the field then why would you even need to make an appeal? She'd already be out. Why write a case play to clarify one point, then randomly toss in a different rule that confuses the issue?

That aside, the rules referenced are:

8-6-7: This is the rule about a runner being out on appeal for not touching a base.

8-3-11: The rule that says all awarded bases must be legally run.

9-1-1: This is the phone number you'll have to call when you call this runner out!

Not really...it's the rule that says the run doesn't score when there are two outs and the B/R is put out before reaching first base.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Tue May 08, 2018, 12:55pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Derry, NH
Posts: 1,043
I started a similar thread entitled "Miss St @ Ole Miss (Video)" back in March 2015.

I think NCAA (which I don't work) is the same as NFHS where the runner is supposed to touch first base after receiving a base on balls.

I found this case play from ASA from 2009:

With one out, bases loaded and the score tied in the bottom of the seventh, B5 walks on four pitches bringing in the winning run. B5 joins in the celebration and is reminded to go to 1B by a coach. The defense appeals (a) that B5 was out of the base path, (b) that B5 was aided by a coach while the ball was in play, and (c) that B5 did not go directly to 1B. The umpires rule all runners safe once the batter-runner reaches 1B.

In (a), there is no penalty for leaving the base path since B5 was not avoiding a tag. In (b) verbal instructions are not considered aiding the runner. In (c) B5 did not enter the dugout or leave the field of play, so there is no penalty. In all cases, the run counts and the game is over. (8-1C)


This would seem to imply that NCAA, USA, and NFHS all have the same ruling. But I seem to recall from somewhere that one of these was different. In the sense that since the batter was awarded a base that forced all other runners to advance, that as long as the runner from third touched home plate, nothing else mattered.

Maybe I just heard (and remembered) a bad interpretation?
__________________
Ted
USA & NFHS Softball
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Tue May 08, 2018, 02:00pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 128
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
If #2 is an issue for someone, they shouldn't be on the field.
Very true!! In the world of everybody holding smart phones and Go Pro type cameras getting hung on the fences more and more, it's inevitable.
Reply With Quote
  #12 (permalink)  
Old Tue May 08, 2018, 02:45pm
Stirrer of the Pot
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Lowcountry, SC
Posts: 2,212
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
I started a similar thread entitled "Miss St @ Ole Miss (Video)" back in March 2015.

I think NCAA (which I don't work) is the same as NFHS where the runner is supposed to touch first base after receiving a base on balls.

I found this case play from ASA from 2009:

With one out, bases loaded and the score tied in the bottom of the seventh, B5 walks on four pitches bringing in the winning run. B5 joins in the celebration and is reminded to go to 1B by a coach. The defense appeals (a) that B5 was out of the base path, (b) that B5 was aided by a coach while the ball was in play, and (c) that B5 did not go directly to 1B. The umpires rule all runners safe once the batter-runner reaches 1B.

In (a), there is no penalty for leaving the base path since B5 was not avoiding a tag. In (b) verbal instructions are not considered aiding the runner. In (c) B5 did not enter the dugout or leave the field of play, so there is no penalty. In all cases, the run counts and the game is over. (8-1C)


This would seem to imply that NCAA, USA, and NFHS all have the same ruling. But I seem to recall from somewhere that one of these was different. In the sense that since the batter was awarded a base that forced all other runners to advance, that as long as the runner from third touched home plate, nothing else mattered.

Maybe I just heard (and remembered) a bad interpretation?
Here is an NCAA Case Play that is not directly the same, but offers an interesting ruling:

Quote:
A.R. 12-26. With a runner on third base and one out, the batter receives ball four. The offensive team is located on the first base sideline and as the batter is walking to first base, she stops to have a conversation with the on-deck/upcoming batter. After a five or six second conversation, they "high five" and both players take their respective positions. The defensive coach believes the batter-runner is guilty of abandoning her base running responsibilities and should be called out.
RULING: Because the ball is live and the batter-runner is obligated to advance on the base on balls, there should be common sense application as to the type and length of delay that occurs before the umpire intervenes and directs the batter-runner to immediately advance to the base or be declared out. Batters who do not disrupt play, but quickly remove elbow padding or even hand their bat to the on-deck batter before proceeding to first base should not be called out. However, if after being directed to advance, the batter-runner refuses to advance, delays advancing, or ignores the direction, she should be declared out for abandoning an effort to run the bases.
(Rule 12.11)
So, the NCAA tells umpires that when a BR walks but doesn't immediately advance to first base, we should direct the BR to go to first or be declared out. I guess that would apply in a game-ending walk as well, huh?
__________________
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Reply With Quote
  #13 (permalink)  
Old Tue May 08, 2018, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 588
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
So, the NCAA tells umpires that when a BR walks but doesn't immediately advance to first base, we should direct the BR to go to first or be declared out. I guess that would apply in a game-ending walk as well, huh?
I know bat and ball games have different philosophies from other sports on preventive officiating. But, I wonder if a simple statement like "Ball 4, make sure you touch first" would be enough to keep you from being a Youtube star.
Reply With Quote
  #14 (permalink)  
Old Tue May 08, 2018, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by Altor View Post
I know bat and ball games have different philosophies from other sports on preventive officiating. But, I wonder if a simple statement like "Ball 4, make sure you touch first" would be enough to keep you from being a Youtube star.
That maybe considered coaching. Don't they already have a few people to do that?
__________________
The bat issue in softball is as much about liability, insurance and litigation as it is about competition, inflated egos and softball.
Reply With Quote
  #15 (permalink)  
Old Tue May 08, 2018, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 588
Like I said...different philosophies
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
When Are Umps Supposed to Arrive? grunewar Baseball 18 Mon Apr 15, 2013 09:05am
How Would You Have Handled This? bas2456 Basketball 14 Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:59am
How should I have handled this jwwashburn Baseball 54 Wed May 20, 2009 10:47pm
If you're supposed to get and angle and get set ... Kevin Finnerty Baseball 19 Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:33am
How would you have handled this one? whiskers_ump Softball 5 Fri Aug 15, 2003 02:31pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:15pm.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1