The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Wed Apr 25, 2018, 11:12am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,536
Detached Equipment

Gotta share this one from the Softball Umpires facebook page:

Catch or No Catch? B1 hits a high line drive, knocking the glove off F5ís hand with the ball in it. Prior to the glove hitting the ground F5 catches the glove/ball. F6 starts to celebrate his catch. Catch or No Catch?

I am assuming that F6 actually grabbed the glove before hitting the ground, but it is irrelevant.

There is obviously not enough info, so the assumption is the second defender eventually took possession of the ball.

However, the argument being made is that this is a no catch based on detached equipment. Though not a given, much of the debate is based on USA rules

Thoughts?
__________________
The bat issue in softball is as much about liability, insurance and litigation as it is about competition, inflated egos and softball.
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Wed Apr 25, 2018, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Posts: 6,348
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Gotta share this one from the Softball Umpires facebook page:

Catch or No Catch? B1 hits a high line drive, knocking the glove off F5’s hand with the ball in it. Prior to the glove hitting the ground F5 catches the glove/ball. F6 starts to celebrate his catch. Catch or No Catch?

I am assuming that F6 actually grabbed the glove before hitting the ground, but it is irrelevant.

There is obviously not enough info, so the assumption is the second defender eventually took possession of the ball.

However, the argument being made is that this is a no catch based on detached equipment. Though not a given, much of the debate is based on USA rules

Thoughts?
If the ball was in the F5 glove before it came off, and F5 caught/controlled the glove with ball; good catch.

If F6 caught the glove, that is detached equipment.
Why is that irrelevant?
__________________
Officiating takes more than OJT.
It's not our jobs to invent rulings to fit our personal idea of what should and should not be.
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Wed Apr 25, 2018, 12:25pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Derry, NH
Posts: 1,189
USA rules states: 8.5.F

"When a fielder intentionally contacts or catches...

I have a legal catch, regardless if F5 or F6 managed to snag the glove before it hit the ground. Much like a batted ball in the air that deflects off one fielder and another catches the ball.
__________________
Ted
USA & NFHS Softball
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Wed Apr 25, 2018, 08:53pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
If the ball was in the F5 glove before it came off, and F5 caught/controlled the glove with ball; good catch.

If F6 caught the glove, that is detached equipment.
Why is that irrelevant?
Because it does not meet the definition of detached equipment as it refers to making a play with the ball
__________________
The bat issue in softball is as much about liability, insurance and litigation as it is about competition, inflated egos and softball.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Wed Apr 25, 2018, 10:12pm
Stirrer of the Pot
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Lowcountry, SC
Posts: 2,330
The debate involves the USA Definition of No Catch under Rule 1. It says it is not a catch:

Quote:
3. When the fielder catches a batted or thrown ball with anything other than the hand(s) or glove / mitt in its proper place.
The issue here is that the ball knocked the glove off the fielder's hand before he/she demonstrates control of it. Once he/she prevents the glove from falling on the ground with the ball in it, does that make it a catch or not? Since the glove is not in its proper place at that moment, does the fielder still need to reach into the glove to secure the ball in his/her hand to finally validate the catch? Or is it sufficient to simply hold onto the glove with the ball in it?
__________________
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Thu Apr 26, 2018, 07:53am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
The debate involves the USA Definition of No Catch under Rule 1. It says it is not a catch:



The issue here is that the ball knocked the glove off the fielder's hand before he/she demonstrates control of it. Once he/she prevents the glove from falling on the ground with the ball in it, does that make it a catch or not? Since the glove is not in its proper place at that moment, does the fielder still need to reach into the glove to secure the ball in his/her hand to finally validate the catch? Or is it sufficient to simply hold onto the glove with the ball in it?
The detached equipment rule has no relevance in the play since it was not intentional. Besides, the glove WAS in it's "proper place" when contact with the ball was made and the ball and/or glove never touched anything other than a defender.
__________________
The bat issue in softball is as much about liability, insurance and litigation as it is about competition, inflated egos and softball.
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Thu Apr 26, 2018, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
The detached equipment rule has no relevance in the play since it was not intentional. Besides, the glove WAS in it's "proper place" when contact with the ball was made and the ball and/or glove never touched anything other than a defender.
Irish, I'd like to ask a very specific question related to this original post.

First, I understand and agree with you that this is not detached equipment for the reasons you say.

Second, I think the original post has a typo because the writer says the glove came off F5 and F5 caught the glove. Then the writer says F6 celebrates. Let's assume F6 has nothing to do with this play because F5 is the one who caught the glove.

So if F5 caught the glove which contains the ball, but she does not but the glove on her hand, do we need to wait to make the out call until she either 1) puts the glove on her hand properly with the ball in it, or 2) takes the ball out with her bare hand. Otherwise is this like a fielder trapping the ball against her chest and we don't have an out unless she controls the ball with the hand or glove?

Thanks
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Fri Apr 27, 2018, 08:20am
Stirrer of the Pot
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Lowcountry, SC
Posts: 2,330
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephrt1 View Post
Irish, I'd like to ask a very specific question related to this original post.

First, I understand and agree with you that this is not detached equipment for the reasons you say.

Second, I think the original post has a typo because the writer says the glove came off F5 and F5 caught the glove. Then the writer says F6 celebrates. Let's assume F6 has nothing to do with this play because F5 is the one who caught the glove.

So if F5 caught the glove which contains the ball, but she does not but the glove on her hand, do we need to wait to make the out call until she either 1) puts the glove on her hand properly with the ball in it, or 2) takes the ball out with her bare hand. Otherwise is this like a fielder trapping the ball against her chest and we don't have an out unless she controls the ball with the hand or glove?

Thanks
Your last point is how I said it should be handled. The fact that the glove was on the fielder's hand at the time the ball entered into it is irrelevant to me because the fielder never controlled the ball at any moment. When she finally "caught" the glove with the ball in it, preventing it from hitting the ground, it's still not a catch because she's a ball in the glove that is not on the fielder's hand is not possession. We already know that from the interpretation that a pitcher in the circle who takes her glove off with the ball in it, and puts the glove between her legs to fix her hair does not possess the ball, so the LBR is off.

All I have when the fielder holds onto the glove with the ball in it is a ball that hasn't been controlled yet. Once she reaches into the glove to secure the ball in her hand (or puts the glove on without dropping the ball), then we have a catch.
__________________
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Fri Apr 27, 2018, 08:23am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: USA
Posts: 14,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by josephrt1 View Post
Irish, I'd like to ask a very specific question related to this original post.

First, I understand and agree with you that this is not detached equipment for the reasons you say.

Second, I think the original post has a typo because the writer says the glove came off F5 and F5 caught the glove. Then the writer says F6 celebrates. Let's assume F6 has nothing to do with this play because F5 is the one who caught the glove.

So if F5 caught the glove which contains the ball, but she does not but the glove on her hand, do we need to wait to make the out call until she either 1) puts the glove on her hand properly with the ball in it, or 2) takes the ball out with her bare hand. Otherwise is this like a fielder trapping the ball against her chest and we don't have an out unless she controls the ball with the hand or glove?

Thanks
Yes, as I noted, the fielder, any fielder, must take possession of the ball. That means holding and showing control of the ball (not the glove), prior to the ball touching the ground, wall, fence, offensive player, umpire, pigeon, etc. This would clearly meet the definition of a catch. And if it is a catch, in this case, it is an out.
__________________
The bat issue in softball is as much about liability, insurance and litigation as it is about competition, inflated egos and softball.
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Fri Apr 27, 2018, 10:15am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Posts: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Yes, as I noted, the fielder, any fielder, must take possession of the ball. That means holding and showing control of the ball (not the glove), prior to the ball touching the ground, wall, fence, offensive player, umpire, pigeon, etc. This would clearly meet the definition of a catch. And if it is a catch, in this case, it is an out.
Thanks, very clear.
Reply With Quote
  #11 (permalink)  
Old Sun Apr 29, 2018, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,640
There is (or used to be) an ASA case play where two fielders collide trying to catch a fly ball, the ball is in the glove of one fielder, it comes off in the collision, then the other fielder grabs the glove with ball before it hits the ground. That is ruled a catch.

If your glove can fly off with the ball in it and another player can make the catch, then I'm sure you can catch your own glove in the same fashion.

I think that the confusion with the USA "catch" definition is that it seems to allude to the detached equipment rule, but it really doesn't just due to the way that it's worded. There's nothing there about the equipment becoming detached unintentionally. It only mentions "properly worn" equipment and makes no mention of intent.

Combined with that case play, I would have to say that the "catch" definition is referring to the actual detached equipment rule and that you do have to consider the fielder's intent.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Detached equipment (OBR) David Emerling Baseball 30 Fri Sep 28, 2012 03:00pm
Detached Player Equipment MikeStrybel Baseball 3 Mon Dec 12, 2011 07:55pm
Detached Equipment on a Foul Fly SC Ump Softball 12 Mon May 11, 2009 02:56pm
detached equipment ggk Baseball 17 Sun Jan 20, 2008 01:21am
Detached Equipment rwest Softball 6 Fri May 05, 2006 01:09pm


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:16am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1