The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 25, 2017, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Miscellaneous non-NCAA Mechanics

I can't find this, so tell me if it is in the USA manual somewhere.

The PU covers 2nd if the BU has to make a 1st base call from foul ground on the BR, only runner.
Old Wed Oct 25, 2017, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think you're going to find it there. Just like you'll never find BU covering home in a 2-ump system.

But as always: "if you deviate, communicate."
Old Wed Oct 25, 2017, 05:59pm
Official Forum Member

Not in any umpire manual I have ever seen.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2017, 07:41am
Stirrer of the Pot

Unless they've changed their tune, USA Softball doesn't support the mechanic of the BU getting pinched into foul territory on a ball hit to the right side. The NUS expects the BU to be able to bust in and button-hook to make a call at first base on a sharply hit ball to F9, for example.

That said, if the BU has to go into foul territory, the PU must move up to take the runner to second and third. If the play breaks down such that the runner ends up going home, the BU could cover home, but I think the "approved" mechanic is for the PU to take the runner all the way around, just as if the BU chased into the outfield.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker

Last edited by Manny A; Thu Oct 26, 2017 at 07:43am.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2017, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
I can't find this, so tell me if it is in the USA manual somewhere.

The PU covers 2nd if the BU has to make a 1st base call from foul ground on the BR, only runner.
Not in the manual.

As taught, if the BU gets caught in foul ground, s/he should cut behind the runner and attempt to get the best angle for a play at 2B.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2017, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

I always pregame this with my partner. If they get caught in foul territory, I will take the batter runner to second and beyond.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2017, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Unless they've changed their tune, USA Softball doesn't support the mechanic of the BU getting pinched into foul territory on a ball hit to the right side.
The NUS expects the BU to be able to bust in and button-hook to make a call at first base on a sharply hit ball to F9, for example.
Yep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
That said, if the BU has to go into foul territory, the PU must move up to take the runner to second and third.

If the play breaks down such that the runner ends up going home, the BU could cover home, but I think the "approved" mechanic is for the PU to take the runner all the way around, just as if the BU chased into the outfield.
I have never found either bolded provision in the USA manual. Please cite if it is there or approved somewhere else.
Old Thu Oct 26, 2017, 12:54pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
I have never found either bolded provision in the USA manual. Please cite if it is there or approved somewhere else.
That's the gist of this discussion; you won't find this in the USA manual because they don't approve of the BU moving into foul territory to begin with.

The CCA Manual for college play does show the BU moving into foul territory under two-man for a ground ball in the infield with no runners, saying in the text under the graphic that the BU "may use foul territory only if necessary." But then it makes no mention that should that happen, the PU takes any responsibility of the BR going to second and third. In fact, the book says the BU is still responsible for taking the BR to second or third. So if the BU does move into foul territory, he/she will have a tough time chasing down that BR to second should she continue on.

Over in "that other sport", there may be something written in umpire manuals that cover this. And perhaps umpires who transition from there to softball may bring this concept to the smaller diamond with no grass.

Bottom line: This is a deviation to a standard mechanic. Deviations are rarely put into print. You'll only hear about them during umpire clinics if the clinician feels the need to cover those contingencies.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker