The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Question

I have been told, but would like to confirm this. On NCAA mechanics, are umpires being directed to stay outside the diamond, instead of coming in when the ball goes out? I have worked with some higher level umpires who work college ball, and they tell me you can stay outside in some instances. I didn't know if this was true or they were just being lazy. Dave
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

Depends on the umpire group. The group I am with wants the umpire in "B" when there are no runners on (2 man). Then if there is a single to left or center the umpire would stay outside. I don't agree with it because that is not what the manual says, but I just do as the boss says.

The NCAA game needs 3 umpires on their games in my opinion.

If I am not working for this group I use the mechanics of the manual.

Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 11:34am
Official Forum Member

Dave,
Are you speaking about a ball to left when in 'A'? If so, then yes - and why not.

I agree with Rachel - the college game needs a 3-ump crew to do it right.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

In NCAA Level of ball with 3 Person Mechanics, there are alot of times where it is permissible to stay out with the ball on the grass. Further, if we come in and then ball comes in we are being told to try and get BACK Outside if possible depending on the play.

It's all about trying to keep the ball and runners in front of you while working for the proper angle.

As for being lazy....If you want to work constantly at the D1 level being lazy means not working.

The Mrs. and I work so much 3-Person it feels awkward when we work a 2 person game.
Old Thu Mar 24, 2005, 01:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve M
Dave,
Are you speaking about a ball to left when in 'A'? If so, then yes - and why not.
I've worked this mechanic with Billy P. If you do not have a third umpire and there is a play on the 3B side of 2B, you may get burnt. It works better at the higher levels, but there is no guarantee everything will go smooth.

Old Fri Mar 25, 2005, 05:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kellerumps
In NCAA Level of ball with 3 Person Mechanics, there are alot of times where it is permissible to stay out with the ball on the grass. Further, if we come in and then ball comes in we are being told to try and get BACK Outside if possible depending on the play.

It's all about trying to keep the ball and runners in front of you while working for the proper angle.

As for being lazy....If you want to work constantly at the D1 level being lazy means not working.

The Mrs. and I work so much 3-Person it feels awkward when we work a 2 person game.
It looks awkward too!