The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 19, 2017, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Tangent to passing a runner topic.

from the other topic:
"R1 on third decides to go toward home but then retreats to 3rd.
But pitcher picks up ball and looks toward 2nd. R1 then takes off for home, stops, retreats back to third but finally goes all the way home
. "

is there a Look Back Rule issue there?
Was the pitcher in the circle when she picked up the ball?
Does "looks toward 2nd" count as a play or fake play, before the throw?
Old Thu Oct 19, 2017, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

Even if the pitcher was in the circle when picking up the ball, there is still a time when she is considered a fielder in the middle of a play (and not a pitcher in control of the ball in the circle).

Most likely, at this moment, she was a fielder in recovery mode from dropping the fly ball, and not acting as a pitcher with all action stopped.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2017, 10:32am
Call it as I see it.

Cecil you then would need to know if the B/R has reached first base to have a possible look back violation.

The original play is a HTBT play.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2017, 11:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Blue View Post
Cecil you then would need to know if the B/R has reached first base to have a possible look back violation.
Of course, I read it that way. Not sure, but in my tangent, if BR was there.
Old Thu Oct 19, 2017, 04:06pm
Official Forum Member

During all of the original scenario, the pitcher never went into the circle. No look back rule. Most of the time any fielder who had the ball stood with ball in hand and glove hand on hip, and a perplexed look on their face.
Old Fri Oct 20, 2017, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Jimmy View Post
During all of the original scenario, the pitcher never went into the circle. No look back rule. Most of the time any fielder who had the ball stood with ball in hand and glove hand on hip, and a perplexed look on their face.
I thought you would have mentioned it, which is why my hypothetical needed a separate topic.
Old Fri Oct 20, 2017, 04:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
from the other topic:
"R1 on third decides to go toward home but then retreats to 3rd.
But pitcher picks up ball and looks toward 2nd. R1 then takes off for home, stops, retreats back to third but finally goes all the way home
. "

is there a Look Back Rule issue there?
Was the pitcher in the circle when she picked up the ball?
Does "looks toward 2nd" count as a play or fake play, before the throw?
By rule, I don't think you can avoid this. There's no exception for until the play ends in the LBR. I don't think the rule was intended this way though and I don't the distinction is going to matter in all but the most unusual of circumstances. The LBR is canceled if the pitcher fakes or makes a play. If she's still acting as a fielder she's almost certainly going to do one of those two things.
Old Fri Oct 20, 2017, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
By rule, I don't think you can avoid this. There's no exception for until the play ends in the LBR. I don't think the rule was intended this way though and I don't the distinction is going to matter in all but the most unusual of circumstances. The LBR is canceled if the pitcher fakes or makes a play. If she's still acting as a fielder she's almost certainly going to do one of those two things.
The pitcher making a play, or some action that incites a response from the runners does cancel the lookback rule for the moment, it doesnt cancel it permanently for that play. As soon as the pitcher goes back to just simply holding the ball in the circle the lookback rule reactivates.
Old Sat Oct 21, 2017, 11:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
The pitcher making a play, or some action that incites a response from the runners does cancel the lookback rule for the moment, it doesnt cancel it permanently for that play. As soon as the pitcher goes back to just simply holding the ball in the circle the lookback rule reactivates.
Yes, but the pitcher isn't going to do that while the play is still on going.
Old Sat Oct 21, 2017, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
Yes, but the pitcher isn't going to do that while the play is still on going.
Pitchers fake throws all the time, especially at younger levels. The lookback is off when they fake the throw, as soon as they stop and are no longer feinting a motion to make a play the lookback rule is back in effect.
Old Sun Oct 22, 2017, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Pitchers fake throws all the time, especially at younger levels. The lookback is off when they fake the throw, as soon as they stop and are no longer feinting a motion to make a play the lookback rule is back in effect.
Agreed. Even if F1 isn't pumping fake throws, if that ball is held in a throwing position, the LBR isn't on.
Old Sun Oct 22, 2017, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
Agreed. Even if F1 isn't pumping fake throws, if that ball is held in a throwing position, the LBR isn't on.
Unless something has changed recently, raising the arm to a throwing position is considered a play by the pitcher for the purpose of the LBR.
Old Sun Oct 22, 2017, 08:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Unless something has changed recently, raising the arm to a throwing position is considered a play by the pitcher for the purpose of the LBR.
That was the point I was making. "Agreed" was a broad term: I agree that pitchers make fake throws all the time, especially at lower/younger levels.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2017, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

And my final question was:

"Does "looks toward 2nd" count as a play or fake play, before the throw?"

Let's assume arm not raised.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2017, 11:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
And my final question was:

"Does "looks toward 2nd" count as a play or fake play, before the throw?"

Let's assume arm not raised.
HTBT call. A casual look in that direction, no; a quick head jerk around, yes.

The simplest way to determine what counts is to ask yourself if it is remotely reasonable for a runner to react as if threatened. If it is reasonable to react, then it isn't a LBR violation for the runner to react; if there is no reason to consider the runner in jeopardy of a play (fake play), then it isn't a play (fake play).

Players make partial or borderline moves for the sole purpose of getting the runner to react; that's what coaches teach. Look at the intent of the motion/non-motion, and judge accordingly. It's really that simple. And when/if a coach challenges that decision, you respond with "IN MY JUDGMENT".