The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   Tangent to passing a runner topic. (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/103034-tangent-passing-runner-topic.html)

CecilOne Thu Oct 19, 2017 09:11am

Tangent to passing a runner topic.

from the other topic:
"R1 on third decides to go toward home but then retreats to 3rd.
But pitcher picks up ball and looks toward 2nd. R1 then takes off for home, stops, retreats back to third but finally goes all the way home
. "

is there a Look Back Rule issue there?
Was the pitcher in the circle when she picked up the ball?
Does "looks toward 2nd" count as a play or fake play, before the throw?

jmkupka Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:31am

Even if the pitcher was in the circle when picking up the ball, there is still a time when she is considered a fielder in the middle of a play (and not a pitcher in control of the ball in the circle).

Most likely, at this moment, she was a fielder in recovery mode from dropping the fly ball, and not acting as a pitcher with all action stopped.

Insane Blue Thu Oct 19, 2017 10:32am

Cecil you then would need to know if the B/R has reached first base to have a possible look back violation.

The original play is a HTBT play.

CecilOne Thu Oct 19, 2017 11:11am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Insane Blue (Post 1010334)
Cecil you then would need to know if the B/R has reached first base to have a possible look back violation.

Of course, I read it that way. Not sure, but in my tangent, if BR was there.

Little Jimmy Thu Oct 19, 2017 04:06pm

During all of the original scenario, the pitcher never went into the circle. No look back rule. Most of the time any fielder who had the ball stood with ball in hand and glove hand on hip, and a perplexed look on their face.

CecilOne Fri Oct 20, 2017 03:05pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Jimmy (Post 1010360)
During all of the original scenario, the pitcher never went into the circle. No look back rule. Most of the time any fielder who had the ball stood with ball in hand and glove hand on hip, and a perplexed look on their face.

I thought you would have mentioned it, which is why my hypothetical needed a separate topic.

youngump Fri Oct 20, 2017 04:55pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 1010310)
from the other topic:
"R1 on third decides to go toward home but then retreats to 3rd.
But pitcher picks up ball and looks toward 2nd. R1 then takes off for home, stops, retreats back to third but finally goes all the way home
. "

is there a Look Back Rule issue there?
Was the pitcher in the circle when she picked up the ball?
Does "looks toward 2nd" count as a play or fake play, before the throw?

By rule, I don't think you can avoid this. There's no exception for until the play ends in the LBR. I don't think the rule was intended this way though and I don't the distinction is going to matter in all but the most unusual of circumstances. The LBR is canceled if the pitcher fakes or makes a play. If she's still acting as a fielder she's almost certainly going to do one of those two things.

RKBUmp Fri Oct 20, 2017 05:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngump (Post 1010398)
By rule, I don't think you can avoid this. There's no exception for until the play ends in the LBR. I don't think the rule was intended this way though and I don't the distinction is going to matter in all but the most unusual of circumstances. The LBR is canceled if the pitcher fakes or makes a play. If she's still acting as a fielder she's almost certainly going to do one of those two things.

The pitcher making a play, or some action that incites a response from the runners does cancel the lookback rule for the moment, it doesnt cancel it permanently for that play. As soon as the pitcher goes back to just simply holding the ball in the circle the lookback rule reactivates.

youngump Sat Oct 21, 2017 11:17am

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 1010400)
The pitcher making a play, or some action that incites a response from the runners does cancel the lookback rule for the moment, it doesnt cancel it permanently for that play. As soon as the pitcher goes back to just simply holding the ball in the circle the lookback rule reactivates.

Yes, but the pitcher isn't going to do that while the play is still on going.

RKBUmp Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:24pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngump (Post 1010412)
Yes, but the pitcher isn't going to do that while the play is still on going.

Pitchers fake throws all the time, especially at younger levels. The lookback is off when they fake the throw, as soon as they stop and are no longer feinting a motion to make a play the lookback rule is back in effect.

teebob21 Sun Oct 22, 2017 07:59pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by RKBUmp (Post 1010413)
Pitchers fake throws all the time, especially at younger levels. The lookback is off when they fake the throw, as soon as they stop and are no longer feinting a motion to make a play the lookback rule is back in effect.

Agreed. Even if F1 isn't pumping fake throws, if that ball is held in a throwing position, the LBR isn't on.

IRISHMAFIA Sun Oct 22, 2017 08:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by teebob21 (Post 1010445)
Agreed. Even if F1 isn't pumping fake throws, if that ball is held in a throwing position, the LBR isn't on.

Unless something has changed recently, raising the arm to a throwing position is considered a play by the pitcher for the purpose of the LBR.

teebob21 Sun Oct 22, 2017 08:49pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA (Post 1010447)
Unless something has changed recently, raising the arm to a throwing position is considered a play by the pitcher for the purpose of the LBR.

That was the point I was making. "Agreed" was a broad term: I agree that pitchers make fake throws all the time, especially at lower/younger levels.

CecilOne Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:26am

And my final question was:

"Does "looks toward 2nd" count as a play or fake play, before the throw?"

Let's assume arm not raised. :rolleyes:

AtlUmpSteve Mon Oct 23, 2017 11:54am

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 1010472)
And my final question was:

"Does "looks toward 2nd" count as a play or fake play, before the throw?"

Let's assume arm not raised. :rolleyes:

HTBT call. A casual look in that direction, no; a quick head jerk around, yes.

The simplest way to determine what counts is to ask yourself if it is remotely reasonable for a runner to react as if threatened. If it is reasonable to react, then it isn't a LBR violation for the runner to react; if there is no reason to consider the runner in jeopardy of a play (fake play), then it isn't a play (fake play).

Players make partial or borderline moves for the sole purpose of getting the runner to react; that's what coaches teach. Look at the intent of the motion/non-motion, and judge accordingly. It's really that simple. And when/if a coach challenges that decision, you respond with "IN MY JUDGMENT".