The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 12, 2017, 09:08am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru_in_Blu View Post
So you also give a verbal "NO!"? I guess I've been more fortunate in that regard. I don't really recall ever having a problem with that.
I think he meant that yelling "NO" sounds like "OUT" to many.

There is no verbalization for no catch, missed base, fair ball, etc. in the mechanics.
Old Thu Oct 12, 2017, 09:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by teebob21 View Post
Example on a check swing: Mask off, point to partner, and "SWING?" I still haven't gotten that entirely out of my system.
Isn't that correct?
Old Thu Oct 12, 2017, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Isn't that correct?
"Ask in a loud verbal voice "Did they go?"

I guess that works better when there are multiple batters.
Old Thu Oct 12, 2017, 11:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Isn't that correct?
No, that lasted about a year or so and they returned to the previous mechanic.

And you were correct, I meant what is stated is not what the players/coaches claim to have heard. Same with "NO CATCH". Players claim to hear catch, which is true, they just don't hear the "NO".

I would suggest that if you are going to say anything, repeat it multiple times to reduce the chance of misunderstanding.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2017, 08:53am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
And you were correct, I meant what is stated is not what the players/coaches claim to have heard. Same with "NO CATCH". Players claim to hear catch, which is true, they just don't hear the "NO".
FWIW, my verbals on fly balls to the outfield are more for my partner's sake than that of the players. I'll either say, "Catch!" or "On the ground!" to let him/her know the ball's status. I don't like saying, "No Catch!" to avoid my partner missing the "No" in that.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Fri Oct 13, 2017, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
FWIW, my verbals on fly balls to the outfield are more for my partner's sake than that of the players. I'll either say, "Catch!" or "On the ground!" to let him/her know the ball's status. I don't like saying, "No Catch!" to avoid my partner missing the "No" in that.
USA and NFHS mechanics are almost identical as far as I can tell. If you're being evaluated by our HS Umpire's association and say "Catch!" on a caught fly ball, you will be marked down. The call is "Out!"

I've done at least 2 games during evaluations where my plate partner called outs by "Catch!" and they were both dinged. If I remember, I think they were both baseball officials as well as softball.

I do also use the "on the ground" verbal for my partners when I do the plate. I've had some people tell me that's not a proper mechanic. But I still do it and usually pre-game that when working with a new partner.
Old Sat Oct 21, 2017, 01:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
During a recent tournament I compiled some inputs for a newer umpire that was working with us. The tournament was a USA sanctioned event.

After composing the tips, I looked up references in the USA Umpire Manual.

Now I have a question about the mechanic for the PU to verbalize the out on a fly ball to the outfield. I also checked my NFHS Umpire Manual to see what they had.

The NFHS covers it under Movement from the Plate in item 4.

“On fly balls to the outfield not near the foul line, move to obtain a good angle to the catch versus straight at the fielder catching the ball. If the ball is caught, give an out signal and a verbal ‘out’ call.”

The USA version is similar, on fly balls not near the foul line: B.1.d.2)

“If the ball is fair and not caught, no signal is needed. No verbal call is given. If the ball is caught, give an out signal.”

There are multiple passages within this section that are greyed out, indicating that these were updates this year.

I have always verbalized (and signaled) even the most can-of-cornish catches. If I have a plate partner who doesn’t verbalize, I’ve always asked that they do.

Is this a change for USA or was something inadvertently omitted?

Four or five years ago, I asked a plate partner why he wasn’t verbalizing fly ball outs. He said he worked “college ball” and the philosophy was no verbal call so as not to (further) embarrass a girl who made an out. He also gave a very weak little fist turn over near his belt. My BS antennae started twitching, but since I don’t work “college ball” I couldn’t refute the statement.

Anyhoos… Comments?
Okay...I'll play devil's advocate here.

Do you feel a need to verbalize all calls that are obvious to everyone in the ballpark?

A lazy fly ball to the outfield, like an obvious foul, doesn't require a verbal call, IMO. A simple routine out call, just like one used on a runner who is out by 15 feet at first base, is all that is needed. No need to be overly officious. Everyone knows it is an out, just a simple acknowledgement is all that is needed. This way, on closer calls, the verbal has more power. More weight.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sun Oct 22, 2017, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post

Do you feel a need to verbalize all calls that are obvious to everyone in the ballpark?

A lazy fly ball to the outfield, like an obvious foul, doesn't require a verbal call, IMO. A simple routine out call, just like one used on a runner who is out by 15 feet at first base, is all that is needed. No need to be overly officious. Everyone knows it is an out, just a simple acknowledgement is all that is needed. This way, on closer calls, the verbal has more power. More weight.
I verbalize everything. A no doubter at first or a can of corn? "Out." at normal speaking voice + signal. The only person that probably hears me is the F3 on a play at 1B, or the catcher on a fly ball.
Old Sun Oct 22, 2017, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Softball vs Baseball Umpire

Some of the best baseball umpires are good softball umpires.
Old Mon Oct 23, 2017, 06:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post

If I'm doing a HS game in NH, absolutely. I always verbalize regardless, even though USA doesn't apparently require it. Not big, loud sell outs, but if my partner is following a runner, I want him/her to hear me.

After an evaluation game one year, the evaluator claimed that I didn't verbalize an out. I was on the bases that game and I responded that I verbalize every out. He further claimed that he didn't see my mouth move. So I lost points for not verbalizing and for having the gall to challenge him on it. Vindictive SOB.
Old Tue Oct 24, 2017, 10:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue06 View Post
Some of the best baseball umpires are good softball umpires.
Yep.
Old Tue Oct 24, 2017, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
If I'm doing a HS game in NH, absolutely. I always verbalize regardless, even though USA doesn't apparently require it.
What leads you to say that?
Old Tue Oct 24, 2017, 02:26pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
What leads you to say that?
I thought this was in response to the situation of an obvious catch called by a chasing BU. If it's an routine catch of a can of corn fly ball, I don't know of any organization that requires the verbal "Out" call, just like we don't normally use a verbal "Out" when the BR gets thrown out at first base by tens of feet.

Are there organizations out there that require a verbal "Out" call for every fly ball catch by a chasing BU? I do believe that the PU should verbalize, but that's for the benefit of his/her partners knowing that a catch was made.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Oct 24, 2017, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
I thought this was in response to the situation of an obvious catch called by a chasing BU. If it's an routine catch of a can of corn fly ball, I don't know of any organization that requires the verbal "Out" call, just like we don't normally use a verbal "Out" when the BR gets thrown out at first base by tens of feet.

Are there organizations out there that require a verbal "Out" call for every fly ball catch by a chasing BU? I do believe that the PU should verbalize, but that's for the benefit of his/her partners knowing that a catch was made.
Not sure when the "chasing BU" snuck into this thread, but from my OP, NFHS requires a verbal by PU:

The NFHS covers it under Movement from the Plate in item 4.

“On fly balls to the outfield not near the foul line, move to obtain a good angle to the catch versus straight at the fielder catching the ball. If the ball is caught, give an out signal and a verbal ‘out’ call.”
Old Tue Oct 24, 2017, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Page 24 of USA Umpire Manual.

ROUTINE OUT & STRIKE

4) ... as you verbalize the out call.

Not the sell out, mind you. The routine out call.

So back to the original question: verbalize a fly ball out?