The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 12, 2017, 08:27am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
I can't imagine a coach would take it that far, either, but that does not mean you are not overstepping your authority.

You reference 3-6-1, well, that rule says, in part, "Team personnel shall wear or use legal and/or required equipment."

Wear or use

It does not say anything about hanging in a bag in the dugout, nor does it say that all equipment not intended to be used in the game must be kept out of sight.
Well, I look at it as preventive umpiring. If it's in the dugout, there's the very real possibility that a player will use it. Otherwise, why bring it into the dugout in the first place?

What do you do when you find a piece of illegal equipment? Do you allow the team to keep it in the dugout? The rule book says that equipment shall be removed. I interpret "removed" as out of the dugout so that it doesn't make its way into the game. So under that authority, I will ask that bats not intended to be used in the game should also be removed.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Wed Apr 12, 2017, 10:38am
High Five Master

We have a lot of fields where the only way in is through a dugout, so of course the rule is not intended to keep them off limits to us. Just do what you are required and keep it moving
Old Wed Apr 12, 2017, 11:30am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevilRef View Post
We have a lot of fields where the only way in is through a dugout, so of course the rule is not intended to keep them off limits to us. Just do what you are required and keep it moving
The rule change really just allows for expediency in doing the job of checking those hats and bats. Often in the past, teams would put out their equipment in all sorts of different storing configurations. These things were especially a pain in the ass because stuff would fall on the ground as we went through looking at the gear.

There were also helmet bags where the helmets would fit snugly, and as you pulled helmets out, batting gloves would fall to the ground. Another pain in the ass. Then, as others alluded, it got a little crowded in that dugout to check gear while the girls were in there.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Sun Apr 23, 2017, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan View Post
I'm about a dozen games into the high school season and, so far, I have heard some variation of this phrase from three or four of my partners: "We're not allowed to go into the dugouts anymore".

The rule says that the umpires aren't "required" to go into the dugouts to check equipment. Somehow that's getting translated into "dugouts verboten!". I haven't seen anything that makes a dugout off limits to us.
This is a good example of something a coach may say that a good official simply can "fail to hear". With the equipment inspection taking place outside the team area now there is very little reason for us to be in there anyhow. Outside of sitting in an empty dugout waiting on team playing on another field or the occasional field that requires passing thru the team area to exit the field why would you need to go in there? And since you don't need to go in there why let it be a thing with a coach. That just starts the game off on edge for no reason.
Old Sun Apr 23, 2017, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

Whoops!

Brett I just reread your your post and realize you said partners were saying we are not allowed in the team area. I thought you were talking about coaches saying we are not allowed. I don't expect coaches to know the rules, then I can be pleasantly surprised by the ones who do!
Old Sun Apr 23, 2017, 07:17pm
Official Forum Member

{/QUOTE} If they are illegal, then the umpire must remove the bat and have it secured so it can't be accessed during the game. It can be returned to them following the conclusion of the game.

​If they don't comply with your first request, it's a team warning. If they don't comply on your 2nd request, then the head coach will be restricted to the dugout - and yes - that means he/she will be restricted before the game has even started. (of course, allow the coach to attend the plate meeting!)[/QUOTE]

Cecil, we talked about this tonight at our association meeting. Where in the rule book does it say the bat has to be removed from the dugout? Plus where does it say it is a warning? The bat hasn't been used yet.
Old Mon Apr 24, 2017, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
If they are illegal, then the umpire must remove the bat and have it secured so it can't be accessed during the game. It can be returned to them following the conclusion of the game.

​If they don't comply with your first request, it's a team warning. If they don't comply on your 2nd request, then the head coach will be restricted to the dugout - and yes - that means he/she will be restricted before the game has even started. (of course, allow the coach to attend the plate meeting!)[/QUOTE]
.................................................. ....................................
Cecil, we talked about this tonight at our association meeting. Where in the rule book does it say the bat has to be removed from the dugout? Plus where does it say it is a warning? The bat hasn't been used yet.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea, mainly why I posted it.
Old Mon Apr 24, 2017, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by UmpireErnie View Post
Whoops!

Brett I just reread your your post and realize you said partners were saying we are not allowed in the team area. I thought you were talking about coaches saying we are not allowed. I don't expect coaches to know the rules, then I can be pleasantly surprised by the ones who do!
Ahhh...now your reply makes more sense!
Old Sun Apr 30, 2017, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

Prime example of why you insist ALL of the bats be out for inspection. 2nd round of state playoffs yesterday, inspecting equipment and I see 4 or 5 bats still in players backpacks hanging in dugout. I tell coach they have to come out for inspection, she tells me they arent being used. I tell her they either come out for inspection or they leave the dugout for duration of game. She brings them out and sure enough 2 of them are broken. One has a spiral split of the barrel and the other has 2 cracks running up from the joint in handle. I tell coach they have to be removed from dugout and as she is locking them in storage room I overhear the owner of one of the bats say something about she was still using the bat even though it was broken. How many officials before me just accepted the "we arent using those" excuse and didnt inspect them?
Old Tue May 02, 2017, 08:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
...How many officials before me just accepted the "we arent using those" excuse and didnt inspect them?
Apparently, all of them.
Old Wed May 03, 2017, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

According to Virginia per our Association we are not to ask for the bats to be removed form the dugout. I don't agree but that is their ruling.

"Bat Checks: EFFECTIVE IMMEDIATELY any bats that were not put outside the dug-out to be inspected prior to the start of the game, do NOT need to be removed from the dug-out. This was a preventive umpiring technique that isn't supported by any rule book or umpire manual."