The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 07, 2014, 01:44pm
Stirrer of the Pot

NFHS Equipment Checks

We had a recent discussion with a HS team's coach reference pre-game bat and helmet checks. When my partner (PU) and I went over to do them, the team had their bats and helmets on these neat little individual, numbered hooks that hung on the inside dugout fencing:

My partner informed the coach that the helmets and bats were to be set up on the outside of the fence so that we didn't have to walk into the dugout to do our checks. The coach responded that in previous games, the umpires had no problems checking the bats where they were.

He subsequently tried to find a reference somewhere that stipulated bats and helmets had to be outside the dugouts for pre-game checks, but came up empty. I haven't found anything either. Is there some edict somewhere, perhaps an NFHS clarification that was put out, on this? For those of you in the group who are from Virginia, was there anything put out by VHSL in a coach's clinic perhaps?
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Apr 07, 2014, 03:02pm
Official Forum Member

Wow HS...tell your partner to take a chill pill and go check the bats.
You'll get a chance to tell the players good afternoon and have a good game.
Your partner is setting the wrong tone for the game, if he's out there looking for things to call it's going to be a long game for you!
Old Mon Apr 07, 2014, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

We have been told not to enter the dugouts. All teams are instructed to have their equipment outside the dugout opening for the officials to inspect.

Dont now if something was stolen, or if something else happened inside a dugout but our association does not want officials entering to do inspections. It may be in your association bylaws you would need to check with your high school association.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2014, 03:33pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadking View Post
Your partner is setting the wrong tone for the game, if he's out there looking for things to call it's going to be a long game for you!
Somewhere along the line, HS softball coaches were told to put equipment outside the dugouts, because that's what's routinely done in our area. I have no idea why, but I suspect it has to do with the following:

- Makes things quicker for the umpires if everything's already laid out
- Keeps some separation between umpires and players/coaches in case there were any issues from previous games
- Some team dugouts are just too small to accommodate umpires trying to check equipment while players are also in the dugout
- There may be things that umpires just don't need to see inside the dugouts (girls adjusting uniforms, etc.)

Purely speculation on my part behind the reason(s). Regardless, it's extremely rare that teams don't but "bats and hats" along the dugout facing. And in situations where the teams haven't done so, a simple request has never been questioned in the past. Almost always, the team just didn't get around to it. This was the first time I've heard a coach question the requirement.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Mon Apr 07, 2014, 03:46pm
Official Forum Member

I've been told both in NFHS and ASA not to do the equipment checks in the dugout - for a variety of reasons. I've never had the situation in the OP presented to me though. I suspect that if they were organized as described and the players were not in there too, I'd have checked them as is --- and then later asked my assignor for a recommendation.

And if someone I assign had asked me a similar question, I'd be asking a level up before responding.

Good question! I'm going to ask a level up now.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Apr 07, 2014, 03:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
Somewhere along the line, HS softball coaches were told to put equipment outside the dugouts, because that's what's routinely done in our area. I have no idea why, but I suspect it has to do with the following:

- Keeps some separation between umpires and players/coaches in case there were any issues from previous games
- Some team dugouts are just too small to accommodate umpires trying to check equipment while players are also in the dugout
- There may be things that umpires just don't need to see inside the dugouts (girls adjusting uniforms, etc.)

Purely speculation on my part behind the reason(s). Regardless, it's extremely rare that teams don't but "bats and hats" along the dugout facing. And in situations where the teams haven't done so, a simple request has never been questioned in the past.
{SNIP}
That is pretty much true for our area also.
In addition we do not check alone, always 2 umpires.
Anytime any of these procedures is questioned, we are referred to the Jessica Lunsford Act better to be safe than sorry.
Jessica's Law - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Old Mon Apr 07, 2014, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
There is also the suspicion of the other team if we are longer with one than the other. Favoritism is the worst they can say about you. INTEGRITY and Neutrality are our existence.

yes, yes, of course I know the suspicion is unwarranted, the caution about it probably overkill, but the question is about the reason for the policy.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2014, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post

Not to mention: - being accused of stealing something.

Who needs that?
Old Mon Apr 07, 2014, 07:56pm
wife loves the goatee...

In our Assoc here in Central Va we are told that that the coaches are informed at their meeting with our Commissioner that the equipment should be outside the dugout. Never had an issue when we ask the teams to bring the equipment to us.
Old Mon Apr 07, 2014, 09:00pm
Administrator

I do not know about NCAA Rules, but one will not find a requirement for the bats, batting helmets, and catcher's helmets be placed outside in the NFHS, ASA, and USSSA fast pitch rules. That said, do not go into the dugout to check such items. The dugout is not our domain and if something is found to be broken or missing, we all know where suspicion will be aimed. Tell the Head Coach to have his players bring the equipment out. If the Coach complains be professional but remind him that is how the game is going to be conducted. Discretely remind him the game will not start until the equipment is checked.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

Paranoia, paranoia, everybody's coming to get me
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
I get what you are saying, but caution, prudence, consistency and following rules do not equal paranoia; and even if the umpire is paranoid, it is a rule.
Not going in the dugout is a rule? Citation please?
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 11:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
It may be in the bylaws of the state association. I do not know if it is in ours or not, but I do know we have been told repeatedly we do equipment inspections as a team and we do not enter the dugouts.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 11:57am
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Do you really need a rule for something that's just good practice?

I have no business in the dugout once play starts. I'm not going in there to receive line-up changes, to ask for new balls, to shade myself between innings, etc. etc.
Old Tue Apr 08, 2014, 12:26pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Sorry, I was thinking about the concurrent jewelry discussion.

So, just:
I get what you are saying, but caution, prudence, consistency and following rules do not equal paranoia.