The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 16, 2004, 01:24pm
M.A.S.H.

I am hoping to get some suggestions on what to do. For one thing, I am a strong believer in looking professional. So with that, whenever I am behind the plate and I am casting a shadow I always see my 3 nylon straps on my mask sticking up or out which bugs me and maybe could distract the pitcher (which I doubt, but you never know). I realize I could cut down the straps, although I’m not a real big fan or doing that. Any suggestions? Thanks

Tanner Jones
Old Sat Oct 16, 2004, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Depending on the kind of buckle you have, I'd suggest bringing the "extra" ends of the straps back up over the buckle and tucking it in under the forward bar of the slider.
Old Sat Oct 16, 2004, 04:46pm
Official Forum Member

I use black electric tape to tape down the straps...the shadow always bothered me too.
Old Sat Oct 16, 2004, 06:51pm
M.A.S.H.

Yeah I've thought about black tape--thanks. Any other thoughts?
Old Sat Oct 16, 2004, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Aside from what has been mentioned...sewing them might be an option. Its kinda crazy, but all the logical answers were already taken
Old Sat Oct 16, 2004, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Go to any fabric store and buy pressure sensitive fabric glue. You can "unglue" by gentley pulling straps apart.
btdt
Old Sat Oct 16, 2004, 09:39pm
Veteran College Umpire

I cut mine short, run a lit match over the cut ends so they won't fray, then sew them down. My head's not going to grow, so they don't have to be adjusted. It also prevents the practical joker in that tournament crew from "adjusting" them for me right before the big game...
Old Sun Oct 17, 2004, 02:42pm
M.A.S.H.

Good idea. I was hoping that I could find some "clip" that I could put on the harness and would hold it in place. I've been trying to search to find a unversial type clip but haven't had any luck (yet). Thanks for all the ideas so far! Keep them coming if there are anymore... although I'm sure they are getting bare.

tjones1
Old Sun Oct 17, 2004, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by tjones1
Good idea. I was hoping that I could find some "clip" that I could put on the harness and would hold it in place. I've been trying to search to find a unversial type clip but haven't had any luck (yet). Thanks for all the ideas so far! Keep them coming if there are anymore... although I'm sure they are getting bare.

tjones1
Actually, I have one more:
Go to any full-line camping equipment store, and you should be able to find additional "sliders" like those used to adjust the straps [they are a flat buckle with three bars separated by two narrow openings] put additional sliders on each strap to hold down the "tail" of each strap.