The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Softball (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/)
-   -   NFHS Equipment Inspections (https://forum.officiating.com/softball/102494-nfhs-equipment-inspections.html)

CecilOne Wed Mar 29, 2017 05:31pm

NFHS Equipment Inspections

Please comment regarding NFHS only:

Rule 3 Section 2 Art 15 states: "ALL EQUIPMENT SHALL BE INSPECTED BY THE UMPIRE, AND IS TO BE PLACED OUTSIDE THE DUGOUT/BENCH PRIOR TO THE START OF THE GAME."

​This mean ALL bats and helmets. Many of the girls have more than one bat. Some may leave them in their equipment bag in plain sight in their bench/dugout area. They must place them outside the dugout to be inspected or they will be removed from the dugout and placed where they cannot be accessed during the game. Do NOT let them tell you, "Oh, I'm not using that bat." Do not let them keep them in the dugout.

​It's simple: if their bat is a legal bat, then there should be no issue with them placing them outside the dugout even if they don't plan on using it that particular game. If they are illegal, then the umpire must remove the bat and have it secured so it can't be accessed during the game. It can be returned to them following the conclusion of the game.

​If they don't comply with your first request, it's a team warning. If they don't comply on your 2nd request, then the head coach will be restricted to the dugout - and yes - that means he/she will be restricted before the game has even started. (of course, allow the coach to attend the plate meeting!)

Umpire@1 Wed Mar 29, 2017 08:56pm

That is pretty well the way I understand it. Have work 5 games so far, and it has not been an issue.

Insane Blue Wed Mar 29, 2017 09:06pm

Here in my area we have an Email chain going that tells all of our members what bats and equipment was removed for non-Compliance with NFHS rules.

I'm sure you will believe the coach that say's his players bat has never been removed by any other umpire :eek: right. LOL

When the coach is informed that the bat was removed from game such and such they are like :confused: :( :mad: an we tell them it will be removed from every game.

3afan Thu Mar 30, 2017 06:49am

I'm going to check the bats that were put out, then ask the coaches at the pregame if players are properly equipped. Thats it.

MD Longhorn Thu Mar 30, 2017 09:03am

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3afan (Post 1003865)
I'm going to check the bats that were put out, then ask the coaches at the pregame if players are properly equipped. Thats it.

Way to avoid doing your job. Good luck not getting caught.

BretMan Thu Mar 30, 2017 09:13am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 1003874)

It's my job to inspect the equipment. It's the coach's job to make sure it's all placed outside the dugout.

But that aside, what method do you suggest to insure that there are no hidden bats somewhere in the dugout?

MD Longhorn Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:15am

What's your method for complying with our instructions to "remove them from the dugout" if they don't put them out for us?

I admit that if someone's actively hiding something, I'm unlikely to see it ... but if it's in the dugout, it needs to be brought out for inspection.

jwwashburn Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:50pm

It is a remarkably stupid requirement for us to "Inspect" the equipment. I think it places undue liability on the umpires. How are we qualified? I can look at a bat list, but I am not going to memorize it.

I do what I am supposed to do-everything outside, etc.

However, I am of the opinion that this should be 100% on the coaches.

youngump Thu Mar 30, 2017 02:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CecilOne (Post 1003821)
Please comment regarding NFHS only:

Rule 3 Section 2 Art 15 states: "ALL EQUIPMENT SHALL BE INSPECTED BY THE UMPIRE, AND IS TO BE PLACED OUTSIDE THE DUGOUT/BENCH PRIOR TO THE START OF THE GAME."

​This mean ALL bats and helmets. Many of the girls have more than one bat. Some may leave them in their equipment bag in plain sight in their bench/dugout area. They must place them outside the dugout to be inspected or they will be removed from the dugout and placed where they cannot be accessed during the game. Do NOT let them tell you, "Oh, I'm not using that bat." Do not let them keep them in the dugout.

Even if the equipment is illegal (and not just uninspected), by what rule are you going to confiscate it and secure it for the duration of the contest.

Quote:

​If they don't comply with your first request, it's a team warning. If they don't comply on your 2nd request, then the head coach will be restricted to the dugout - and yes - that means he/she will be restricted before the game has even started. (of course, allow the coach to attend the plate meeting!)
I'm skeptical about this too. By rule, the only way you have this option available to you is that you've ruled this either failure to remove illegal equipment (which I thought meant take it out of the game not dugout) or to rule this minor unsporting conduct. I don't think it's unsporting conduct but if it is it seems serious enough that telling him to go sit by the illegal equipment seems off.

Finally, I don't see how he can attend the plate meeting, you restricted him to the dugout. :D

3afan Thu Mar 30, 2017 02:28pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 1003874)

"getting caught"? teams are REQUIRED to put equip outside the dugout ... we inspect it with the assumption that what they are planning on using is there to be inspected ... we ask the coaches if teams are properly equipped ... job done.

3afan Thu Mar 30, 2017 02:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jwwashburn (Post 1003886)
It is a remarkably stupid requirement for us to "Inspect" the equipment. I think it places undue liability on the umpires. How are we qualified? I can look at a bat list, but I am not going to memorize it.

I do what I am supposed to do-everything outside, etc.

However, I am of the opinion that this should be 100% on the coaches.

well said ...

CecilOne Thu Mar 30, 2017 03:52pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by youngump (Post 1003887)
Even if the equipment is illegal (and not just uninspected), by what rule are you going to confiscate it and secure it for the duration of the contest.

I'm skeptical about this too. By rule, the only way you have this option available to you is that you've ruled this either failure to remove illegal equipment (which I thought meant take it out of the game not dugout) or to rule this minor unsporting conduct. I don't think it's unsporting conduct but if it is it seems serious enough that telling him to go sit by the illegal equipment seems off.

Finally, I don't see how he can attend the plate meeting, you restricted him to the dugout. :D

Not my rules, something I read. Someone might be applying college rules to high school.

dlsumpntx Thu Mar 30, 2017 04:35pm

Wait, so this (removing bats from the dugout for NFHS) is an assumption based on "something you read"?

youngump Thu Mar 30, 2017 05:29pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlsumpntx (Post 1003894)
Wait, so this (removing bats from the dugout for NFHS) is an assumption based on "something you read"?

I believe that Cecil was posting what he read to get our take on whether it was right. In my opinion, it isn't a very justifiable interpretation. (And I agree this is NCAA thinking leaking in).

IRISHMAFIA Thu Mar 30, 2017 09:32pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 1003880)
What's your method for complying with our instructions to "remove them from the dugout" if they don't put them out for us?

I admit that if someone's actively hiding something, I'm unlikely to see it ... but if it's in the dugout, it needs to be brought out for inspection.

I'm pretty sure the idea was to keep the umpire out of the dugout and equipment bags.