The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Mar 30, 2017, 10:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
I'm pretty sure the idea was to keep the umpire out of the dugout and equipment bags.
As a bemused baseball umpire, with no responsibility to inspect anything, why, based upon the rule wording, do you have to wait untill everything is put outside before you inspect? Maybe a caseplay makes that clear but otherwise it is not.
Old Thu Mar 30, 2017, 10:15pm
Call it as I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
As a bemused baseball umpire, with no responsibility to inspect anything, why, based upon the rule wording, do you have to wait untill everything is put outside before you inspect? Maybe a caseplay makes that clear but otherwise it is not.
Basically they do not want male umpires inside the dugout with female players.
Old Thu Mar 30, 2017, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Blue View Post
Basically they do not want male umpires inside the dugout with female players.
Why don't they say that? Why should female umpires have to wait for the equipment to be put outside?
Old Thu Mar 30, 2017, 11:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3afan View Post
I'm going to check the bats that were put out, then ask the coaches at the pregame if players are properly equipped. Thats it.
Hope that works out for you. In my area, you wouldn't be assigned many games when word got out, you only do half your job.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2017, 06:58am
Official Forum Member

If I'm checking equipment and see a bat or helmet in the dugout, I'm just going to point it out and say, "I think you forgot one".

I can't imagine anyone refusing to get the piece of equipment and set it out. On the oddball chance that they did refuse, then we can start thinking about warnings/restrictions/ejections...but I really can't picture it ever getting to that point.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2017, 09:13am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngump View Post
I believe that Cecil was posting what he read to get our take on whether it was right. .
Good read, sir!
Old Fri Mar 31, 2017, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
Why don't they say that? Why should female umpires have to wait for the equipment to be put outside?
Not a gender issue as much as logistics, time wasted, fraternization, perception of others, and just getting it right.
Old Fri Mar 31, 2017, 02:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpire@1 View Post
Hope that works out for you. In my area, you wouldn't be assigned many games when word got out, you only do half your job.
teams are REQUIRED to put equip outside the dugout ... we inspect it with the assumption that what they are planning on using is there to be inspected ... we ask the coaches if teams are properly equipped ... job done.
Old Sat Apr 01, 2017, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umpire@1 View Post
Then, IMO, your area has OOOs.

From the NFHS comments on 201 rule changes:
Quote:
3-2-15 NEW - All equipment to be inspected by the umpire shall be placed outside the dugout/bench prior to the start of the game. Umpires will no longer have to enter the dugout/bench while players and coaches are warming up before the game.
Old Sat Apr 01, 2017, 04:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
Then, IMO, your area has OOOs.

From the NFHS comments on 201 rule changes:

I was just getting ready to post the same things. Well done. Seems you always beat me to it, even when we both take off massive amounts of time from the forum!

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sat Apr 01, 2017, 05:41pm
Official Forum Member

Well, at least I woke up the two of you.

That rule wording does say "to be inspected" as if there is a choice about which equipment. And 10-2-3 just say "Inspect equipment" w/o specifics.
Does that imply selectivity by the teams? I didn't find any interp or clarification.
Old Sat Apr 01, 2017, 10:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi View Post
I was just getting ready to post the same things. Well done. Seems you always beat me to it, even when we both take off massive amounts of time from the forum!
Ha ha... Cecil woke me up in the nick of time!
Old Tue Apr 11, 2017, 03:12pm
Stirrer of the Pot

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
That rule wording does say "to be inspected" as if there is a choice about which equipment. And 10-2-3 just say "Inspect equipment" w/o specifics.
Does that imply selectivity by the teams? I didn't find any interp or clarification.
Sorry I'm late for this party, but it seems pretty clear in 10-2-3a that the minimum requirement for equipment inspections is spelled out right there, where it says "including batting and catcher's helmets, [and] bats."

I suppose one could include everything that is listed in Rule 1 of the book that is not specific to the field. That would include gloves, mitts, catcher's protective equipment, and fielder's face masks. There's also Rule 3-2-11 that says shoes are required equipment. I would never go that far, but if one wanted to, there's really nothing that precludes the inspection of all those items.

As far as the extra gear I happen to see in the dugout, which is almost always invariably bats that are sticking out of bat bags, I tell the coach those need to be put out as well. I can't recall anyone giving me grief about it. But if they do, then, yes, I would say that we are within our authority to warn and then restrict for failing to respond to my request. IMO, I can use 3-6-1, and claim that until I inspect those bats, I will consider them illegal, and that if the coach doesn't allow for them to be removed or made legal (by allowing me to inspect them), then the Penalty allows me to warn and eventually restrict to the bench. I can't imagine a coach would take it that far.
"Let's face it. Umpiring is not an easy or happy way to make a living. In the abuse they suffer, and the pay they get for it, you see an imbalance that can only be explained by their need to stay close to a game they can't resist." -- Bob Uecker
Old Tue Apr 11, 2017, 11:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny A View Post
...IMO, I can use 3-6-1, and claim that until I inspect those bats, I will consider them illegal, and that if the coach doesn't allow for them to be removed or made legal (by allowing me to inspect them), then the Penalty allows me to warn and eventually restrict to the bench. I can't imagine a coach would take it that far.
I can't imagine a coach would take it that far, either, but that does not mean you are not overstepping your authority.

You reference 3-6-1, well, that rule says, in part, "Team personnel shall wear or use legal and/or required equipment."

Wear or use

It does not say anything about hanging in a bag in the dugout, nor does it say that all equipment not intended to be used in the game must be kept out of sight.
Old Wed Apr 12, 2017, 04:29am
Official Forum Member

This came up last weekend...

Doing equipment inspection and see a half dozen bats in the dugout.

Me: Coach, you need to get all of your bats out here.

Coach: We only put the bats we use out here.

Me: (Pointing to bats in dugout) If I can see it, then we have to inspect it.

Coach gets the other bats...

I'm about a dozen games into the high school season and, so far, I have heard some variation of this phrase from three or four of my partners: "We're not allowed to go into the dugouts anymore".

The rule says that the umpires aren't "required" to go into the dugouts to check equipment. Somehow that's getting translated into "dugouts verboten!". I haven't seen anything that makes a dugout off limits to us.