The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 06, 2016, 11:52pm
Official Forum Member

ASA Men's C Div. Live Ball Question

I have been an ASA Umpire for more than 20 years and in all my time of playing and umpiring, I have never seen what happened in a game I called over Labor Day weekend. ASA Rules, live ball with stealing allowed. Runner on second base, pitcher throws a pitch which was a strike. (ball still live). Catcher returns ball to pitcher and overthrows pitcher. Instead of running, the runner on second base steps off his base and picks up the ball and throws it back to the pitcher. OK, what is the call? Just a dead ball when touched? Or is the runner out for coming off his base and touching a live ball? Or something else? I don't know the answer and cannot find it addressed at all in the ASA rules book. Help please.
Old Wed Sep 07, 2016, 03:06am
Official Forum Member

No one else on base? No possible play? That means no INT. Dead ball - move on with life. Dumb move runner but nothing else.

I don't work SP, I could be 100% wrong here. Like you, I don't see anything specific in the book on this.
Old Wed Sep 07, 2016, 09:44am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Any possible play/out on that runner?
Old Wed Sep 07, 2016, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HonoUmp View Post
I have been an ASA Umpire for more than 20 years and in all my time of playing and umpiring, I have never seen what happened in a game I called over Labor Day weekend. ASA Rules, live ball with stealing allowed. Runner on second base, pitcher throws a pitch which was a strike. (ball still live). Catcher returns ball to pitcher and overthrows pitcher. Instead of running, the runner on second base steps off his base and picks up the ball and throws it back to the pitcher. OK, what is the call? Just a dead ball when touched? Or is the runner out for coming off his base and touching a live ball? Or something else? I don't know the answer and cannot find it addressed at all in the ASA rules book. Help please.
So, you cannot find this addressed in the rule book. So the next step is to consider what IS an actual rule.

A runner is out when the runner is tagged with a live ball in possession of a defensive player when off the base. That didn't happen.

A runner is out when the runner interferes (paraphrase here) with a play, defined as an attempt to make an out. That didn't happen.

Nothing in the category of "A Runner is Out When" has occurred. Therefore, one should conclude that the runner is not out.

What does apply? Blocked ball (albeit not exactly in that definition). Dead ball; move on.
Old Wed Sep 07, 2016, 01:43pm
Official Forum Member

Been away from ASA slo-pitch for years now. Never knew about any games where base stealing was allowed. The base runner sure was a "good sport" for not just throwing it into the outfield and scoring.
Old Wed Sep 07, 2016, 03:20pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLguy View Post
Been away from ASA slo-pitch for years now. Never knew about any games where base stealing was allowed. The base runner sure was a "good sport" for not just throwing it into the outfield and scoring.
"good sport" or ... (knew about any games where base stealing was allowed)
Old Wed Sep 07, 2016, 06:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFLguy View Post
Or pull "the ol' hidden ball trick" by tucking it under his jersey.
Old Wed Sep 07, 2016, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
What does apply? Blocked ball (albeit not exactly in that definition). Dead ball; move on.
^^^ This
Old Tue Sep 13, 2016, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Answer is above. I'll add this...

A little surprised that an ump of 20 years never saw this happen ... but I suppose it's possible if that ump never enjoyed some low level 10U or even 12U ball. I bet it happens once a year in most leagues at that level.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 13, 2016, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Answer is above. I'll add this...

A little surprised that an ump of 20 years never saw this happen ... but I suppose it's possible if that ump never enjoyed some low level 10U or even 12U ball. I bet it happens once a year in most leagues at that level.
Hell, I've seen things like this in JV games this past spring. Never assume a player/coach/game participant will do what you expect.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2016, 01:43am
Official Forum Member

Not only have i seen it but it happened to me. Years ago while coaching 10U rec, a ball got past the pitcher. My runner on 2B stepped off the bag, picked up the ball and handed it to the SS. SS took the ball and tagged my girl out. Easy-peasy.
Old Wed Sep 14, 2016, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephrt1 View Post
Not only have i seen it but it happened to me. Years ago while coaching 10U rec, a ball got past the pitcher. My runner on 2B stepped off the bag, picked up the ball and handed it to the SS. SS took the ball and tagged my girl out. Easy-peasy.
Well, that cannot happen, but it just goes to show nice guys finish last.......or is that no good deed goes unpunished?
Old Wed Sep 14, 2016, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by josephrt1 View Post
Well ... your girl wasn't out.

West Houston Mike