The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 12, 2016, 12:53am
Official Forum Member

Interesting Plays

We just finished our rec league play, tonight actually, for the league I serve as Commissioner for and umpire in.

I had two plays at the plate during tourney games that were rather interesting. Both in 11U, which is 9,10 and 11 year olds

Play 1 - Runner slides into home while attempting to score on a passed ball. She has her lead foot toes straight up.

Pitcher is covering and drops the tag down on the bottom of the runner's foot.

The runner slid a little early and comes to stop right as the tag hits her foot.

Initially, she looks short of the plate, but her heel is resting on the black.

I'll leave it a mystery, for now, what I called.

We play NFHS, except for a few local rec exemptions that don't pertain to the call.

Play 2 - Catcher makes a tag on a runner at home. Right after the tag is applied she makes some movements that lead me to think the impact of the slide into her glove might have moved the ball and she's fighting to keep control and not lose it.

I say something like "Show me the ball. I need to see you have it". She never actually shows me the ball, but her glove is closed, off hand on top and she holds them up in the air.

Obviously, she has the ball and has it controlled. I call the runner out.

Third base coach starts yelling, when I ask him what he wants, he points to second.

During the call at home, the batter/runner had gone to second base.

Her initial hit had been bobbled by the SS, which caused the runner on third to break and the throw to go there.

After talking to my partner between innings. turns out she never even hesitated. Base coach was waving her to second as soon as he saw the throw was going home.

Once I told the coach I had to make sure the catcher had the ball and I can't call time on live ball, he calms down right away, seems to realize what I'm getting at.

Fans are just going nuts.

The whole thing was silly.

The catcher wound up, more or less, sitting/lying on the runner from the impact of the slide and dropping down to tag her. On no known planet was she going to get up and throw the girl out at second, let alone from the ground

I put my mask back on and start to get in position for the next pitch and it still sounds like World War Three in the stands, banging on the bleachers and carrying on, even after they all heard my explanation.

Normally, I go about my business, but this is one those teams that every rec league has. The one all the other teams complain about the fans. The one I can't get any of my umps to work their games. The one where their own fans segregate from the one or two who cause problems, etc.

There had been some close plays already and it';s one of those times you can see it starting to get out of control, if you let it go.

I decide I'm going to nip it in the bud, right there.

I take off my mask, turn part way around, but not fully and don't make eye contact with anyone. I just speaking in general to no one and everyone, at the same time.

I say everyone needs to calm down, that the runner is out, had to see the ball, can't call time, etc.

I go back to the plate and I hear a lady tell the girls good job, he just needed to see the ball and I think "cool", somebody gets it.

Then, some guy yells "good play, bad call". It's clear from the tone, he's trying to show me up.

I'm thinking "really". I think about turning back around, but had no idea who said it, so I just acted like I never heard it.

After the game, I had, at least, 6 or 7 people stop me and thank me for doing that and not letting the circus get out of hand.

The funny thing was, probably all but two of them were from the team that was complaining

One even told me good job and apologized on behalf of his aunt, who must have been the lady I heard kind of start it all. She'd also been really loud on some balls and strikes throughout the game.

To top it off, I asked the catcher, who I knew a little bit, if she understood why I asked her to show me the ball. She said "yeah" in a way like she wanted to say "I know more than those idiots who were yelling at you"

Sometimes the kids get it, even when the parents don't.
Old Tue Jul 12, 2016, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrigleywannabe View Post

Third base coach starts yelling, when I ask him what he wants, he points to second.

Her initial hit had been bobbled by the SS, which caused the runner on third to break and the throw to go there.

After talking to my partner between innings. turns out she never even hesitated. Base coach was waving her to second as soon as he saw the throw was going home.

Once I told the coach I had to make sure the catcher had the ball and I can't call time on live ball, he calms down right away, seems to realize what I'm getting at.
I don't get the issue. BR/R going to 2nd is clearly what she should do.
What does "never hesitated" have to do with it?
Why would a coach want time out then?
Old Tue Jul 12, 2016, 08:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Wrong tense, that happened before they arrived.
Old Tue Jul 12, 2016, 09:39am
Official Forum Member

Play one is an out. The black is not part of the plate. You can prove this by looking up the width od the plate and measuring the white part.
Old Tue Jul 12, 2016, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Not to be an ass or anything.....but was there a question in there somewhere?
Old Wed Jul 13, 2016, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
Wrong tense, that happened before they arrived.
Amen
Old Wed Jul 13, 2016, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't get the issue. BR/R going to 2nd is clearly what she should do.
What does "never hesitated" have to do with it?
Why would a coach want time out then?

I was just trying to point out how easily she was going to get to second.

I'm not sure if he really wanted time. I was at a loss as to what he really wanted me to do..honestly
Old Thu Jul 14, 2016, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
We just finished our rec league play, tonight actually, for the league I serve as Commissioner for and umpire in.

I had two plays at the plate during tourney games that were rather interesting. Both in 11U, which is 9,10 and 11 year olds

Play 1 - Runner slides into home while attempting to score on a passed ball. She has her lead foot toes straight up.

Pitcher is covering and drops the tag down on the bottom of the runner's foot.

The runner slid a little early and comes to stop right as the tag hits her foot.

Initially, she looks short of the plate, but her heel is resting on the black.

I'll leave it a mystery, for now, what I called.

We play NFHS, except for a few local rec exemptions that don't pertain to the call.

Play 2 - Catcher makes a tag on a runner at home. Right after the tag is applied she makes some movements that lead me to think the impact of the slide into her glove might have moved the ball and she's fighting to keep control and not lose it.

I say something like "Show me the ball. I need to see you have it". She never actually shows me the ball, but her glove is closed, off hand on top and she holds them up in the air.

The whole thing was silly.

The catcher wound up, more or less, sitting/lying on the runner from the impact of the slide and dropping down to tag her. On no known planet was she going to get up and throw the girl out at second, let alone from the ground

I put my mask back on and start to get in position for the next pitch and it still sounds like World War Three in the stands, banging on the bleachers and carrying on, even after they all heard my explanation.

Normally, I go about my business, but this is one those teams that every rec league has. The one all the other teams complain about the fans. The one I can't get any of my umps to work their games. The one where their own fans segregate from the one or two who cause problems, etc.

There had been some close plays already and it';s one of those times you can see it starting to get out of control, if you let it go.

I decide I'm going to nip it in the bud, right there.

I take off my mask, turn part way around, but not fully and don't make eye contact with anyone. I just speaking in general to no one and everyone, at the same time.

I say everyone needs to calm down, that the runner is out, had to see the ball, can't call time, etc.

I go back to the plate and I hear a lady tell the girls good job, he just needed to see the ball and I think "cool", somebody gets it.

Then, some guy yells "good play, bad call". It's clear from the tone, he's trying to show me up.

I'm thinking "really". I think about turning back around, but had no idea who said it, so I just acted like I never heard it.

After the game, I had, at least, 6 or 7 people stop me and thank me for doing that and not letting the circus get out of hand.

The funny thing was, probably all but two of them were from the team that was complaining

One even told me good job and apologized on behalf of his aunt, who must have been the lady I heard kind of start it all. She'd also been really loud on some balls and strikes throughout the game.

To top it off, I asked the catcher, who I knew a little bit, if she understood why I asked her to show me the ball. She said "yeah" in a way like she wanted to say "I know more than those idiots who were yelling at you"

Sometimes the kids get it, even when the parents don't.
Your plates / fields must be better than the ones I am working on. To see she is only on the black (but not on the white) would be impossible without a very close up visual inspection on my fields. Even when trying to keep the black of the plate clean, on a slide at the plate I would have dust moved across in front of her foot, making the play very difficult to call (black or white of the plate).
Old Thu Jul 14, 2016, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chapmaja View Post
Your plates / fields must be better than the ones I am working on. To see she is only on the black (but not on the white) would be impossible without a very close up visual inspection on my fields. Even when trying to keep the black of the plate clean, on a slide at the plate I would have dust moved across in front of her foot, making the play very difficult to call (black or white of the plate).
So, never guess an out ??
Old Thu Jul 14, 2016, 04:40pm
Official Forum Member

No one asked ... so I will.

Why is the third base coach (an offensive coach) upset that the baserunner (an offensive player) got an extra base?

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Jul 14, 2016, 05:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He already said she only touched the black. Given that, it's an out.
Old Thu Jul 14, 2016, 11:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So, never guess an out ??
It will take a close inspection. Not a problem for me making the call, but if I call her out for only touching the black, you can bet the umpires in the stands (all of whom have a much better view than I do (often directly though my back as well).

The loudest, most annoying, fan I had all season this year (who ended up getting his walking papers) was swearing about a call at the plate that he had absolutely no ability to see because my large behind was directly in line with where he was and the play at the plate. (Very similar to the OP play). If he had any view of the play he had X-ray vision. He had no problem voicing his opinion which got him a request to exit the facility from the campus police.
Old Fri Jul 15, 2016, 07:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It will take a close inspection. Not a problem for me making the call, but if I call her out for only touching the black, you can bet the umpires in the stands (all of whom have a much better view than I do (often directly though my back as well).

The loudest, most annoying, fan I had all season this year (who ended up getting his walking papers) was swearing about a call at the plate that he had absolutely no ability to see because my large behind was directly in line with where he was and the play at the plate. (Very similar to the OP play). If he had any view of the play he had X-ray vision. He had no problem voicing his opinion which got him a request to exit the facility from the campus police.
Well, if it makes you feel any better, in ASA touching the black is same as touching the plate
Old Fri Jul 15, 2016, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Well, if it makes you feel any better, in ASA touching the black is same as touching the plate
Kinda the reverse of the "hands are part of the bat" argument?
Old Fri Jul 15, 2016, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
To those wondering how that statement is reconciled with the prior statement regarding the actual width (measurement) of the plate, I offer the following explanation.

The bases (bags) are also a defined width; 15" square. But that (square) is a two-dimensional object, while the base has sides (ie, a height). If a runner is in contact with the side of a base, we consider that "on" the base, right?

Home plate has an edge (in black), which also can/should be considered a side to the plate. It is, partially, by the nature of the flare; it is not, partially, as it also extends beyond the stated dimension. Since there can be zero consistency in determining which part is side, which part is an extension, it is for consistency sake that the black be considered the side, and a runner touching ANY PART of the physical object is to be considered to be touching the plate.

Paraphrased, again from the prior ASA NUS regime leaders, HP and MB.