The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Apr 08, 2016, 09:34am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
game management strategies

A coach comes out to insist on an incorrect rule. After explaining the rule correctly, coach still insists on the wrong one. Inform the coach that we've talked enough and time to continue play. No cause for ejection ever occurs.
Do you ever ask for the coach's rule book to prove it, or just continue (with some whining)?
Old Fri Apr 08, 2016, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Im not going to run an on field rules clinic for a coach. If he wishes to have it shown to him in the rule book after the game I will be more than happy to do so, but not during the game. If he feels so strongly he is right, all he has to do is say the word protest.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2016, 09:53am
High Five Master

Sounds like a protest situation. Advise him of same, start the imaginary clock and go from there. If coach insists he is not protesting, which one would then assume he is just bitching, advise him you have discussed it and it's over. On next word, restrict to dugout. After that, buh bye.

If he is right, this gives him a chance to prove it and get some form of relief from the incorrect ruling. If he isn't and knows as much, it will shut him up.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2016, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
A coach comes out to insist on an incorrect rule. After explaining the rule correctly, coach still insists on the wrong one. Inform the coach that we've talked enough and time to continue play. No cause for ejection ever occurs.
Do you ever ask for the coach's rule book to prove it, or just continue (with some whining)?
In codes/games that allow protest, encourage the coach to protest.

Case in point: the first year that ASA allowed CR's in Men's fast pitch, offensive request CR for the catcher. DC says they can't, saying they weren't allowed to in a tournament earlier in the year. My response was: "it is allowed; either we can continue playing OR you can protest." He did protest, UIC verified the rule, game continued. Took about 4 minutes. The coach came up to me latter in the game and thanked me for handling the situation the way I did. Took less time, a lot less yelling, and everyone stayed in the game.

Coaches don't understand how important protests are to the game.

However, my high school association does not allow protests, therefore the situation must be handled differently. I have zero problems with a coach who, in a professional manner, wants to review the rule book with me. I've had it happen twice, and my response both times were "look at the previous/next page" (one was unreported subs, the other was the pitching rule).
Old Fri Apr 08, 2016, 10:12am
Official Forum Member

I may have missed which rule set being discussed, but NCAA requires an effort to resolve with the rule book before a protest; and I actually like that. Once you can show a coach he/she is wrong, it moves along without ongoing whining. And if the umpires are wrong, it gets it fixed many more times than not.

GHSA (our Georgia High School Association) doesn't allow protests; the bad news is that too many games have bad rulings enforced by umpires that simply don't know the rules. I wish there was the same process of requiring a resolution by the book; it would fix some of the bad results, and force more rules knowledge and accountability by those umpires.

Whatever can put it to rest easiest with the right final ruling should be allowed, IMO.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2016, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
...GHSA (our Georgia High School Association) doesn't allow protests; the bad news is that too many games have bad rulings enforced by umpires that simply don't know the rules. I wish there was the same process of requiring a resolution by the book; it would fix some of the bad results, and force more rules knowledge and accountability by those umpires...
But what about the situation where neither the umpire nor the coach knows where the rule is in the book?
Old Fri Apr 08, 2016, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
GHSA (our Georgia High School Association) doesn't allow protests; the bad news is that too many games have bad rulings enforced by umpires that simply don't know the rules. I wish there was the same process of requiring a resolution by the book; it would fix some of the bad results, and force more rules knowledge and accountability by those umpires.
I started this for a HS situation, but hoped it was generic enough for good advice and I was right (except Tom ).

In the no protest games, would you do the same thing as NCAA anyway?
Old Fri Apr 08, 2016, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
I started this for a HS situation, but hoped it was generic enough for good advice and I was right (except Tom ).

In the no protest games, would you do the same thing as NCAA anyway?
Actually, Tom raises a good point. And being under the gun in the middle of the field certainly doesn't help, especially for those who don't use the rule book regularly
Old Fri Apr 08, 2016, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA View Post
Actually, Tom raises a good point. And being under the gun in the middle of the field certainly doesn't help, especially for those who don't use the rule book regularly
One thing that may help is if you do decide to go this route, ask the coach what he/she read in the rule book that makes him/her think that. Have him/her point out the rule in question, rather than indulging in an open-ended "Show me" fishing expedition. After all, the coach is the one disputing it, let him/her have the burden of proof.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2016, 02:34pm
High Five Master

game management strategies

Missouri state adoption is that protests are allowed but must be handled on field. MSHSSA will not review or rule on any game protest and results of games cannot be protested. It must be handled on field
Old Fri Apr 08, 2016, 05:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Actually, Tom raises a good point.
And Tom and I are capable of friendly banter.

Quote:
And being under the gun in the middle of the field certainly doesn't help, especially for those who don't use the rule book regularly
I wouldn't know.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2016, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

OK, now that we have a basis, here is the real problem.
Partner agrees with the erroneous coach and also continues to insist on the wrong rule.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2016, 06:47pm
Official Forum Member

is partneralso discussing rule with coach?

Last edited by RKBUmp; Fri Apr 08, 2016 at 06:55pm.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2016, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
is partneralso discussing rule with coach?
Yes, openly.
Old Fri Apr 08, 2016, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

Time to have a little chat with partner and assignor. Had one a few years ago who went running over to a coach between innings and told him I did something wrong. Walk to cars after game was not pleasant, told him he was dead wrong both on his rule interpretation and in discussing it with the coach. Told him he needed to call our umpire coordinator and discuss it with him.