View Single Post
Old Fri Apr 08, 2016, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CecilOne View Post
A coach comes out to insist on an incorrect rule. After explaining the rule correctly, coach still insists on the wrong one. Inform the coach that we've talked enough and time to continue play. No cause for ejection ever occurs.
Do you ever ask for the coach's rule book to prove it, or just continue (with some whining)?
In codes/games that allow protest, encourage the coach to protest.

Case in point: the first year that ASA allowed CR's in Men's fast pitch, offensive request CR for the catcher. DC says they can't, saying they weren't allowed to in a tournament earlier in the year. My response was: "it is allowed; either we can continue playing OR you can protest." He did protest, UIC verified the rule, game continued. Took about 4 minutes. The coach came up to me latter in the game and thanked me for handling the situation the way I did. Took less time, a lot less yelling, and everyone stayed in the game.

Coaches don't understand how important protests are to the game.

However, my high school association does not allow protests, therefore the situation must be handled differently. I have zero problems with a coach who, in a professional manner, wants to review the rule book with me. I've had it happen twice, and my response both times were "look at the previous/next page" (one was unreported subs, the other was the pitching rule).