The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 07:29am
Official Forum Member

Men's league playing NCAA Rules. 12 Minute halves using stop clock. No shot-clock.

As a crew, we tend to let them play a lil' more physical and use adv/disadv. Usually very little complaining. Well this night 2 man crew, during the first half players are whining about not getting fouls called, the fouls that were called etc...You know what I'm talking about. First half foul count was
10-8. During the 2nd half, continued whining. I say whining because a complaint IMO would assume you knew what you were talking about, which most of these players don't. Final game scores of 28-23 should tell ya somethin.

So with about 4:50 left in the game, ironically we are at the free throw line shooting 2. Foul count is 4-3. Partner is L administering free throws. I walk into the lane and beckon my P over to the middle of the lane. I say loud enough for players to hear, "P, they all seem to want more fouls called, lets giv'em to'em. (P nods in agreement with a smile on his face) From now on guys, we're callin everything".

Players looked at us with that deer in the headlights look, and smiled as though they were thinking, oh oh what did we do.

Last 4 minutes took 35 minutes to play. Not one complaint. Players would just smile and hand us the ball. Lots of legit hand check and blocking fouls, illegal dribbles etc. I even issued a T for a player eyeballing me asking loudly, if he could get a foul. I said, "Oh is that what you want, here's one for ya", BANG! Total foul count 2nd half was 16-15.

Your thoughts?

More T's?

More fouls?

Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 07:44am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally posted by thumpferee
Your thoughts?
Maybe you need a vacation from that league?
mick
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 08:21am
Huck Finn

My thoughts are it would be great if players and coaches were educated on how we manage a game. People need to come to the realization that we cannot let them play on defense and be tight on their offense. It is not realistic or consistent. I think you just gave them what they asked for.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Hopefully that was the last game of the night because your court is now way behind on time. I'd say you showed em good.
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Probably the same teams that have difficulty adjusting to different zone defenses!

Whatever happened to teams that were able to adjust to the officiating? Oh, yeah, they're still around - they're the GOOD teams with GOOD coaches! I like your style.

As with officiating and players, too, attitude is everything.

Hang in there and try the Carribean for that vacation!
Old Mon Jan 31, 2005, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Was last game. Game started at 8:00, first half was over at 8:17. 2nd half started at 8:20, was over at 8:55. I made sure to take note of it.

And you may be right Mick!