The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 03, 2014, 08:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
How can you stop him? The ball was fielded in fair ground and thrown to him, so it should be in play. He's allowed to throw a ball in play toward the plate, isn't he? Do you just blurt out, "Fools, the ball is in play!"?
Eventually someone's going to notice the plate umpire standing off to the side with his mask off pointing into fair territory and do something about it.
Old Fri Jan 03, 2014, 09:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
How can you stop him? The ball was fielded in fair ground and thrown to him, so it should be in play. He's allowed to throw a ball in play toward the plate, isn't he? Do you just blurt out, "Fools, the ball is in play!"?
Stand between the plate and the mound.

And, yes, if the players are that clueless, an oral declaration to both sides that it's still a live ball is a possibility.

Frankly, if you let the pitcher get anywhere near the mound, then you're turning an interesting / unusual situation into something approaching Calvinball.
Old Fri Jan 03, 2014, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Stand between the plate and the mound.
Ugh - no. Stand in foul ground, mask off, pointing fair.

Quote:
And, yes, if the players are that clueless, an oral declaration to both sides that it's still a live ball is a possibility.
Please, anyone reading this - don't ever do that.

Quote:
Frankly, if you let the pitcher get anywhere near the mound, then you're turning an interesting / unusual situation into something approaching Calvinball.
I'm not following this one. How would the umpire prevent any player from being wherever they want on the field? There's no way to prevent the pitcher from going to the mound/pitching circle ... especially given that he/she started there and very possibly never left.

On this play, simply get out from behind and point fair. Anyone who has worked lower levels has had this exact situation happen numerous times. SOMEONE eventually gets it. Pitchers who retrieve the ball aren't likely to pitch without the umpire back there... if the coach hasn't started yelling either "RUN!!!" or "THROW IT TO FIRST!!!" by this point, the pitcher might be the first one to figure it out. Hmmm.. why don't I see an umpire? Oh, there he is. Oh, he's pointing fair....

If, in some bizarro world TWP (which, in 21 years, I've never either seen happen or heard of happening from any of my umpires) the fielder retrieves the ball, gets back on the mound (or PC), and throws the ball again toward the catcher and the batter-runner, still with bat in hand, hits it - THEN we have interference on that BR, and can apply the proper rules.

DO NOT SAY FAIR. DO NOT STAND ON THE FIELD. DO NOT PREVENT THE PITCHER FROM GOING WHEREVER THEY WANT.

Rant off.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Jan 03, 2014, 10:00am
Official Forum Member

All that baseball/softball stuff said... I had a strange one several years ago in football where no one knew the ball was live. I think I posted it here when it happened.

8th grade team lined up for an extra point snaps the ball to the holder, who was not yet ready for it and was standing up. Defense, for whatever reason, didn't rush in. Holder caught it and went forward to hand it to the snapper again. Snapper was, luckily for him, more than a yard back and facing the snapper (i.e. away from the goal line). Snapper puts the ball back down. (As an aside, at this point I notice my LJ has left his position under the goal post and sprinted for the goal line on his side - his first year, I gave him huge kudos for game awareness there).

Nose tackle, for whatever reason, picks up the ball and acts like he wants to hand it to someone (an umpire, we guessed later), sees no one and drops the ball. It rolls into the endzone. Snapper retrieves it.

Both of my partners blew their whistles and signaled the PAT good. Made for a fun conversation with both coaches. Defensive coach insisted something must have been illegal and they shouldn't get the PAT. Offensive coach was upset because in this league, 8th graders get 2 points for kicking or passing a PAT, and 1 for rushing. He wanted the 2 for kicking, and was upset he lost the opportunity.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Jan 03, 2014, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

I stand by my comments but this is the FB board. I do agree that it's "never" going to happen except in some bizarro world.
Old Fri Jan 03, 2014, 07:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
All that baseball/softball stuff said... I had a strange one several years ago in football where no one knew the ball was live. I think I posted it here when it happened.

8th grade team lined up for an extra point snaps the ball to the holder, who was not yet ready for it and was standing up. Defense, for whatever reason, didn't rush in. Holder caught it and went forward to hand it to the snapper again. Snapper was, luckily for him, more than a yard back and facing the snapper (i.e. away from the goal line). Snapper puts the ball back down. (As an aside, at this point I notice my LJ has left his position under the goal post and sprinted for the goal line on his side - his first year, I gave him huge kudos for game awareness there).

Nose tackle, for whatever reason, picks up the ball and acts like he wants to hand it to someone (an umpire, we guessed later), sees no one and drops the ball. It rolls into the endzone. Snapper retrieves it.

Both of my partners blew their whistles and signaled the PAT good. Made for a fun conversation with both coaches. Defensive coach insisted something must have been illegal and they shouldn't get the PAT. Offensive coach was upset because in this league, 8th graders get 2 points for kicking or passing a PAT, and 1 for rushing. He wanted the 2 for kicking, and was upset he lost the opportunity.
If it was otherwise Federation rules, then his team got a gift, because the ball should've become dead when the D player picked it up.

This past season in a game I was coaching, both teams left a ball lying on the ground after a pass went backward 5 yds. I was trying to somehow shout to my players to get the ball while not letting the other team hear me. Wish I had a recording of myself trying to do that.
Old Sat Jan 04, 2014, 12:47am
Archaic Power Monger

Mike, like myself, calls under NCAA rules. Nowhere in Texas will you find football played under Federation rules.
Old Sun Jan 05, 2014, 01:37am
Official Forum Member

"Is this the right ball?"
Old Sun Jan 05, 2014, 12:00pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
"Is this the right ball?"
Objection! Relevance, Your Honor.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 12:42pm
Official Forum Member

I strenuously object!
Old Thu Jan 09, 2014, 09:14am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
I strenuously object!
Oh, if you strenuously object, I shall take some time to reconsider.