View Single Post
Old Fri Jan 03, 2014, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Stand between the plate and the mound.
Ugh - no. Stand in foul ground, mask off, pointing fair.

Quote:
And, yes, if the players are that clueless, an oral declaration to both sides that it's still a live ball is a possibility.
Please, anyone reading this - don't ever do that.

Quote:
Frankly, if you let the pitcher get anywhere near the mound, then you're turning an interesting / unusual situation into something approaching Calvinball.
I'm not following this one. How would the umpire prevent any player from being wherever they want on the field? There's no way to prevent the pitcher from going to the mound/pitching circle ... especially given that he/she started there and very possibly never left.

On this play, simply get out from behind and point fair. Anyone who has worked lower levels has had this exact situation happen numerous times. SOMEONE eventually gets it. Pitchers who retrieve the ball aren't likely to pitch without the umpire back there... if the coach hasn't started yelling either "RUN!!!" or "THROW IT TO FIRST!!!" by this point, the pitcher might be the first one to figure it out. Hmmm.. why don't I see an umpire? Oh, there he is. Oh, he's pointing fair....

If, in some bizarro world TWP (which, in 21 years, I've never either seen happen or heard of happening from any of my umpires) the fielder retrieves the ball, gets back on the mound (or PC), and throws the ball again toward the catcher and the batter-runner, still with bat in hand, hits it - THEN we have interference on that BR, and can apply the proper rules.

DO NOT SAY FAIR. DO NOT STAND ON THE FIELD. DO NOT PREVENT THE PITCHER FROM GOING WHEREVER THEY WANT.

Rant off.

West Houston Mike