Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 04, 2013, 10:07pm
Official Forum Member

Anyone got a foul?

Video: This may be the play call of the year in high school football
Old Mon Nov 04, 2013, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Nov 04, 2013, 10:22pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Possibly illegal substitution, but both receivers on that side were covered.
Old Mon Nov 04, 2013, 11:35pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Possibly illegal substitution, but both receivers on that side were covered.
Probably is an illegal substitution, as the last guy on didn't get inside the nine yd mark, but he is really close

Last edited by OKREF; Mon Nov 04, 2013 at 11:39pm.
Old Mon Nov 04, 2013, 11:37pm
TODO: creative title here

For FED rules, yeah, that's how we call it around here also... basically, if the defense sees the substitute and can get him covered, we let it go.

NCAA, you'd have to give the defense a match-up opportunity, which may or may not have caused the play clock to expire...
Old Tue Nov 05, 2013, 03:07am
Do not give a damn!!

Not in real life practice.

Peace
Old Tue Nov 05, 2013, 06:55am
Official & ***** Member

No foul. The defense obviously adjusted their coverage to account for the late sub.
Old Tue Nov 05, 2013, 10:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct1 View Post
no foul. The defense obviously adjusted their coverage to account for the late sub.
+1
Old Tue Nov 05, 2013, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

It is still illegal formation and you would call it if they didn't have 7 on the ball wouldn't you?

Never understood why this was part of Art 5
a. At the snap, at least seven A players shall be on their line of scrimmage. since the foul is illegal numbering and I think this should be illegal formation.

Last edited by bigjohn; Tue Nov 05, 2013 at 12:25pm.
Old Tue Nov 05, 2013, 01:27pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
It is still illegal formation and you would call it if they didn't have 7 on the ball wouldn't you?

Never understood why this was part of Art 5
a. At the snap, at least seven A players shall be on their line of scrimmage. since the foul is illegal numbering and I think this should be illegal formation.
This isn't an illegal formation. They have 7 on the line at the time of the snap. 5 interior lineman and the two outside receivers. I don't see any numbering issues either.
Old Tue Nov 05, 2013, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 7
SECTION 2 FORMATION/POSITION, NUMBERING AND ACTION AT THE SNAP
ART. 1 . . . After the ball is marked ready for play, each player of A who participated
in the previous down and each substitute for A must have been,
momentarily, between the 9-yard marks, before the snap.

PENALTY: Illegal formation (Arts. 1, 2, 3) – (S19); illegal snap (Art. 4) – (S7-
19); illegal numbering (Art. 5) – (S19); illegal shift (Art. 6) – (S20); illegal
motion (Art. 7) – (S20); planned loose-ball infraction (Art. 8) – (S19) – 5 yards.
Old Tue Nov 05, 2013, 02:34pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Still not going to get called unless B doesn't cover the receivers who never make it back inside the 9s.

Except maybe by overzealous new officials who don't know any better.
Old Tue Nov 05, 2013, 02:56pm
Official Forum Member

.....Or by coaches or ex-coaches who have never sat in a rules meeting or clinic and discussed this rule and why it was written.

For if they had, they would have been told countless times (as mentioned prior) if the player is covered defensively, and it's obvious that it has not created a confusion for the defense, then the spirit of this rule has not been violated and we move on.

In this play, the defender adjusts to the receiver lined up in the slot, the defender covers him and releases him when he reads the potential for a fake on the initial pitch. (he does his job and stays home momentarily)

Unfortunately, a couple of his teammates did not realize the potential for either pitch and ended up inside the hashes leaving the near side zone to the camera vacant. They over-committed to the original receiver and the rest is history.

Last edited by asdf; Tue Nov 05, 2013 at 02:59pm.
Old Tue Nov 05, 2013, 03:58pm
Official Forum Member

I see this as a requirement (inside the 9 yard mark), no different than everyone must be set for 1 full second before someone goes into motion or the ball is snapped. I notice that one is let go a good bit as well!
Old Tue Nov 05, 2013, 05:07pm
NFHS Official

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
Rule 7
SECTION 2 FORMATION/POSITION, NUMBERING AND ACTION AT THE SNAP
ART. 1 . . . After the ball is marked ready for play, each player of A who participated
in the previous down and each substitute for A must have been,
momentarily, between the 9-yard marks, before the snap.

PENALTY: Illegal formation (Arts. 1, 2, 3) – (S19); illegal snap (Art. 4) – (S7-
19); illegal numbering (Art. 5) – (S19); illegal shift (Art. 6) – (S20); illegal
motion (Art. 7) – (S20); planned loose-ball infraction (Art. 8) – (S19) – 5 yards.
If you want to pick this nit, than just blow it dead for an illegal substitution, certainly don't wait for this to be a live ball foul and wait for the score to happens to bring it back. As I said earlier he was really close to the numbers(9 yd mark).