The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Referee moving defenders

During a PAT (or any time actually) , why will the referee appear to request a defender to move to one side or the other? I saw this last night on Sunday Night Football.
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 03:30pm
Official Forum Member

The official will do this to prevent the defense from lining up over the snapper...which would be an illegal formation penalty on the defense. Under NFL rules, on any scrimmage kick, a player who is within one yard of the line of scrimmage must have his entire body outside the snapper's shoulder pads at the snap.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 03:42pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
The official will do this to prevent the defense from lining up over the snapper...which would be an illegal formation penalty on the defense. Under NFL rules, on any scrimmage kick, a player who is within one yard of the line of scrimmage must have his entire body outside the snapper's shoulder pads at the snap.
Unfortunately, I had a HS varsity coach believe this was a rule on Friday night. Sigh.
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 03:52pm
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Unfortunately, I had a HS varsity coach believe this was a rule on Friday night. Sigh.
I haven't heard that one before. We get the usual "No contact after 5 yards!" or "But I was outside the pocket!".
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 04:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
"He was lined up over our center!!!....How do you guys not see that??"

I often wonder who takes the test for these guys.
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 04:05pm
I Bleed Crimson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canned Heat View Post
"He was lined up over our center!!!....How do you guys not see that??"

I often wonder who takes the test for these guys.
A test for the coach! Hah! IIRC, only the head coach has to take the clinic, and the clinic is so basic that it doesn't help with this.

And regardless, for us it is usually some assistant yelling for a Saturday or Sunday call.
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 04:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suudy View Post
A test for the coach! Hah! IIRC, only the head coach has to take the clinic, and the clinic is so basic that it doesn't help with this.

And regardless, for us it is usually some assistant yelling for a Saturday or Sunday call.
__________________________________________________ _______________

HC requirement here.....I sometimes swear they give them a free pass or a test from the mid-90's.
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 05:07pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the answer guys. As a official (in other sports) I find my viewing enjoyment is enhanced (or more frustrated) if I know the rules and officails mechanics. While football is my favorite sport, I'm too old and fat and too much of a fan to be a good football official.
Old Mon Oct 14, 2013, 05:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
We had a coach on Friday think that any contact with the snapper was illegal. Or that the snapper could keep his head down and he was given protection. Just another day and another dollar I guess.

Peace
Old Tue Oct 15, 2013, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
We had a coach on Friday think that any contact with the snapper was illegal. Or that the snapper could keep his head down and he was given protection. Just another day and another dollar I guess.

Peace
Speaking of which....if I had a dollar for every time I heard "they hit our center"....I'd literally be sitting with an umbrella laden cocktail on a beach.
Old Wed Oct 16, 2013, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

I think this had more to do with too many players lining up on one side of the center than a player actually being on the center. I saw this flagged a couple weeks ago in an NFL game. The defense had about seven players on the offense's right side during a FG try. I didn't know that rule but that's how the announcer's explained it. They could be very wrong of course.
Old Wed Oct 16, 2013, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zm1283 View Post
I think this had more to do with too many players lining up on one side of the center than a player actually being on the center. I saw this flagged a couple weeks ago in an NFL game. The defense had about seven players on the offense's right side during a FG try. I didn't know that rule but that's how the announcer's explained it. They could be very wrong of course.
That is a new rule in the NFL this year...no more than 6 players on either side of the snapper at the snap when the offense presents a field goal or try-kick formation.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Wed Oct 16, 2013, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
That is a new rule in the NFL this year...no more than 6 players on either side of the snapper at the snap when the offense presents a field goal or try-kick formation.
That's very interesting, depending on how (if at all) FG formation is defined. Team A could line up unbalanced, but team B can't match?
Old Wed Oct 16, 2013, 12:14pm
TODO: creative title here

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFL Rulebook
Article 3:
During a punt, a field goal attempt, or a Try Kick, a Team B player, who is within one yard of the line of scrimmage at the snap, must have his entire body outside the snapper’s shoulder pads

Note: This restriction does not apply if a team does not present an apparent punt, field goal, or Try Kick formation, or if, after the offensive team has assumed a set position, there is a shift, or a player goes in motion.

Penalty: For illegal formation by the defense: Loss of five yards
from the previous spot.
So, there you go... if they line up in an 'unbalanced formation' as you suggest, the restriction is not in effect.
Old Wed Oct 16, 2013, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
That's very interesting, depending on how (if at all) FG formation is defined. Team A could line up unbalanced, but team B can't match?
From the rule book:

Note: These restrictions do not apply if a team does not present a standard punt, field goal, or Try Kick formation (an equal number of players on the line of scrimmage on either side of the snapper in a tight formation), or if, after the offensive team has assumed a set position, there is a shift, or a player goes in motion.

*Restrictions referring to lining up over the snapper and more than 6 on either side

**Just want to note that jTheUmp's quote is from last year's rule book