The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 05:49pm
Official Forum Member

Reasonable space between defenders

This situation lead to a “T” on the Team A coach, so it got me to thinking….
I see this scenario a lot and have seen all three results, PC foul, Block foul, and NO call.

4-7-2c; 10-6-7, and 10.6.7 all put the "greater responsibility for contact" on the dribbler if two defenders are less than 3 feet apart. Same applies to a defender and the boundary line.

B1 and B2 are in the lane with legal guarding position, @ 3 feet or closer apart.
A1 tries to dribble between B1/B2. As A1 moves between, B1 leans or moves his hip/knee closer to B2. (sticks out his knee may be a better description)

A1 crashes to the floor because of contact.

I tend to have no call, as I view A1 is "responsible" for the contact and the result, but I recognize that B1 did not maintain his legal position. However, I do not see a requirement that B1 and B2 must even have established legal position, only that they are less than 3 feet apart. 4-7-1a & b, require legal guarding to be established, 4-7-1c does not.

What say you?? How do you view/call this situation? Is there a reference interpretation I may be missing?
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 05:52pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Doesn't say he's responsible, says he bears the greater responsibility. That directly implies that the defense is still liable. IOW, B1 can still be responsible if he does something stupid like stick his knee out.

This is a blocking foul, IMO.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

B2 Sticking his knee with draw a blocking call from me
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 07:43pm
Official Forum Member

The only thing the 3-foot reference means is that there is likely to be contact as the dribbler splits the defenders (or defender and the sideline) and to not automatically penalize the defenders unless they actually do something illegal. If they do, they have still fouled.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 07:54pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyo96 View Post
This situation lead to a “T” on the Team A coach, so it got me to thinking….
I see this scenario a lot and have seen all three results, PC foul, Block foul, and NO call.

4-7-2c; 10-6-7, and 10.6.7 all put the "greater responsibility for contact" on the dribbler if two defenders are less than 3 feet apart. Same applies to a defender and the boundary line.

B1 and B2 are in the lane with legal guarding position, @ 3 feet or closer apart.
A1 tries to dribble between B1/B2. As A1 moves between, B1 leans or moves his hip/knee closer to B2. (sticks out his knee may be a better description)

I tend to have no call, as I view A1 is "responsible" for the contact and the result, but I recognize that B1 did not maintain his legal position. However, I do not see a requirement that B1 and B2 must even have established legal position, only that they are less than 3 feet apart. 4-7-1a & b, require legal guarding to be established, 4-7-1c does not.

What say you?? How do you view/call this situation? Is there a reference interpretation I may be missing?
So B has LGP but then I read that B extends outside of the vertical cylinder. That's a block.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 07:54pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
4-7-2c; 10-6-7, and 10.6.7 all put the "greater responsibility for contact" on the dribbler if two defenders are less than 3 feet apart. What say you??
Case book play 10.6.7 unequivocably and definitively says it's a foul on the dribbler. There's no "greater responsibility for contact" language attached to the ruling.
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 08:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
As A1 moves between, B1 leans or moves his hip/knee closer to B2. (sticks out his knee may be a better description)
4-23-1
A player who extends an arm, shoulder, hip or leg into the path of an opponent is not considered to have a legal position if contact occurs.

It doesn't get any simpler than that.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu Jan 27, 2011, 09:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Case book play 10.6.7 unequivocably and definitively says it's a foul on the dribbler. There's no "greater responsibility for contact" language attached to the ruling.
Really? Or are you not addressing the play he provides?
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 01:34am
We don't rent pigs

Not sure I had ever read this case play before. Whoever wrote this case play thinks three feet is necessary for a dribbler to pass between two defenders without contact?? 32 inches is a common size for interior doorways.
Shaquille O'Neal could pass between 2 defenders 3 feet apart without contact.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 02:05am
Official Forum Member

LGP or not... stick your knee out= BLOCK.

I wouldn't care if the defenders were kissing each other... yes the greater responsibility for contact is on the dribbler, but once B stuck his/her knee out that all goes out the window, Tweet!-Block!
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 02:47am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoFussRef View Post
I wouldn't care if the defenders were kissing each other... yes the greater responsibility for contact is on the dribbler, but once B stuck his/her knee out that all goes out the window, Tweet!-Block!
+1 As far as I'm concerned, 3 feet has no special significance in this case. The point of this case play is that the defenders were positioned close enough together that the dribbler could not pass between without contact. The actual measurement involved would vary greatly with the size of the players involved.

Lonesome Dove
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 07:18am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
Really? Or are you not addressing the play he provides?
Not really. I was addressing the case book play but I should have been addressing the OP. If a defender sticks a knee out, it should be a block.

My bad.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 08:25am
Get away from me, Steve.

Your play (OP) is not the play where this case play applies. It's where a player tries to squeeze through two other players. When that happens, inevitably, the dribbler will travel as he tries to complete the move. If there's incidental contact there, pass. If there's significant contact caused by A1 trying to go through the defenders (who don't do something unusual like try to stick a leg out), call a PC foul.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 08:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
Any specific play will have a ruling about who is responsible for contact, offense or defense. That doesn't undercut the rule's general principle concerning the dribbler having "greater responsibility for contact." I think Camron's right to read this as "don't automatically penalize the defenders unless they do something illegal."

In the OP, they did, as I think we're all agreeing.
Old Fri Jan 28, 2011, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbyinTN View Post
B2 Sticking his knee with draw a blocking call from me
Me too.....