The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 08:59pm
Official Forum Member

Between two defenders

A1 gets the ball at the free throw line. B1 and B2 are right behind him, almost shoulder to shoulder with each other. A1 pivots and tries to get through the two defenders. There's contact by A1 on the defenders, but not enough to really displace them (however, it's a tight space). A1 has a clean path to the hoop should he get through them.

Charge or play on?
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 09:57pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

They need to hold their ground; chances are he's going to travel or trip or double dribble or something illegal. If they're that close and he gets through without displacing them, then they gave up their ground voluntarily.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

It's very difficult for something like this to happen cleanly. File it under "have to see it." If nobody's displaced and he maintains control, play on. As snaq said, odds are in favor of the trip, lost ball, etc. I'll see that and raise you that he'll most likely give you a dirty look and expect you to bail him out with a call.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan74
Charge or play on?

Does depend on what happens. Defenders have the right to be there and hold their ground.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 10:29pm
PYRef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan74
A1 gets the ball at the free throw line. B1 and B2 are right behind him, almost shoulder to shoulder with each other. A1 pivots and tries to get through the two defenders. There's contact by A1 on the defenders, but not enough to really displace them (however, it's a tight space). A1 has a clean path to the hoop should he get through them.

Charge or play on?
By rule 10-6-2, this is a charge always. The dribbler shall not attempt to dribble between two opponents or between an opponent and a boundary, unless the space is such as to provide a reasonable chance for him or her to go through without contact.

Obviously there are no "always".
You may want to argue no displacement if the defenders are a little farther apart and they back away. But according to the OP, they are nearly shoulder to shoulder and right behind the dribbler. In this sitch, there's not much chance of him going through without contact.
I'd go with the whistle.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 10:54pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
If a guy is trying to thread a needle and the thread is too big for the eye of the needle, that guy isn't getting any help from me.
Old Mon Jan 15, 2007, 11:14pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If they're that close (shoulder to shoulder), he isn't getting through cleanly. If they're "almost" shoulder to shoulder, it's very possible if he's a good enough ball handler. If they don't get displaced, then I've got nothing. But, OTOH, I'm not bailing him out, either.
Rule says the onus is on the dribbler here, not that it's an automatic foul.
Old Tue Jan 16, 2007, 01:04am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
If they're that close (shoulder to shoulder), he isn't getting through cleanly. If they're "almost" shoulder to shoulder, it's very possible if he's a good enough ball handler. If they don't get displaced, then I've got nothing. But, OTOH, I'm not bailing him out, either.
Rule says the onus is on the dribbler here, not that it's an automatic foul.
Agreed. He might get through. If he doesn't, he's likely going to travel.