The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 13, 2013, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

It is clear, and yet you keep misrepresenting it. *IF* the officials are aware, then they send him off. NO WHERE in that protocol or in the law or in the training or ANYWHERE ELSE does it state that the officials have an active obligation to insert themselves and check on the actions of others such as trainers or coaches. Officials are NOT responsible to ensure that others follow the law, only that if THEY are aware of a situation then they take action. It doesn't say that officials have a reasonable duty to be aware at all times - quite the contrary actually. Only if they personally observe signs or symptoms themselves.

Go find the message board for coaches and trainers in that area - your beef is with them.
Old Fri Dec 13, 2013, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjohn View Post
http://ohsaa.org/medicine/Concussion...otocol0111.pdf

there is the protocol, it is clear!

4. What is the role of contest officials in administering the new rule?
 Officials are to review and know the signs and symptoms of concussion and to direct immediate removal of any athlete who
displays these signs or symptoms,

When medical personnel are present.... the official is out of the mix.

 An official shall not permit the athlete who has been removed under this rule to return to competition without written medical
authorization presented to the head official.

This only applies if the Referee notifies the Head Coach that he has observed the signs, symptoms and behaviors. If someone else observes and the Referee's not been notified, he has no duty for obvious reasons...

If a contest official is aware that a student has been permitted to return to competition without written authorization from a
physician or licensed athletic trainer, that official shall immediately stop play and remove that student from competition and report
the incident to the Ohio High School Athletic Association

See above..... The officials in this game were not notified of the players symptoms, nor did they observe the symptoms...

 Note that officials are not medical professionals and have no authority to determine whether or not student has sustained a
concussion. The official is responsible for directing removal when he or she observes signs and symptoms that may indicate a
student is concussed.

Nowhere does it say fan in the stands, fan on a message board, former coach, fan watching on TV.....
As usual, you are wrong...... the reasons are in red above...

Your observations are just that, yours, and have no relevance to anything that happened on the field...

Last edited by asdf; Fri Dec 13, 2013 at 11:01am.
Old Fri Dec 13, 2013, 11:07am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The rule says err on the side of caution! If it appears the player has any concussion like symptoms, he is done for the remainder of that day. That is all.
If it appears to those who are empowered.......

Not you

Last edited by asdf; Fri Dec 13, 2013 at 11:17am.
Old Fri Dec 13, 2013, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

You guys are hilarious, the kid laid on the ground for 5 minutes. He clearly was dinged. the nature of the hit should have drawn attention or the fact that he had to be helped off the field and they weren't checking any limbs!

Be real guys. It was clear that he was removed for possible head injury/concussion symptoms and that is all the rule says get him suspended for the day! That message from the DOD clearly says that and the protocol says all adults are responsible for enforcing the rule and not breaking the LAW!!!!
Old Fri Dec 13, 2013, 11:42am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
You guys are hilarious, the kid laid on the ground for 5 minutes. He clearly was dinged. the nature of the hit should have drawn attention or the fact that he had to be helped off the field and they weren't checking any limbs!
I can tell you have not been coaching very long or at a high level, because players lay on the ground for all kinds or reasons that have nothing to do with a concussion or a head injury of any kind. And when a player is on the ground, I am not often looking for what they are checking in detail. Sometimes we are worried about communication other information to crew members and sometimes talking to coaches about issues they want addressed or had asked about earlier in the contest. A lot of time the player is not even our only concern when they are down on the ground and medical personnel are over the situation.

Quote:
Be real guys. It was clear that he was removed for possible head injury/concussion symptoms and that is all the rule says get him suspended for the day! That message from the DOD clearly says that and the protocol says all adults are responsible for enforcing the rule and not breaking the LAW!!!!
And the fact you have never officiated and never had to make these decision shows how ignorant you are to these matters. And players come in and out of games all the time without officials knowing why, even when they are injured. And depending on where a player is injured, that can be more of evidence of how an official would not know why a player is being attended to. No one is saying that the officials could not ever see these things, but it is understandable to those that officiate why it was not seen. And if the only evidence was assumed because of interviews, that shows you a lot of why you have no idea what happens. And that does not include that I am sure TV played a role in when to get back to play and other issues that happen at a State Final that are distractions to working a game normally.

Peace
Old Fri Dec 13, 2013, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Yeah, I am ignorant! Classic.

"Coach, that young man is showing signs of a concussion, per the new rules, he is done for the day."

Yeah that takes a lot of training!

Why attack me? I am totally aware of what should have happened in this situation.
Old Fri Dec 13, 2013, 12:23pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Yeah, I am ignorant! Classic.

"Coach, that young man is showing signs of a concussion, per the new rules, he is done for the day."

Yeah that takes a lot of training!

Why attack me? I am totally aware of what should have happened in this situation.
Yes in the truest definition you are ignorant. You have never been an official and you are ranting about what should be done as if you know what this job involves. Yes you are ignorant. And it is not an attack to point that out to you when you keep insisting that what the officials should have done without knowing what they actually saw or did not see. Then you are making judgments based on post game comments that the officials should have seen something because someone said something in the post game wrap up or Tweets from fans.

Yes that is ignorant.

I know I am ignorant to what is or what is not an actual signs of a concussion. I know how to stay in my lane, do you?

Peace

Last edited by JRutledge; Fri Dec 13, 2013 at 12:26pm.
Old Fri Dec 13, 2013, 12:40pm
Official Forum Member

Funny thing you would ask that I have taught driver training for 6 years logging thousands of hours in the car with new drivers. I know my lanes!

I also know the rules and have been to many rules meetings and spent countless hours studying them and hundreds of hours in football games and thousands of hours in football practices. So to call me ignorant of the ways officials should call a football rule is really a stupid statement based on your own ignorance of my life and experiences. Get over yourself.
Old Fri Dec 13, 2013, 12:43pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Funny thing you would ask that I have taught driver training for 6 years logging thousands of hours in the car with new drivers. I know my lanes!

I also know the rules and have been to many rules meetings and spent countless hours studying them and hundreds of hours in football games and thousands of hours in football practices. So to call me ignorant of the ways officials should call a football rule is really a stupid statement based on your own ignorance of my life and experiences. Get over yourself.
And your medical degree is in what?

Peace
Old Fri Dec 13, 2013, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

REFS MAKE THE CALL

Under Ohio’s new concussion law, referees are charged with removing a player who exhibits signs and symptoms of concussion. Ohio’s law is the rare concussion law to name referees in this task.

Once a player is removed on suspicion of concussion, the athlete cannot return to play that same day even if medical personnel believe the player has not suffered a concussion.

“If we get down to the nitty gritty of the game and some stud player gets hurt and you direct them out, you’re going to take some abuse,” said Carl Davidson, who is beginning his 29th season as a football referee.

Lawmakers felt including referees in removing a player would add an extra layer of protection, as they are right there with some of the best vantage points to see a hard hit or symptoms of a concussion.

Friday Night Ohio
Old Fri Dec 13, 2013, 12:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Be real guys. It was clear that he was removed for possible head injury/concussion symptoms and that is all the rule says get him suspended for the day!
No, they removed him because play was stopped for him, and by rule he had to leave the game.

As for the reason...... You have no idea why. You didnt talk to the medical personnel on the field or on the sidelines.

You are guessing.... Why don't you admit that?
Old Fri Dec 13, 2013, 12:57pm
Chain of Fools

Not seeming to be much different than in NC, we send them off to be seen by the Approved Health Provider. Our burden has been met. If the AHP clears them, we're out of it.

I have been calling football since 1994. I have never went and analyzed a player lying on the ground. I blow my whistle, stop the clock, and call for the trainer. I have never once inserted myself into any discussion with the staff while a player has been attended to.

If I see a player up and around showing signs of a possible concussion, I will advise the coach that player needs looked at and whatever sign I observed that led me to that conclusion. It's his issue after that.
Old Fri Dec 13, 2013, 12:59pm
Official Forum Member

Guessing what, that the kid had been rocked and was wobbly? Thousands of people saw that, even the announcers said, hey, they better get out the smelling salts! It was clear to everyone watching that particular play that the player was showing signs of a concussion, surely the 5 guys on the field certified and trained to see such things could see it too! Even if they were guessing, by rule (and State Law!) the kid should have been done for the day!
Old Fri Dec 13, 2013, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You don't know the rules....and you don't know how rules are applied, you think everything is black and white....

That makes you ignorant on the rules.
Old Fri Dec 13, 2013, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Guessing what,
Did you talk to the medical personnel while they evaluated the player?

Yes = lying
No = guessing
Closed Thread