The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
While I agree, most of those give the "downward chop" RFP, followed immediately by the "wind the clock" signal.
Not trying to start a fight over it, but I have gone to many Big 10 games over the last few years, and their Rs basically never 'chop' before winding the clock in those circumstances. Just my observation.

Last edited by PSU213; Tue Dec 18, 2012 at 03:33pm.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 03:32pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
While I agree, most of those give the "downward chop" RFP, followed immediately by the "wind the clock" signal.
I'm not a referee at the college level (with the exception of an occasional undercard game), but I can say that I've not seen my referee give the chop nor do I at the HS level (the wind is also the RFP -- I have never seen the point in doing both).

At higher levels, I've noticed the R's don't even blow a whistle when starting the clock if there's a 40 second clock already running.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 04:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSU213 View Post
Not trying to start a fight over it, but I have gone to many Big 10 games over the last few years, and their Rs basically never 'chop' before winding the clock in those circumstances. Just my observation.
Fair enough -- different observations at different levels (I run the clock / scoreboard at a JuCo).
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 07:43pm
Chain of Fools

Quote:
Correct but here he was referring to the foul happening after the RFP. The post was stating there isn't a ready for play whistle or signal after the previous play unless there was an official's time out for something.
I disagree bison, I see no mention of the RFP being blown in the OP and both plays described read like pretty standard DBF's to me.
Old Tue Dec 18, 2012, 11:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
I disagree bison, I see no mention of the RFP being blown in the OP and both plays described read like pretty standard DBF's to me.
I was referring to this quote and the conversation that took place after this. There is no RFP blown in many plays so this isn't a specific point of reference regarding 1st and 10 or 1st and 25.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Under NCAA rules, its once the ready for play has been blown.
Old Wed Dec 19, 2012, 01:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Even then, it's not "technically" a RFP. Ball's spotted, game clock's started, but the 40 second clock is running the entire time. Not what I'd traditionally think of as a RFP.
That's funny, I thought it just meant "ready for play". Traditionally. As in ready. For. Play. The ball's either ready for play or it's not.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 08:15am
In Time Out

I have a related question. In a high school game, how do the officials know how to set the clock back to the proper time. I was at a playoff game, and opening play of the fourth quarter the offense commits an illegal procedure penatly. Four seconds ran off the clock, and the clock wasn't reset back to twelve minutes. Was this just an official error?
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 09:09am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
I have a related question. In a high school game, how do the officials know how to set the clock back to the proper time. I was at a playoff game, and opening play of the fourth quarter the offense commits an illegal procedure penatly. Four seconds ran off the clock, and the clock wasn't reset back to twelve minutes. Was this just an official error?
What's "illegal procedure"?
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 10:16am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Tyler View Post
We check the clock when it is supposed to stop or shouldn't have started and can relay corrections up to the press box. 4 seconds run off at the beginning of the quarter would probably not warrant the hassle of having to correct clock. Many college conferences have guidelines for when to correct timing mistakes.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 06:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
We check the clock when it is supposed to stop or shouldn't have started and can relay corrections up to the press box. 4 seconds run off at the beginning of the quarter would probably not warrant the hassle of having to correct clock. Many college conferences have guidelines for when to correct timing mistakes.
The most common one I've heard is more than 5 seconds or under 5 minutes in the half. Anything outside let it go. It's not worth the hassle.
Old Thu Dec 20, 2012, 08:48pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
We would fix it on the first play of the quarter. It's too obvious to let go, IMO.

This past year we had a kickoff that was touched inbounds by R and went out of bounds. The clock didn't move despite the covering official(s) winding it. As the on-field timekeeper, I went to the R and told him what had happened and that we should take 2 seconds off the clock. He did.

We had an observer and it was one of the positive comments mentioned in our postgame with him.

This was at the college level with a field microphone. My threshold is a bit different in the game where I have to go over to a coach and have him relay information to an assistant coach in the booth who has to then relay the information to the timer.
Old Sat Dec 22, 2012, 12:20am
In Time Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
What's "illegal procedure"?
false start them.....................