The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 19, 2012, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to waltjp
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
Yes, they are annoying but they aren't artificial noisemakers.
Kinda the point I was making.
Old Fri Oct 19, 2012, 09:09am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
Nerd.
Sorry should I have used <> instead?
Old Fri Oct 19, 2012, 09:56am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
So, would you allow them in a HS basketball game? I wouldn't, but the rule is the same, it seems.

I disagree that band instruments aren't artificial noise makers.
The basketball rule is "The playing of music/sound effects shall only be permitted during pregame, time-outs, intermission and post-game. The use of artificial noisemakers shall be prohibited."

Using instruments is prohibited in basketball because they produce music (and, technically, a vuvuzeela is a type of trumpet, so it produces "music").

As to instruments being artificial noise makers, when's the last time you saw a trumpet make a sound by itself?
Old Fri Oct 19, 2012, 11:45am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastshire View Post
The basketball rule is "The playing of music/sound effects shall only be permitted during pregame, time-outs, intermission and post-game. The use of artificial noisemakers shall be prohibited."

Using instruments is prohibited in basketball because they produce music (and, technically, a vuvuzeela is a type of trumpet, so it produces "music").

As to instruments being artificial noise makers, when's the last time you saw a trumpet make a sound by itself?
Neither do artificial instruments.

What about bull horn amplifiers (non electric)?
Old Fri Oct 19, 2012, 12:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
The band can't play during live action. Period. That's the NCAA rule (which Texas plays by) and is also in the UIL guidelines.
This statement is false. The NCAA rule is as follows:

"Persons subject to the rules, including bands, shall not create any noise that prohibits a team from hearing its signals." (9-2-1-b-5)

It did not say it couldn't play during live action. Drum lines are going all the time, especially in the 4th quarter.

There is nothing in the UIL exceptions on this rule. Where exactly are you getting the information that led you to make this statement?
Old Fri Oct 19, 2012, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
This statement is false. The NCAA rule is as follows:

"Persons subject to the rules, including bands, shall not create any noise that prohibits a team from hearing its signals." (9-2-1-b-5)

It did not say it couldn't play during live action. Drum lines are going all the time, especially in the 4th quarter.

There is nothing in the UIL exceptions on this rule. Where exactly are you getting the information that led you to make this statement?
Um ... this: Persons subject to the rules, including bands, shall not create any noise that prohibits a team from hearing its signals.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Oct 19, 2012, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Um ... this: Persons subject to the rules, including bands, shall not create any noise that prohibits a team from hearing its signals.
If you're reading that to prohibit any music at all, you're reading too much into it.
Old Fri Oct 19, 2012, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

Does not say "can't play during live action. Period."

I quoted the rule. Did you really miss that? Also, where is the reference to UIL rules that you asserted?

This bothers me tremendously because you, as a Texas official, are incorrectly asserting rule references. I'm not trying to pick a fight, just wanting to know where you are getting your information.
Old Fri Oct 19, 2012, 01:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Does not say "can't play during live action. Period."

I quoted the rule. Did you really miss that? Also, where is the reference to UIL rules that you asserted?

This bothers me tremendously because you, as a Texas official, are incorrectly asserting rule references. I'm not trying to pick a fight, just wanting to know where you are getting your information.
Fair enough, I broad brushed it here too much. And I'm looking for the line on the UIL site that reiterates this (it's not an exception). Haven't found that yet.

Replying to the "music" part above... the band was not playing music the first time the official told them to cut it out. They were blurting random noises as the opposing team was huddled and calling out it's snap count (according to a linesman working this game). Pretty much exactly what this rule is meant to prevent.

The SECOND time - the one that drew a flag - was music, but they'd been told simply not to play while the other team's offense was getting ready. Seems (to me) from what I'm being told that the band guy was pushing things on purpose.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Oct 19, 2012, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

different band sich

Not my friday game, but a friends.
Home team band is still on the field at halftime when the crew walks back out to start the 2nd half. Band is still playing when the 3 min warmup starts- actually wont leave when director informed by crew- "He says,"we need to finish the song"....
Visiting team is delayed from entering the field, band finally marches off....15yd unsportsmanlike against home coach.
Home coach tells crew something like "Yea, I know, I know, that band director's been p***ing me off all year"..
I love telling other friend officials that "he flagged the band" just to see their reaction.....

Last edited by archangel; Sat Oct 20, 2012 at 03:30am.