The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 06:28pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
Today was a day off and I was probably in the books for at least 2 hours today. And it was a light day. Where do I send my bill?

I did a Saturday college game earlier this season where I earned less than $10/hour if you considered my time from when I left the house and when I returned.
When I talk to some people, they comment on how well we are paid. ($50 / high school game, which takes 2 hours.)

I tell them for every hour we spend on the field, we spend at least an hour off the field. This includes clinics, conferences, camps, etc.

Then we have our uniform, etc. I spend some each year on items that need replacing.

Most people are shocked to hear what we actually get paid all things considered.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post

Subtract TV timeouts from the college games and I wouldn't be surprised to see timing similar to that of what we have for HS games now.

I am the red hat official (Timeout coordinator) for Big Sky Conference games at the University of North Dakota and we have 3 90-sec timeouts per quarter. What looks like a quick-moving game turns out to be 3 hours.

Agreed on the NFHS change. Depending on the number of COP's the games are a lot longer now.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 10:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Change in the timing rules has little to do with Federation game times.
I can't agree with you. Starting on the snap after a change of possession has added 10-15 minutes. 3 minute warmup has added 3 more.

Proof: JV games here use 12 minutes quarters but we use the old timing rules. Most JV games last 2 hours or less.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 11:29pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
I can't agree with you. Starting on the snap after a change of possession has added 10-15 minutes. 3 minute warmup has added 3 more.

Proof: JV games here use 12 minutes quarters but we use the old timing rules. Most JV games last 2 hours or less.
We use the new timing rules, but most conferences play 10 minute quarters. About 2 hour games then, too.
Old Wed Oct 10, 2012, 11:32pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
We use the new timing rules, but most conferences play 10 minute quarters. About 2 hour games then, too.
That's how we do it, and the game lengths are the same; normally under two hours.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2012, 06:15am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Change in the timing rules has little to do with Federation game times.
My estimate of 15 minutes is based on the difference in our association's game times in the season (1994?) that the new rule took effect. Same players, same style of offense -- the only difference was the rule change.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2012, 08:05am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
In California, I had you both beat. Subvarsity played 10 minutes with the old timing rules. Those games flew by.
Old Thu Oct 11, 2012, 08:45am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct1 View Post
my estimate of 15 minutes is based on the difference in our association's game times in the season (1994?) that the new rule took effect. Same players, same style of offense -- the only difference was the rule change.
1996 was the year. The old timing rules for NFHS (for those who still play them) were 16 years ago.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2012, 09:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
I estimate that the clock rule added 15 minutes to my games. More incomplete passes and kickoffs have added about another 20. Our standard 20-min. halftime (used to be 15) plus the mandatory 3-minute warmup have added another 8.

So, my 1:45 average game has turned into about 2:20. It's a good thing I'm getting paid $15 more.
I've only been doing this under the current timing rules but the quickest varsity game I've ever had was probably 2:10. They are usually 2:20 to 2:30. We've had a couple go over 3:00 but that is because of a lot of scoring, a lot of fouls, or a lot of incomplete passes (or a combination). I think starting the clock on OOB plays like NCAA does would cut out at least 10-15 minutes.
Old Fri Oct 12, 2012, 09:58am
Get away from me, Steve.

Our fastest games are ones where we have a running clock the entire second half (we have a 35 point second half running clock rule). Those can be over in under 2 hours, but they're lousy games.