The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Mar 29, 2002, 01:34am
Official Forum Member

Smile

Had a situation last night where A1 is dribbling up the court (after a made basket by B1) and for some reason the clock stopped (stopped during the throw in at 3:10). Going by NF rules you should obviously blow your whistle, which I did as lead when the ball was at midcourt and about 2 seconds should have come off. The next part is what I am confused about. Should you (1) Do the inbound over and reset to 3:10 or (2) Inbound at the closest spot and use judgement to determine how many ticks came off the clock. Thanks
Old Fri Mar 29, 2002, 01:59am
certified Hot Mom tester

Cool

Quote:
Originally posted by Cornellref
Had a situation last night where A1 is dribbling up the court (after a made basket by B1) and for some reason the clock stopped (stopped during the throw in at 3:10). Going by NF rules you should obviously blow your whistle, which I did as lead when the ball was at midcourt and about 2 seconds should have come off. The next part is what I am confused about. Should you (1) Do the inbound over and reset to 3:10 or (2) Inbound at the closest spot and use judgement to determine how many ticks came off the clock. Thanks
You do number 2 (but be sure to clean it up afterward )

Sorry, sometimes one of the other people who live in my head takes over.

See casebook 5.10.2. If you have definite knowledge of how much time should have run off the clock, then blow your whistle, take the proper time off the clock and inbound at the spot nearest to where the ball was when you blew your whistle.

Always be sure to state loudly that "you were counting" or something like that to indicate you indeed had definite knowledge of the time elapsed. Since you have perfect mechanics (you do, don't you?) you were making a visible count during your 10 second backcourt count so you shouldn't have any problem "convincing" everyone you kept track of the time.
Old Fri Mar 29, 2002, 11:08am
Official Forum Member

Thanks, that's what the time keeper recommended to me as well.