The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Football (https://forum.officiating.com/football/)
-   -   Clock Start Question (https://forum.officiating.com/football/92604-clock-start-question.html)

Scuba_ref Tue Oct 09, 2012 02:03pm

Clock Start Question

I am new to the White Hat postition and am currently cutting my teeth on Jr High and Sub Varsity games. I was having a conversation with another White Hat (varsity level) and he posed this question to me: K is punting and the kicker gets the ball away but is roughed in the process. Official on that game started the clock at the ready after marching off the penalty, was this correct?

My answer was no. Team K was awarded a new set of downs after a legal kick so start on the snap. The penalty was a minor clock stoppage and the kick play was a major clock stoppage - using the terminology from Reddings Guide - the kick clock stoppage supercedes the penalty clock stoppage and so start on the snap.

Am I wrong?

Adam Tue Oct 09, 2012 02:11pm

I'm not sure this is a new series. It's a first down, not a new set.

Unless I'm missing something.

MD Longhorn Tue Oct 09, 2012 02:13pm

There was no kick. The accepted penalty wiped that out. Proceed just as you would on any other 4th down play where a penalty resulted in a first down.

Clock on the ready.

Welpe Tue Oct 09, 2012 02:20pm

You are correct, Scuba, the clock will start on the snap:

NFHS 3-4-3

ART. 3 . . . The clock shall start with the snap or when any free kick is touched, other than first touching by K, if the clock was stopped because:

a. The ball goes out of bounds.

b. B or R is awarded a new series.

c. Either team is awarded a new series following a legal kick.

d. The ball becomes dead behind the goal line.

e. A legal or illegal forward pass is incomplete.

f. A request for a charged or TV/radio time-out is granted.

g. A period ends.

h. A team attempts to consume time illegally.

i. The penalty for a delay of game foul is accepted.

j. A fair catch is made.

Welpe Tue Oct 09, 2012 02:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by adam (Post 857613)
unless i'm missing something.

2-26-5 & 5-1-1

maven Tue Oct 09, 2012 03:50pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 857615)
There was no kick. The accepted penalty wiped that out. Proceed just as you would on any other 4th down play where a penalty resulted in a first down.

Clock on the ready.

Sure there was a kick, and a team was awarded a new series thereafter. Clock on the snap. 3-4-3c

After an incomplete pass we start the clock on the snap too, even if there's an accepted DPI penalty. 3-4-3e

Different section of 3-4-3, but same thinking.

Scuba_ref Tue Oct 09, 2012 04:17pm

Thanks

Thank you for the replies. For those who think the kick was wiped out I found the following case play:

3.4.3 SITUATION G: A1 throws an incomplete pass on third down. During the play, A3 holds. B accepts the penalty. RULING: After enforcement, the clock shall start on the snap. (3-4-3e).

The incomplete pass caused the clock to stop and dictates how the clock will start after enforcing the penalty. This case is very similar to the question I asked and validates (in my mind) the reposnses for starting on the snap.

EDIT: Oops, should have read Maven's response just before this, well at least I added the case play.

CT1 Tue Oct 09, 2012 04:49pm

The reason for starting on the snap rather than the RFP following a new series after a legal kick is to allow the teams to get their new personnel on the field.

If they don't have to change personnel, start on the RFP.

Rich Tue Oct 09, 2012 04:58pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by CT1 (Post 857636)
The reason for starting on the snap rather than the RFP following a new series after a legal kick is to allow the teams to get their new personnel on the field.

If they don't have to change personnel, start on the RFP.

I'm not sure what you mean by this. If either team has a new series following a legal kick play, we start on the snap. Period. The fact that there's a live ball penalty is irrelevant -- it doesn't wipe out the play.

Adam Tue Oct 09, 2012 05:02pm

Ok, this makes sense. Thanks.

Rich Tue Oct 09, 2012 05:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 857615)

Clock on the ready.

Nope. Not in NFHS or NCAA.

CT1 Wed Oct 10, 2012 08:19am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 857640)
I'm not sure what you mean by this.

Me either. Maybe I had a flashback to the 1994(?) rationale for the FED rules change. :D

MD Longhorn Wed Oct 10, 2012 08:37am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 857642)
Nope. Not in NFHS or NCAA.

Argh... my bad. Worse --- I believe I blew this one on the field last year. And none of my crew that day (sub-V, so not a standard "crew") noticed or mentioned it.

maven Wed Oct 10, 2012 08:44am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 857724)
Argh... my bad. Worse --- I believe I blew this one on the field last year. And none of my crew that day (sub-V, so not a standard "crew") noticed or mentioned it.

Ah, well blame that crew then! ;)

My understanding of NFHS clock rules became so much clearer when someone encouraged me to memorize the "major stoppers" in 3-4-3.

The provision about "legal kick" is tricky because it's a major stopper only when you have a legal kick AND a new series (to either team). If we have a punt, K holds before the kick, and R accepts the penalty, clock runs on the RFP.

Perhaps you were thinking along these lines?

Welpe Wed Oct 10, 2012 08:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 857724)

Don't beat yourself up too badly. I'd wager the number of SV officials that know the clock rules around here number in the dozens.

Part of the problem is that we don't have a real clear set of timing rules. It's always been "use the 2005 rules" which isn't exactly right and good luck if you don't have a 2005 book.