The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 03, 2012, 01:49pm
Official Forum Member

Fed 7-5 "additional" yards

In case of intentional PI, is the "penalized an additional 15 yards" added to the distance of a single penalty, i.e. made a 30 yd. penalty? Or is it administered as 2 penalties, each of 15 yds., in succession?
Old Mon Sep 03, 2012, 02:04pm
Chain of Fools

Keep reading on down to PENALTY after 7-5-13, note S27.
Old Mon Sep 03, 2012, 08:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLin NC View Post
Keep reading on down to PENALTY after 7-5-13, note S27.
That's where I got this from. It raises the question, doesn't answer it.
Old Mon Sep 03, 2012, 08:58pm
Chain of Fools

What does it really matter ? 30 = 15 + 15 = 30.

You stand a better chance of being struck by lightning inside your house than ever seeing it on the field.

There is no mechanic which specifies but since S27 is for USC/Non contact foul one can infer that the R would signal PI, U walk off 15, then signal USC and walk off 15.
Old Mon Sep 03, 2012, 11:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What does it really matter ? 30 = 15 + 15 = 30.

You stand a better chance of being struck by lightning inside your house than ever seeing it on the field.

There is no mechanic which specifies but since S27 is for USC/Non contact foul one can infer that the R would signal PI, U walk off 15, then signal USC and walk off 15.
It makes a difference if either is half the distance to the goal line. Then if it's a single 30 yard penalty it could be a much shorter distance than if it's 2 penalties nominally 15 yds. each.
Old Tue Sep 04, 2012, 05:52am
Chain of Fools

Half the distance is half the distance no matter how you break down the math. No different scenario than if you had a live ball foul followed by a dead ball foul on the same team, ie DPI + USC.
Old Tue Sep 04, 2012, 06:28am
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
That's where I got this from. It raises the question, doesn't answer it.
Are you being intentionally obtuse?

Football Fundamentals state that all penalties are 5, 10 or 15 yards -- there is no 30 yard penalty.

So, the term "in addition" must mean that the team is penalized 15 yards for the PI, and 15 yards for the intent.
Old Tue Sep 04, 2012, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Half the distance is half the distance no matter how you break down the math. No different scenario than if you had a live ball foul followed by a dead ball foul on the same team, ie DPI + USC.
Actually, a 30 yard penalty would have different enforcement, since DPI would start being enforced half the distance at the A40!

Consider: ball at B45, pass play, DPI + intent. A 30 yard penalty would be enforced half the distance, A 1/10 @ B22.5.

If anyone in the history of high school football were ever to call this in an actual game: ball at B45, DPI + intent. Enforce DPI to the B30, then another 15 for intent, A 1/10 @ B15.

That said, the question is ridiculous. The foul is never called, and it's a fundamental (as CT1 points out) that penalties are 5, 10, or 15 yards.
Old Tue Sep 04, 2012, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

If you have actually called this please raise your hand...anyone...anyone?
Old Tue Sep 04, 2012, 11:58am
Do not give a damn!!

I have never called this and doubt I ever will, but I could see this being called in a game if a coach coaches this kind of action. I do not see this as the equivalent of the multiple foul in basketball.

Peace
Old Tue Sep 04, 2012, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Um ... no. Which is why we walk them separately.

Say the foul happened on the 32. A single 30-yard penalty (which doesn't exist, btw) would result in a half-the-distance walkoff to the 16. Two 15 yarders (the right way to do this) results in a first walk to the 17, and a second walk to the 8 1/2.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 04, 2012, 03:25pm
Chain of Fools

So what in my statement is wrong? I realize based on field position that it is conceivable that one or both penalty assessments may or may not receive the entire 15 yard penalty mark-off.

I saw no need to type an entire list of where and when it would become necessary to satisfy his wacky scenario. Kind of like the etrade baby commercial- he's more likely to be mauled by a polar bear and a regular bear in the same day.
Old Tue Sep 04, 2012, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

We had a case last year where a B player hit the QB late for RTP, then got a taunting USC as the intercepted pass was being returned for a soon-to-be nullified touchdown. (Goose-stepping with the ball held out to the pursuing A players as he crossed the goal line.)
We took 6 off the board, walked off two separate 15's, set the stakes and kept playing. The only thing more eerie than the chorus of boos and angry shouts from the visitor stands was the momentary silence when everyone looked at our WH when he began the signals. I felt really vulnerable holding a down indicator with no kevlar under my shirt.
Old Tue Sep 04, 2012, 05:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So what in my statement is wrong?
Robert said:
Quote:
It makes a difference if either is half the distance to the goal line. Then if it's a single 30 yard penalty it could be a much shorter distance than if it's 2 penalties nominally 15 yds. each.
You replied:
Quote:
Half the distance is half the distance no matter how you break down the math.
That part is wrong.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Sep 04, 2012, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
Are you being intentionally obtuse?

Football Fundamentals state that all penalties are 5, 10 or 15 yards -- there is no 30 yard penalty.

So, the term "in addition" must mean that the team is penalized 15 yards for the PI, and 15 yards for the intent.
"Football Fundamentals" are after-the-fact summations that I don't trust. They're not fundamentals that the rules committee decides on first and then derives details from, and they're also not authoritative statements like approved rulings or interpretations books from the same source. Besides, 2-16-1 says, "A foul is a rules infraction for which a penalty is prescribed." A penalty, not 2 of them.

If Fed wanted to be clear, they would've said either that it's a 30 yard penalty in the case of intentional PI, or that it's successive 2 penalties of 15 yds. each, the second being a succeeding spot enforcement, rather than writing this "additional 15 yards" business. It's not clear whether "additional" means you add the yards to a single penalty or administer a 2nd penalty.

Last edited by Robert Goodman; Tue Sep 04, 2012 at 07:20pm.