The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 04, 2012, 08:34pm
Official Forum Member

NCAA kickoff

Free kick. A2 is at his 27yd line to kick off. As he approaches the ball, A44 is at the A 33yd line and kicks the ball onside, team A recovers at the A49.
Is this a foul under the new 6-1-2-b? Is A2 now legal since he is within 5 yds at the time the ball was kicked by A44?
Old Tue Sep 04, 2012, 08:56pm
TODO: creative title here

I'm assuming the the free kick line is the 35.

This should be a foul for illegal free kick formation... the kicking team may only have one player behind the 30 yard line, and that player must be the one to kick the ball.
Old Wed Sep 05, 2012, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Is this a post-publication change? It's not in the PDF, either in the body of the rules themselves or the list of changes. Did they put a slip of paper in the book?
Old Wed Sep 05, 2012, 12:28pm
Archaic Power Monger

It was a change for this year and there is a new PDF on the NCAA site.
Old Wed Sep 05, 2012, 01:11pm
Official Forum Member

All but the kicker have to be within 5 yards of their restraining line at the ready for play. Having one foot on the restraining line constitutes being within 5 yards.

At my (HS) game last week, neither team had practiced this. Virtually all kickoffs had 5 yards added to the resulting dead ball spot.
Old Wed Sep 05, 2012, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Rule 6, Section I, Article 2

b. After the ball has been made ready for play all players on the kicking team except the kicker must be no more than five yards behind their restraining line. A player satisfies this rule when one foot is on or beyond the line five yards behind the restraining line. If one player is more than five yards behind the restraining line and any other player kicks the ball, it is a foul.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Sep 05, 2012, 02:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllPurposeGamer View Post
Rule 6, Section I, Article 2

b. After the ball has been made ready for play all players on the kicking team except the kicker must be no more than five yards behind their restraining line. A player satisfies this rule when one foot is on or beyond the line five yards behind the restraining line. If one player is more than five yards behind the restraining line and any other player kicks the ball, it is a foul.
Funny, I downloaded their 2011-12 football rules (with 2012 changes) today and this was not in it. Presumably they have a link somewhere labeled something like, "Surprise, New Edition!". Was this a case (as sometimes happens with such governing bodies) that they resolved to make no changes in a succeeding year (except one or more I see was scheduled to come into effect the 2nd year of use of the book) so as to keep a book current for longer and promote stability of administration, and then they changed their mind?

I bet they don't expect to take this rule literally as prohibiting all players of A/K from being more than 5 yds. behind their line the entire time the ball is RFP. They probably meant it to apply only when team A/K "shows" ready or begins an actual run to kick off & cover. They probably don't mean that once the ball is RFP, their players can't still be huddling, for instance, >5 yds. back.

Any indication of why they made this change? Just to make the coverage a tiny bit slower?
Old Wed Sep 05, 2012, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

Football Rules - NCAA.org

In the right column...
2012 NCAA Football Rules Book Supplement - changes approved March 2012 (Posted 5/22/12)
Old Wed Sep 05, 2012, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
I bet they don't expect to take this rule literally as prohibiting all players of A/K from being more than 5 yds. behind their line the entire time the ball is RFP. They probably meant it to apply only when team A/K "shows" ready or begins an actual run to kick off & cover. They probably don't mean that once the ball is RFP, their players can't still be huddling, for instance, >5 yds. back.
I agree that it's worded poorly - but the rule is obviously not meant to prohibit anything you just said. (My wording issue is that the final sentence says IS, and not was. Since it says IS, if the previously offending player is within 5 yards when it's kicked, it's not a foul --- but we all know they meant it to be. Should say "If one player other than the player who kicks the ball was, at the time the kicker began moving forward, more than five yards behind the restraining line, it is a foul.")

Quote:
Any indication of why they made this change? Just to make the coverage a tiny bit slower?
Yes ... and more than a tiny bit. Most players will not be at full speed when crossing the kicking line now.

Doesn't really matter now though, since every single kick is a touchback. It will affect onsides kicks, that's about it.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Sep 05, 2012, 04:11pm
TODO: creative title here

Yeah, the rule is very poorly worded.
mbcrowder's phrasing is basically how they want it called, as far as I've been able to discern.

Consider this scenario:
K's players are huddled close together, about 5-6 yards behind the ball when the RFP whistle blows.
K breaks the huddle and the players spread out to cover the field.
While running to their "start positions", one or more K players (other than the kicker) are running along the 29 yard line.
All K players (other than the kicker) put one foot on the 30 yard line and come to a complete stop.
The Kicker begins his forward motion and kicks the ball.

According to the exact wording of the rule, this would be a foul for illegal free-kick formation. However, I attended a clinic this spring with several D1 officials as clinicians, and ALL OF THEM said they'd rather take the risk of a potential downgrade for not calling this rather than being the first guy to throw a flag for it.

Think of it from a advantage/disadvantage standpoint... does K really gain an advantage in the scenario I outlined above?
Old Wed Sep 05, 2012, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Yes ... and more than a tiny bit. Most players will not be at full speed when crossing the kicking line now.

Doesn't really matter now though, since every single kick is a touchback. It will affect onsides kicks, that's about it.
I was looking forward to some high and short kicks, since there is more incentive to NOT allow the kickoff to travel to the end zone. A higher kick would allow the coverage more time to get downfield, especially starting at the 35. "Placing" the kick at between the 5 and 10 would give the return team three very unappealing choices.

And do we really need anything to make onside kicks even more difficult?
Old Wed Sep 05, 2012, 08:12pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I agree that it's worded poorly - but the rule is obviously not meant to prohibit anything you just said. (My wording issue is that the final sentence says IS, and not was. Since it says IS, if the previously offending player is within 5 yards when it's kicked, it's not a foul --- but we all know they meant it to be. Should say "If one player other than the player who kicks the ball was, at the time the kicker began moving forward, more than five yards behind the restraining line, it is a foul.")

Not every single kick was a TB for us on Saturday. Lots of high kickoffs between the 15 and the goal line, actually.
Old Wed Sep 05, 2012, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I think the effect will be much smaller than you think. First of all, very few players that I can recall used to take more than a 5 yard run before reaching their line anyway, and those who did may have stretched it to just 8 yds. or so. But let's say they wanted to make it a 10 yd. run. If they sprint, what percentage of their full speed do you think they reach in 10 yds. as opposed to 5? I'd say they might gain an additional 15%, generously. So what difference will that make in traversing the 10 yds. of the neutral zone? A tenth of a sec.? 0.2? And if the idea is to reduce their momentum after they traverse it, that difference is going to be even more minuscule.
Quote:
But elsewhere I've read there's been a differential touchback adopted too.
Old Wed Sep 05, 2012, 09:19pm
Official Forum Member

If the intention was to slow the kicking team down albeit only a tiny bit, here's how they should have worded it:

"No player of K may be in motion continuously forward throughout any interval that that begins with him more than 5 yards behind his restraining line and ends when he enters the neutral zone, unless he makes the kick."

That would allow players to mill around more than 5 yards back, and they could even start their run forward from back there provided they stop forward motion before entering the neutral zone. For instance, they could run on an S path that's flat at some point within 5 yds. their side of the NZ, or they could stop in that area before starting again, or they could simply fail to enter the NZ.

The only problem with that wording would be some fluke where play during the down has players of K running back toward their own end line and then forward again. So, final wording:

"No player of K may be in motion continuously forward throughout any interval that that begins before the kick with him more than 5 yards behind his restraining line and ends when he enters the neutral zone, unless he makes the kick."

Just thought I'd leave both versions in there to show the thought process.
Old Wed Sep 05, 2012, 09:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post

But elsewhere I've read there's been a differential touchback adopted too.
The ball goes to the 25 yard line now in NCAA on touchbacks from free kicks.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.