The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Sep 04, 2012, 09:44pm
Official & ***** Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert Goodman View Post
Besides, 2-16-1 says, "A foul is a rules infraction for which a penalty is prescribed." A penalty, not 2 of them.
Then how can we eject a player for a flagrant foul? That's 15 yards plus ejection -- 2 penalties for the one foul.

Quote:
It's not clear whether "additional" means you add the yards to a single penalty or administer a 2nd penalty.
It is to those of us who actually officiate.
Old Wed Sep 05, 2012, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

I MIGHT call it in a lower level game if it was multiple times by a single player and he ignores verbal instructions that we would provide. It's as rare as the 1 point safety allowed for in the book. Kind of like Sasquatch.
Old Wed Sep 05, 2012, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
Then how can we eject a player for a flagrant foul? That's 15 yards plus ejection -- 2 penalties for the one foul.
No. If the rule book says "Penalty:", then whatever follows the colon I take to mean a single penalty.
Old Wed Sep 05, 2012, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdow View Post
I MIGHT call it in a lower level game if it was multiple times by a single player and he ignores verbal instructions that we would provide. It's as rare as the 1 point safety allowed for in the book. Kind of like Sasquatch.
What I wonder about is whether this is supposed to supersede 9-9-1. It looks like the rules makers were saying this is specific rule coverage, so that no matter how unfair you think a player's pass interference was, this 15+15 is the most you can give, not an equitable penalty.
Old Wed Sep 05, 2012, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
It's not clear whether "additional" means you add the yards to a single penalty or administer a 2nd penalty.
Well, it is to everyone but you.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Sep 05, 2012, 11:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkdow View Post
Rarer. I've NEVER heard of this being enforced, at any level, by any official. I've actually seen the 1-point safety, by Texas A&M about 4 years ago.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Sep 05, 2012, 12:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
Well, it is to everyone but you.
I gather from everyone here -- and now a description on another board of an actual enforcement a coach witnessed -- that the understanding of it is the same as if the words "penalty of" were interpolated between "additional" and "15 yards". That would be soooo simple for the rules makers to write. This is why they need technical writing assistance. They didn't seem to have that problem until a little over 30 yrs. ago; before that, they seemed to know how to write clearly and concisely.
Old Wed Sep 05, 2012, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I gather from everyone here -- and now a description on another board of an actual enforcement a coach witnessed -- that the understanding of it is the same as if the words "penalty of" were interpolated between "additional" and "15 yards". That would be soooo simple for the rules makers to write. This is why they need technical writing assistance. They didn't seem to have that problem until a little over 30 yrs. ago; before that, they seemed to know how to write clearly and concisely.
I'm confused... are you saying they need an editorial change because 64,952 of 64,952 officials understand it, but you don't?

West Houston Mike

Last edited by MD Longhorn; Wed Sep 05, 2012 at 03:25pm.
Old Wed Sep 05, 2012, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I'm confused... are you saying they need an editorial change because 64,952 or 64,952 officials understand it, but you don't?
Yes, especially when it's clear the change would do no harm and would un-confuse at least 1 person who needs to know the rules. And it's clear from the responses in this thread that there was at least 1 person other than me who didn't understand, evidenced by what he wrote about its making no difference.

Last edited by Robert Goodman; Wed Sep 05, 2012 at 02:24pm.
Old Wed Sep 05, 2012, 03:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yes, especially when it's clear the change would do no harm and would un-confuse at least 1 person who needs to know the rules. And it's clear from the responses in this thread that there was at least 1 person other than me who didn't understand, evidenced by what he wrote about its making no difference.
Wow. Quite an ego you've got there, sir.

Instead of going through the process of making an editorial change to the book to accommodate a single person who "needs to know the rules", perhaps it would be simpler if that one person attend even a single clinic.

Or better yet, ask here - and ACCEPT THE ANSWER YOU'RE GIVEN. You aren't STILL confused, right? So that worked. Now we can all move on.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Sep 06, 2012, 06:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Instead of going through the process of making an editorial change to the book to accommodate a single person who "needs to know the rules", perhaps it would be simpler if that one person attend even a single clinic.

Or better yet, ask here - and ACCEPT THE ANSWER YOU'RE GIVEN. You aren't STILL confused, right? So that worked. Now we can all move on.
Don't be a jerk. Robert's right. The rule is ambiguous. It wouldn't take more than a word or two to make it unambiguous. Writing clearly and concisely is a difficult skill and this rule isn't up to the mark.
Old Thu Sep 06, 2012, 07:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Oh, I accept this answer. But what about the next question? Or the next person that has this question? Good rules writing tries to hammer these things out whenever they come up. There's no reason not to address every single one that's raised that way.

Indeed, it appears I, or somebody with the exact same question, got NCAA some years ago to fix a problem that'd existed in the wording of provisions to determine who was on team A's line of scrimmage. They had in one place written "[various body parts] or body", which implied that "body" alone was meant not to include those parts, and elsewhere nearby wrote "body" alone where they did mean to include all parts. I asked the editor a question, got an answer, and sure enough, about 3 years later they fixed that ambiguity. It pays to ask, and it pays to complain.
Old Thu Sep 06, 2012, 07:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

This is why Robert there is a "Spirit of the Rule" portion of most rulebooks. Not every situation is going to be clearly stated and accepted if you are trying to find nits in every word or statement.

Peace
Old Thu Sep 06, 2012, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
This is why Robert there is a "Spirit of the Rule" portion of most rulebooks. Not every situation is going to be clearly stated and accepted if you are trying to find nits in every word or statement.
Sure, but hardly any of them are resolved by the presumed spirit of the rule either -- this one, for instance.
Old Thu Sep 06, 2012, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct1 View Post
are you being intentionally obtuse?
always!

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith