The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jan 23, 2012, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
The hit could have come a second later after the second foot came down and he had not controlled the ball and made a "football move" it is still incomplete. The feet coming down is only apart of a catch, other things have to happen to complete that catch. And as I stated before, it it would not be ruled a catch an a fumble in the middle of the field, it certainly is not going to be ruled the same at in the end zone.

Peace
I agree...there's an element of time involved in making a catch...a lot of people assume ball in hand+two feet=instant catch...if this were true, there would be a lot of "cheap" fumbles.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Jan 23, 2012, 04:28pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
The hit could have come a second later after the second foot came down and he had not controlled the ball and made a "football move" it is still incomplete. The feet coming down is only apart of a catch, other things have to happen to complete that catch. And as I stated before, it it would not be ruled a catch an a fumble in the middle of the field, it certainly is not going to be ruled the same at in the end zone.

Peace
So if this was a HS game and you were on that play, would you have ruled it a TD, Jeff? Just trying to understand the rule better without having to listen to the mouths on the tv...
Old Mon Jan 23, 2012, 04:36pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
So if this was a HS game and you were on that play, would you have ruled it a TD, Jeff? Just trying to understand the rule better without having to listen to the mouths on the tv...
No I would not. And fortunately or unfortunately I was on YouTube with a similar call in my State Final game in November. I use the same basic philosophy in both HS and college games. And unlike D1 college or most HS games, we have no replay. You better hand me the ball after all of that if I did not rule you made a football move before hitting the ground or getting hit by a defender. And at those levels they need just one foot down in most cases (they can be pushed out to complete a pass).

Peace
Old Tue Jan 24, 2012, 07:12am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
And unlike D1 college or most HS games, we have no replay. You better hand me the ball after all of that if I did not rule you made a football move before hitting the ground or getting hit by a defender. And at those levels they need just one foot down in most cases (they can be pushed out to complete a pass).

Peace
Are you saying that if the receiver does not get a foot down but is pushed out thus preventing the foot down , then it can still be a completion? Don't have a clue about NFHS but that is not the case in NCAA.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2012, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXMike View Post
Are you saying that if the receiver does not get a foot down but is pushed out thus preventing the foot down , then it can still be a completion? Don't have a clue about NFHS but that is not the case in NCAA.
NFHS 2-4-1 "CATCH":

A catch is the act of establishing player possession of a live ball
which is in flight, and first contacting the ground inbounds or being contacted by
an opponent in such a way that he is prevented from returning to the ground
inbounds
while maintaining possession of the ball.
Old Tue Jan 24, 2012, 10:37am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Yes I am saying that.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 24, 2012, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Well, then I am saying that is NOT true under NCAA rules
Old Tue Jan 24, 2012, 11:02am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Well, then I am saying that is NOT true under NCAA rules
I already know this, which is why I put it the way I did. I was asked what I would call in a HS game and my HS games are under NF Rules.

Peace
Old Tue Jan 24, 2012, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I use the same basic philosophy in both HS and college games. And unlike D1 college or most HS games, we have no replay. You better hand me the ball after all of that if I did not rule you made a football move before hitting the ground or getting hit by a defender. And at those levels they need just one foot down in most cases (they can be pushed out to complete a pass).

Peace
You indicated at "those levels" (plural) which makes it appear you are referring to HS and college.