The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 31, 2008, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesears View Post

That's when I flagged him for Unsportsmanlike Conduct. His response, "I still get one more before I'm gone."
"that's right, and here it is!"

Coaches deserve the utmost respect but when they continually disrespect you. I have often in the past been extremely lenient with coaches because I know the job is difficult. But so is ours.

Think you did the right thing when you told the coach you heard enough about that play. Then he still came on the field and was yelling disrespectfully. His response about one more was telling you he was still going to keep talking, time for him to go.

I like to think a disqualified coach dismisses himself. I had a coach yell out to my LJ one time, "you're all getting zeroes" (meaning our rating). The LJ tosses the flag. As I come over to find out why his flag was down the coach came over to listen.

I calmly informed the coach he was ejected and his response was surprise.

I retorted, "You don't want to be here with us zeroes."
Old Fri Oct 31, 2008, 02:34pm
Official Forum Member

It sounds like you put up with a little more than you should, but that isn't a criticism. At your level, I did that as well. Probably still do, in fact.

Quote:
His response, "I still get one more before I'm gone."
This is an automatic flag. It is essentially saying, "I have no respect for your authority."
Old Fri Oct 31, 2008, 04:10pm
Official Forum Member

Ed, you just about gave me heart failure. I see the first post in this thread and Mike Sears is talking about being a new official and I know I have been reading his posts for years. I think I must be losing my mind, then I see this is an eight year old post.
Old Fri Oct 31, 2008, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

When the coach gets hot & heavy explain to him that you just saved a ton of money by switching your car insurance to GEICO...
Old Fri Oct 31, 2008, 04:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue37 View Post
Ed, you just about gave me heart failure. I see the first post in this thread and Mike Sears is talking about being a new official and I know I have been reading his posts for years. I think I must be losing my mind, then I see this is an eight year old post.

Dear Blue, you're not the only one...
Old Fri Oct 31, 2008, 04:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I was wondering about that Mike Sears has been posting here for years.
Old Fri Oct 31, 2008, 04:52pm
Official Forum Member

Blast from the past. Wow.

This is my fifth year and last week was the first time I'd ever thrown a 15 USC for a coach chirping (there have been other times I've let stuff go that was over the line and regretted it, but that didn't have bearing on this instance).

Chirping is annoying, but, fine, vent. But when you question my integrity or that of the crew, I'm not putting up with it. I got him in the first quarter and while one of his assistants, very sotto voce, was speaking about us the second quarter, there weren't many peeps out of them the second half.

I agree with Rut - you shouldn't have rabbit ears is one thing that was taught to me early on. But when they cross that line, nail 'em.

Coach management is something I need to work on, too. Because my nature is to rip a guy, and you can't do that.

One reason I loved being a back judge. Only we don't have them sub-varsity here.
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.
Old Fri Oct 31, 2008, 11:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

You and I both. I thought there was something in that energy drink I had prior to my game tonight.
Old Sat Nov 01, 2008, 09:16am
Official Forum Member

My big pet peeve at the peewee level is a coach who says, "I just want it called both ways." You've heard them. A few weeks ago I finally flagged a coach after I heard him say that 10 times. Incessantly saying that phrase, to me, implies I have no integrity.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2008, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by prosec34 View Post
My big pet peeve at the peewee level is a coach who says, "I just want it called both ways." You've heard them. A few weeks ago I finally flagged a coach after I heard him say that 10 times. Incessantly saying that phrase, to me, implies I have no integrity.
Try this next time: "Coach, if I could get the other team to start committing as many fouls as your kids, we could make that happen!"
Old Mon Nov 03, 2008, 12:20pm
Get away from me, Steve.

I'll let them vent, but once we've had another play I expect it to stop.

One of my challenges as a white hat is to ignore the sidelines. I've done that very well this year. Twice I've addressed the sidelines -- both times the coach kept repeating himself loudly and I figured the only way to handle it was to say something. So I raised my hand and said, "I heard you. That play's over. Move on," or something like that. Once I had to follow up with a stern "No more."

I did have an USC against a coach in a varsity game a few weeks ago, but he screamed a profanity and knew he had it coming (matter of fact multiple flags went flying on that one).

Watching the Lions/Bears game yesterday, I couldn't believe how much crap NFL wings have to take. And apparently, the coach has free reign to say whatever he wants, cause I lipread quite a few MFers directed at the officiating crew by the Lions' coach and the official pretty much pretended the coach wasn't there and never addressed him. Honestly, if that's what it takes to be an NFL official, I'm not sure it would ever be the gig for me.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2008, 12:31pm
Official Forum Member

I dont think there is any question you handled it well. As for the R being a young guy....I make them in my sub varsity games. That way they can develop a presence, an understanding of the rules and its a nice little day off of sorts from the WH. As for dealing with coaches, everyone struggles with it. Over time you will develop how much you want to take. Veterans know what to say. Always answer a direct question---and answer it in as few words as possible. On the warsity level I never talk to assistant coaches...and I rarely do much talking at a sub varsity game. The sideline warining is a nice tool to use -- but only if it will help with a situation. The other thing is just to concentrate on your job....remember you cant quote silience. Show no reaction and they will go about their business. Unfortunately, I have come to experience that most sub varsity coaches believe they are coaching for a championship ring that day.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2008, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

RichMSN's post prompts this question. I had a HS varsity sideline a few weeks ago that it seemed the coaches were competing with each other as to how many F-bombs they could say or shout. Head coach and most of the assistants were perpetrators. It was almost like they didn't think they would be heard or respected if they didn't use one (or more) in each sentence. No flags becuase none were directed at an official. HS administrator(s) on the sideline -- had to hear most of these or at least no it was a habit with these coaches. HS games are supposed to be "an extension of the classroom." These were gutless administrators who compromised on decency in the schools because this is a "winning program." Is this common in your area or does your association expect you to police coaches' behavior with their players also?
Old Mon Nov 03, 2008, 12:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk65 View Post
RichMSN's post prompts this question. I had a HS varsity sideline a few weeks ago that it seemed the coaches were competing with each other as to how many F-bombs they could say or shout.
I would think that the most any individual could drop would be 2. Not much of a contest if you ask me.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2008, 01:13pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk65 View Post
RichMSN's post prompts this question. I had a HS varsity sideline a few weeks ago that it seemed the coaches were competing with each other as to how many F-bombs they could say or shout. Head coach and most of the assistants were perpetrators. It was almost like they didn't think they would be heard or respected if they didn't use one (or more) in each sentence. No flags becuase none were directed at an official. HS administrator(s) on the sideline -- had to hear most of these or at least no it was a habit with these coaches. HS games are supposed to be "an extension of the classroom." These were gutless administrators who compromised on decency in the schools because this is a "winning program." Is this common in your area or does your association expect you to police coaches' behavior with their players also?
I would definitely deal with this. Eject if need be.