The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 03, 2008, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Had a first on Sunday. Youth game, probably enough said, 7-8 years olds in an instructional league where coaches are on the field, I know, lucky me.

Runner gets tackled high as tackler wraps arm around runner under the helmet. Runner lying on the ground complains and coach on the field hollers "face mask." I tell him there was no face mask but he needs to attend to his player. Another coach comes on the field to also attend to the player and also yells "face mask." Might think if the first coach got no satisfaction the second one would not.

After attending to the player second coach walks off with player to coaching box. As play resumes the second coach throws the player's helmet about 15-20 yards downfield. Then retrieves it and throws it back about 20 yards.

That is when I tossed him.

Few plays later player from opposing teams lands out of bounds. A "coach" starts yelling at him getting in his face. In shock, I did not throw a flag just admonished the coach.

Too bad the kids love playing football and cannot leave the "coaches" home. Of course, one "coach" will be home next week.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2008, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

I am in no way suggesting that anyone go looking for trouble, and I understand coaching can be a very frustrating experience, but if, "the coaches were competing with each other as to how many F-bombs they could say or shout.", you need to call their attention to the simple fact they are behaving badly and advise them to stop.

First, because you don't want them to make complete fools out of themselves and alerting them to how bad they are sounding is an act of professional curtesy, and second (if need be) they are violating
NF 9.8.1.a, "Using profanity, insulting or vulgar language or gestures." (Note there is no mention as to whom the objectionable language is directed to).
Old Mon Nov 03, 2008, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
I am in no way suggesting that anyone go looking for trouble, and I understand coaching can be a very frustrating experience, but if, "the coaches were competing with each other as to how many F-bombs they could say or shout.", you need to call their attention to the simple fact they are behaving badly and advise them to stop.
F-bombs around here don't get warnings, they get penalized. Any sport.
Old Mon Nov 03, 2008, 10:17pm
Official Forum Member

I have two things to add that you may find serve you well in your career. First learn the difference between clipping and blocking in the back. They are different. Second, never have the attitude that it is "your" field. That sounds arrogant.
Old Tue Nov 04, 2008, 12:06am
Official Forum Member

Being a first-year guy, I probably take much more than what I should. Probably because I'm not really sure where my "line" is yet, and whether or not a coach crosses it.

I had a youth game last weekend, where a coach was upset about a (I believe) DPI call against them called by the LJ across the field from me. I gave him an explanation, but he didn't like it. Then in the second half, his team was on defense and there was a possible block in the back committed by the offense on a sweep to my side. All I saw from the right corner of my eye was the defensive player falling down, but saw no contact so I couldn't throw a flag for it. Shortly after I hear "These guys must be blind today" (yeah, probably should've thrown it). However, I heard but didn't see the person say it, so I didn't flag it because it may not have been a coach. Although it probably was since all the fans were on the opposite side of the field. But since I did not see the act, and didn't know exactly which coach it was, I decided to keep the flag in my waist.
Old Tue Nov 04, 2008, 10:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to Tom Hinrichs
[QUOTE=JRutledge;5724]Why not? That is how they learn that position and how they understand the rules better. If it was not a Varsity game, I see no problem with that, as long as that person can handle themselves.

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy_Driver:
[B]Why is a 2nd year official wearing the white hat in the first place?
I have been a white hat since my second year, and have been in the position for 10 years.
Old Tue Nov 04, 2008, 02:09pm
Official Forum Member

Deciding to keep your flag in your waist, for someone suggesting you are visually challenged, may be one of the better decisions you made that game. As many have pointed out when someone questions your integrity, swears directly at you or makes a directly personal derogatory comment, a flag may well be appropriate.

You will find officiating a lot more enjoyable if you learn to ignore the stupid and silly comments, unless, and until, they become so consistent and repetitive that you cannot ignore them.
Old Tue Nov 04, 2008, 02:33pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Personal, persistent, or profane.

That simple rule has saved me many times from wrong USC flags. And also reminded me to throw them at the right time too.
Old Tue Nov 04, 2008, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

i just got scheduled for my youth games this weekend, and was told if a coach opens his mouth about a call, flag, then if he does it again, flag again and eject. I have only worked this league once this year, and I guess the coaches are being a little rough on the officials this year, and the officials are letting them get away with it. He also told me if it a $500 fine + suspension if they are ejected so lets teach them a lesson.

Sort of an odd request from the scheduler but I guess he wants to cut the crap. We'll see what happens. Not sure why I am being told to do this, guess he must think I can deal with the follow up crap...
Old Tue Nov 04, 2008, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcl1127 View Post
He also told me if it a $500 fine + suspension if they are ejected so lets teach them a lesson.
Holy jeebus.

$500?
"And I'm not just some fan, I've refereed football and basketball in addition to all the baseball I've umpired. I've never made a call that horrible in my life in any sport."---Greatest. Official. Ever.