The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

QB fumble?

NFHS

QB A1 is attempting to pass the ball, but ends up scrambling. B2 dives at A1's feet and causes A1 to stumble forward. A1 stumbles a minimum of 3 full steps albeit off balance before placing the football on the ground in order to regain his balance. A1's hand slides off the football which he placed on the ground. The ball stays exactly where A1 put it. A1 then fall to the ground about 3 yards ahead of the ball, reaches back and tries to recover the ball.
IS this a fumble? Or was it down when the ball touched the ground since the ground can't cause the fumble. How long is B2's contact a factor?
Rulebook citation appreciated.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

This is a fumble.

Nothing occurred that would cause the ball to become dead. I really wish the "the ground can't cause a fumble myth" would die.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

The runner lost possession. By rule that's a fumble (2-18). As ITS points out, nothing happened that would make the ball dead (the ways the ball becomes dead are listed in 4-2-2).
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 09:03am
Official Forum Member

John Madden, all by himself, has made all of our lives more difficult. The ground CAN cause a fumble - the OP is the perfect example.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

We could amend it to: "the ground cannot cause a fumble once the runner is down," but that's not as catchy.

Also, it's kinda obvious and boring.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 09:59am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post
We could amend it to: "the ground cannot cause a fumble once the runner is down," but that's not as catchy.

I did not realize that people assumed that the line applied to this play.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 10:02am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by phansen View Post
QB A1 is attempting to pass the ball, but ends up scrambling. B2 dives at A1's feet and causes A1 to stumble forward. A1 stumbles a minimum of 3 full steps albeit off balance before placing the football on the ground in order to regain his balance. A1's hand slides off the football which he placed on the ground. The ball stays exactly where A1 put it. A1 then fall to the ground about 3 yards ahead of the ball, reaches back and tries to recover the ball.
IS this a fumble? Or was it down when the ball touched the ground since the ground can't cause the fumble. How long is B2's contact a factor?
CANADIAN RULING:

The ground most certainly can cause a fumble. And here's a play showing how.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 10:10am
Official Forum Member

Spoons don't make Rosie O'Donnell fat, Rosie makes Rosie fat and the ground doesn't cause a fumble, the runner causes a fumble.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 10:14am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by kdf5 View Post
Spoons don't make Rosie O'Donnell fat, Rosie makes Rosie fat and the ground doesn't cause a fumble, the runner causes a fumble.

+1

Both apply.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
NFHS

phansen---I am disappointed in your "ground can't cause a fumble" statement. You have been officiating and been around the game way too long to not only use this terminology, but use it as a guide in your officiating (and I assume as well your other part-time job in this area). On the other hand, you are recognizing we are never too old to continue to learn.

PS--Congrats on your award\honor last month. Very much deserved!!!
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 08:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDRef View Post
phansen---I am disappointed in your "ground can't cause a fumble" statement. You have been officiating and been around the game way too long to not only use this terminology, but use it as a guide in your officiating (and I assume as well your other part-time job in this area). On the other hand, you are recognizing we are never too old to continue to learn.

PS--Congrats on your award\honor last month. Very much deserved!!!
So sorry to disappoint. Guess I'm part of the group that is still learning. I've always falsely assumed "the ground can't cause a fumble" to be true until I saw this play and started evaluating it from an officials standpoint using the rules. Thanks mbyron for the rulebook citation.
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbcrowder View Post
John Madden, all by himself, has made all of our lives more difficult.
Which is crazy cause the ground can most definitely cause a fumble more so in the NFL, where a player (for the most part) is down by contact.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 10:20pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbyron View Post

Honestly, I have never can remember getting any crap from a coach or player about this. Maybe I need to get out more.

Peace
Old Wed Oct 26, 2011, 10:56pm
Official Forum Member

Leaving the ball on the ground is a fumble even if it's done deliberately. The fact that it's not a pass could make a difference in NCAA & NFL rules regarding their treatment of certain fumbles.
Old Thu Oct 27, 2011, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
So sorry to disappoint. Guess I'm part of the group that is still learning. I've always falsely assumed "the ground can't cause a fumble" to be true until I saw this play and started evaluating it from an officials standpoint using the rules. Thanks mbyron for the rulebook citation.
Glad to see you still learning! Good luck with the game on Saturday! I hope to see the Bison in Terre Haute next weekend!