The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

IW on GL Fumble.

We had a fifth quarter last night for a freshmen game. In our area just 12 plays each Offense, starting at the 25, giving some of the players time that don't play much. No clock, score isn't kept, no tries, any turnover simply returns the ball to the 25.

A drives down to about the 3. Next play is running play, A1 runs up the middle but loses the ball before the goal line (maybe 1/2 yard line), ball rolls into EZ and A1 falls on the ball in the EZ. L on opposite side blows an IW as ball is rolling in EZ. A1 was definitely not down. I'm ump, LJ and I look at each other trying to figure out what the options are. Given the nature of the situation, no score kept, etc. We restarted A back at 25.

Suggestions on the right ruling for "real" play? We ran the fifth qtr just like normal play, except for the mentioned anomalies.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 10:32am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by GBFBUmp
We had a fifth quarter last night for a freshmen game. In our area just 12 plays each Offense, starting at the 25, giving some of the players time that don't play much. No clock, score isn't kept, no tries, any turnover simply returns the ball to the 25.

A drives down to about the 3. Next play is running play, A1 runs up the middle but loses the ball before the goal line (maybe 1/2 yard line), ball rolls into EZ and A1 falls on the ball in the EZ. L on opposite side blows an IW as ball is rolling in EZ. A1 was definitely not down. I'm ump, LJ and I look at each other trying to figure out what the options are. Given the nature of the situation, no score kept, etc. We restarted A back at 25.

Suggestions on the right ruling for "real" play? We ran the fifth qtr just like normal play, except for the mentioned anomalies.
Team A option: DC @ PF or DR @ PLS.
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 10:48am
Official Forum Member

In the game you described, the player was down by contact. (I'm assuming your HL didn't signal TD.)

In a normal game situation, A has the choice of replaying the down or the result of the play. The whistle was blown while the ball was loose so result would be the end of the run. I don't have my book in front of me and it's been a long time since I've actually seen an IW, but I think that's right. If not, the board will correct me.

So, replay the down from the 3 or next down from the 1/2 yardline.

Then the HL has to buy beer for the rest of the season. There should never, ever, ever be an IW. (Yes, I had one when I was a rookie - cost me a couple of game checks in beer.)
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpson
In the game you described, the player was down by contact. (I'm assuming your HL didn't signal TD.)

You are correct, no TD signal. We contemplated those as the two options, and now that I think of it, we should have done it rather than just going back to 25, just to keep us thinking as officials and practice for us.

Coaches were more interested in seeing the players than listening to a bunch of officials discussing IW mechanics.

These 4-man lower level crews are thrown together based on availability, so I am not even thinking of seeing a free beer out of the IW. I may not see HL until next year
Old Fri Oct 13, 2006, 03:03pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpson

In a normal game situation, A has the choice of replaying the down or the result of the play. The whistle was blown while the ball was loose so result would be the end of the run. I don't have my book in front of me and it's been a long time since I've actually seen an IW, but I think that's right. If not, the board will correct me.

So, replay the down from the 3 or next down from the 1/2 yardline.

Then the HL has to buy beer for the rest of the season. There should never, ever, ever be an IW. (Yes, I had one when I was a rookie - cost me a couple of game checks in beer.)
It happens and it isn't the end of the world if it does. I would never expect a crew member to pay a "few game checks" in beer. Maybe one