The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 16, 2011, 01:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

Play clock and game clock ar the same.

I have never had this happen to us before at any level, but it happened Friday in our game.

In the 4th quarter we had a first down and the game clock stopped right at 25.0 seconds left in the game. My question is, does the team have to run a play when we start the clock again or do we have a penalty when the clock runs out for a delay of game if the ball is not snapped? This was a very small debate and no one said anything, but I was just wondering.

Peace
Old Sun Oct 16, 2011, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I have never had this happen to us before at any level, but it happened Friday in our game.

In the 4th quarter we had a first down and the game clock stopped right at 25.0 seconds left in the game. My question is, does the team have to run a play when we start the clock again or do we have a penalty when the clock runs out for a delay of game if the ball is not snapped? This was a very small debate and no one said anything, but I was just wondering.

Peace
Looking at 3-6-2, (NFHS) the rule states that it is a foul if the offense fails to put the ball into play "within 25 seconds". Mathematically, this sounds like the offense has "less than 25 seconds", not "less than or equal to 25 seconds".

I don't think anyone would really fight one ruling or the other, as long as you haven't been lax on the play clock so far that day. My crew chief probably wouldn't require a snap, especially if it's the end of a game and a 9 or more point score differential.
Old Sun Oct 16, 2011, 07:22pm
Official Forum Member

Id say since they have 25 seconds to snap the ball, theoretically the foul is when the 26th second has clicked off.
Old Sun Oct 16, 2011, 08:58pm
Official Forum Member

Under NCAA rules, (forget the 40 clock for a second; 25 is still relevant) the foul occurs when the clock hits :00 and the ball hasn't been snapped. Thus, there would be a foul here, but this is a dead ball foul which is enforced from the succeeding spot. Since the game clock has run out, there is no succeeding spot, and no way to enforce the foul. So ignore it.

Don't know for sure, but I'm guessing Fed rules are very similar if not the same.
Old Sun Oct 16, 2011, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Under NCAA rules, (forget the 40 clock for a second; 25 is still relevant) the foul occurs when the clock hits :00 and the ball hasn't been snapped. Thus, there would be a foul here, but this is a dead ball foul which is enforced from the succeeding spot. Since the game clock has run out, there is no succeeding spot, and no way to enforce the foul. So ignore it.

Don't know for sure, but I'm guessing Fed rules are very similar if not the same.
I would not have a foul here as the period has ended simultaneously to the play clock expiring.

If you called a foul, this would not qualify for extending a period because the foul did not occur during a play. The penalty would be from the previous spot, but since we can't extend the period, this would only mean that there is no foul at all. Period is over. No delay of game.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonTX View Post
I would not have a foul here as the period has ended simultaneously to the play clock expiring.

If you called a foul, this would not qualify for extending a period because the foul did not occur during a play. The penalty would be from the previous spot, but since we can't extend the period, this would only mean that there is no foul at all. Period is over. No delay of game.
I agree with your ruling, but your logic is odd. This could easily be the 1st or 3rd period we're talking about here. I think you're right that there's no foul here. But you seem to be including in your logic that this can't be a penalty because we can't extend the period, thus there is no foul.

There is either a foul, or not a foul - whether we can DO anything about it depends upon the period we're in. I do NOT believe, however, that this is a foul in any period.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

[QUOTE=jchamp;794378]Looking at 3-6-2, (NFHS) the rule states that it is a foul if the offense fails to put the ball into play "within 25 seconds". Mathematically, this sounds like the offense has "less than 25 seconds", not "less than or equal to 25 seconds".[/QUOTE

I interpret this as once you use 25 seconds you failed to comply with the rule.
Not a problem at the end of the 2nd and 4th quarters but there would be a problem in the 1st & 3rd quarters.
Delay of game assessed to start the 2nd and 4th periods.
R should state to the offense that they must get a play off before time runs out.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 02:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to Jim S Send a message via AIM to Jim S
Don't dig a hole that you might have to lay in!

Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2, Read Rule 2!
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 03:44pm
Get away from me, Steve.

[QUOTE=Ia-Ref;794760]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jchamp View Post
Looking at 3-6-2, (NFHS) the rule states that it is a foul if the offense fails to put the ball into play "within 25 seconds". Mathematically, this sounds like the offense has "less than 25 seconds", not "less than or equal to 25 seconds".[/QUOTE

I interpret this as once you use 25 seconds you failed to comply with the rule.
Not a problem at the end of the 2nd and 4th quarters but there would be a problem in the 1st & 3rd quarters.
Delay of game assessed to start the 2nd and 4th periods.
R should state to the offense that they must get a play off before time runs out.
This isn't the end of the stick I would choose to pick up. The quarter ends at 0. I'll let any of the four quarters end and will tell the QB "you DON'T have to snap it."
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 03:50pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Lightbulb Canadian Ruling

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
CANADIAN RULING:

Game over.
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 04:27pm
Official & ***** Member

I agree with the "no foul" crowd. Since there's no provision for enforcement if this happens at the end of the 2nd or 4th quarter, I don't see how we can enforce it at the end of the 1st or 3rd quarters.

But it's certainly a poor job by the ECO!
Old Tue Oct 18, 2011, 11:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I agree with your ruling, but your logic is odd. This could easily be the 1st or 3rd period we're talking about here. I think you're right that there's no foul here. But you seem to be including in your logic that this can't be a penalty because we can't extend the period, thus there is no foul.
First, the OP said this was the end of the game, which is what all responses here are based on. First, second, and third quarter situations are irrelevent since they differ. Second, Jason responded to my post which was based on this happening under NCAA rules, and there is nothing illogical about the position you reference. What I originally meant was that "technically," there is a foul when the play clock hits :00 and no play has been run. However, since this is a dead ball foul, and DBFs are enforced from the succeeding spot, there can be no enforcement and thus no need to call a foul. Again, nothing illogical about this.
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

In HFHS, where the referee sets the clock with a whistle, this should never be an issue. An experienced referee will never pop his whistle with 25 seconds on the clock. 24 or 26, yes--but not 15
Old Wed Oct 19, 2011, 08:41am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Minnestoa Re View Post
In HFHS, where the referee sets the clock with a whistle, this should never be an issue. An experienced referee will never pop his whistle with 25 seconds on the clock. 24 or 26, yes--but not 15
However, if the previous play included a major clock stopper and the operator stops the clock at 25.0, there's no choice for the referee.

And an experienced referee would never "pop" on a running clock at 26 seconds. He'd hesitate and wait until it was just under 25.