The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Oct 08, 2011, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

R's -- keeping track of TO's on the fly

Yes, I write it all down -- qtr. and time -- but I'd like to get some ideas on how to keep track of TOs for each team so I can immediately say on the mic, "TO, __, their __ charged TO of the half." My memory alone just won't serve me and I don't want to make an error on the mic.

Ideas or what do you guys use?
Old Sat Oct 08, 2011, 09:07pm
Official Forum Member

I have 3 down indicator's, one on my left hand for the down. Two on my right hand for each team's TO's. Start all on thumb than 1st and middle for home, little and 3rd for visitor's.
For home team 1st T.O. index finger, 2nd T.O. middle, 3rd both. I know it might be strange but it works for me.
Old Sun Oct 09, 2011, 03:26am
Official Forum Member

It takes that long to pull the card out of the pocket and glance at it???
Old Sun Oct 09, 2011, 12:55pm
Chain of Fools

This sounds strangely familiar. Hmmmmm???

R's: How do you keep track of TOs on the fly?
Old Sun Oct 09, 2011, 06:43pm
Official Forum Member

Same request, different group of R's.

Mike, you can get the card out of the wallet, look at it, put it back, all while lowering your hands from signaling a TO and the direction of a team?
Old Sun Oct 09, 2011, 06:55pm
Official Forum Member

No But I can signal to stop the clock (assuming my crewmates have not done so already), pull the card, see the #, put the card back, face the pressbox, hit the mike switch, signal TO, point to calling team and announce "Timeout by Jefferson, that is their 2d charged timeout" in 5 seconds. Is that too long???
Old Mon Oct 10, 2011, 12:57pm
Official Forum Member

I've been looking for a trick too. I've found the best is still the old "quickly pull out the card and check" works the best. Though I have also become much better at just remembering. Another way is to have your umpire to the check and let you know as you are getting ready to make the announcement.
Old Tue Oct 11, 2011, 07:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Aggie View Post
Yes, I write it all down -- qtr. and time -- but I'd like to get some ideas on how to keep track of TOs for each team so I can immediately say on the mic, "TO, __, their __ charged TO of the half." My memory alone just won't serve me and I don't want to make an error on the mic.

Ideas or what do you guys use?
And I thought I was the only one. Since I face the pressbox while announcing,I have my line judge indicate how many time outs remain. Likewise, on penalties he indicates the next down. It is amazing what the brain will forget in the middle of an announcement. A quick glance at the LJ solves the problem.
Old Sat Oct 15, 2011, 12:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But I can signal to stop the clock (assuming my crewmates have not done so already), pull the card, see the #, put the card back, face the pressbox, hit the mike switch, signal TO, point to calling team and announce "Timeout by Jefferson, that is their 2d charged timeout" in 5 seconds. Is that too long???
Yes, it is. I'm trying to streamline the process.
Old Thu Oct 20, 2011, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

My crew notes the time and quarter on each TO as a group immediately after they are called and I have anoounced who called and which TO this is in the period. BJ has Ready Ref timer just started or running at this point and then I gather with the Ump, BJ creeps in to confirm count and we share that all around the board. Between maybe a brief discussion with my UMP or BJ who may or may not mention something they've seen during the course of the game, we will all look at each other and confirm how many are left for both teams with fingers in the air from the wings pointing to each side with fingers showing who has what left...and I'll have the wings tell the coaches the TO's remaining for his team and the opponent, if they ask. Late in the game they will usually just inform them of both teams' status.

In the event you forget...yanking the card is a safe bet. I know guys that use baseball ump clickers to keep track, as well. I think double down markers would drive me nuts, but if it works, it works.
Old Sat Oct 22, 2011, 09:48pm
Official Forum Member

The problem with yanking the card is that I use the Honigs "book" style with their card. I would have to pull it out, open it up, pull the card out (if its on the back of how I put the card back the last time), THEN put the card back in, close it, put it in the pocket, then give the signal. That's 6-8 seconds. I've been looking for a better bookkeeping option, but that's what I've used for years.

The clicker is not a bad idea, though. I may look into a lap counter of some sort as well.
Old Sun Oct 23, 2011, 07:19am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

If you're a basketball referee, you're taught in some lands to simply remember the timeout situation.
Old Sun Oct 23, 2011, 07:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
If you're a basketball referee, you're taught in some lands to simply remember the timeout situation.
That's what I've been thinking for this entire thread: in basketball you have 5 for each team, and they come in 2 flavors!

But we football officials have to remember enforcements, and you can remember only so much...
Old Sun Oct 23, 2011, 11:51am
Official Forum Member

I have a unique way of doing it. With my right hand, I reach into my shirt pocket and pull out my card. With both eyes I read the timeouts on the card. Again, with my right hand, I place the card back into my shirt pocket. Then I use the mike to announce who has taken the timeout and how many they have used that half. I know it's a bit complicated but it has worked for me. I've always gotten the number correct. I guess I am one of those who is not ashamed to read my card in full view of everyone. If you try this method, let me know how it works for you.
Old Sun Oct 23, 2011, 07:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
you're taught in some lands to simply remember the timeout situation
Actually, no, you don't. If a team requests a timeout in hoops, you grant it. If they're out, you call a T. But even if that wasn't the case, the hoops official still only needs to remember if either team has a timeout left or if they're out.

Totally different situation in a different (and shorter) game where the responsibilities are much different.