The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Dec 30, 2001, 06:37pm
Official Forum Member

Even at varsity games this year, the scorer's table frequently is not doing a very good job w/ the AP arrow. Many refs use a rubber band on their wrist to ensure proper AP distribution. Other refs say "it doesn't look good." I used to wear a rubber band but got rid of it last year to try to "look better." Of course, I had two games where the arrow got screwed up and had a heck of a time remembering the last held ball prior to that. So this year I've been wearing it again and it's very handy. Friday I had a varsity game and the R told me he doesn't need one. We had two held balls near the end of a close game and both times he came to me and asked if the arrow was right.

So I'm interested in hearing some varying opinions on this. And does anyone have a different technique to "keep tabs" on the scorer's table that looks better than switching a rubber band from wrist to wrist?

Thanks!

Z
Old Sun Dec 30, 2001, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

I keep a spare whistle in my pocket and use it for AP. (Although I have never had to use the spare during a game)
Old Sun Dec 30, 2001, 06:46pm
Official Forum Member

Two of the things I've heard over the years:

A package of "mints" in the pants pockets (or backup whistle, etc.).

Some sort of indicator on the whistle. I'm not sure exactly how this worked, though.

As a scorer myself, I find the easiest way to avoid AP problems is to:
(a) Check the arrow at the table at every AP throw-in and also at all of the other throw-ins (to make sure it doesn't switch).
(b) Make sure the table knows that a jump ball has been called, especially with situations that are 'jump ball by rule' (double fouls, etc.). Sometimes the official's thumbs up can't be seen when screened out by 10 6'2" players!

Personally, it's amazing that, in only five years, I went from someone who thought the posession arrow switched whenever the ball changed hands to someone who can actually keep track of the arrow.
Old Sun Dec 30, 2001, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

I've never used a rubber band, whistle or anything else. I think it's just as easy to forget to switch such things as it is for the scorer to screw up the arrow.

My method is simple. After the jump ball, I check to make sure the arrow is pointed in the right direction. I then make a mental note of who got the opening tip based on what transpired after control was established. I make it a priority to remember which team has the arrow. When we have a held ball, I don't look at the arrow. I know which way we're going. After the throw-in is complete or a violation or foul occurs, I check the table to make sure it's correct

Three times in the past two weeks, I found the arrow set incorrectly after the opening jump ball. Nothing special, just paying attention.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Sun Dec 30, 2001, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

Ya know how we are supposed to carry a spare whistle..., I started putting it in my pocket this year. I had a grade school game tonight w/ volunteer scorers (one of the coaches was my father, relevent from a previous post,and the other was the coach I had in grade school, and I had no problems, they both acted very professional and used reff instead of my name, I prefer that, I like to think it shows that I am imparshal (sp?) they got the arrow mixed up during the first quarter, the whistle in my pocket saved my me. I had no partner to turn to because it was a grade school game, and my father, the coach, felt that he only needed one official, but it wasn't that bad. the major downside was not getting the angle, but everyone seemed to understand I couldn't see everything, I don't think I will officiate solo for a while though... Getting back to the subject, I like the whistle in the pocket, Good luck

Doug
Old Sun Dec 30, 2001, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

I have used the rubber band thing in the past but don't use it anymore. I like to go over in pregame with my psrtner (especially at lower level games) on what to do about arrow problems. I can usually remember who had the last arrow. If my partner and I are both thinking about it then we can avoid problems.

A while back I was video taping a game that some of our rookies were officiating. They were having constant problems with the AP arrow. One of the officials made repeated trips to the scorer's table to try to resolve the problem. He finally got sick of it and threatened a 'T' to the home team if they didn't figure it out. I told him at half time to forget about the arrow and keep track of it himself and with his partner. I told him that the people running the arrow and the clock were part of the officiating team and to call a 'T' on the home team would unfairly punish them for an official error.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2001, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally posted by zebraman

...Friday I had a varsity game and the R told me he doesn't need one. We had two held balls near the end of a close game and both times he came to me and asked if the arrow was right. ...

Z
Of course he doesn't need one, he has you!

I like Tony's post. Keep the arrow in your head, it keeps
you in the game. If you make sure the table has it right
after every AP sitch then you can glance over to it every
now & then to remind yourself if you do lose track. I also
make it a priority to know which way the arrow's going.

Old Mon Dec 31, 2001, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Just my ywo cents worth. There's the arrow, and there are also scorebooks. Most books have a place for AP/POB or whatever they decide to call it. Scorekeepers should be writing it down as well. Of course they may not figure out how to write it down as bad as messing up the arrow.
Old Mon Dec 31, 2001, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Kelvin green
Just my ywo cents worth. There's the arrow, and there are also scorebooks. Most books have a place for AP/POB or whatever they decide to call it.
I find that there are still books that don't have this, just as they don't have a place for the officials to be listed or signed. Seems like coaches get a scorebook that they like and won't change.

Quote:
Scorekeepers should be writing it down as well. Of course they may not figure out how to write it down as bad as messing up the arrow.
True. Many of them still don't list the players in numerical order. I don't know how they're able to record things properly.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith